Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Pillows are for first class passengers only!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2017, 9:13 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Alaska 75K, United Platinum
Originally Posted by Wildman
I have been flying for many years and have never seen a FA take a pillow away from a passenger, let alone a child. To the first FA, I wanted respond that maybe she doesn't know that last flight in C+ they gave us a pillow, blanket, eye mask, tooth brush & paste, and headphones......so no I do NOT know that pillows are for first class passengers only. I have never even heard of such a thing before this flight.
Oh please.......a 12 year old is not a “child” and frankly I feel very sorry for the little snowflake you are raising because he is going to be in for quite a rude awakening when he realizes that life will f*ck him way harder than this someday.

And you received your pillow and amenity kit of your last flight in C+ because it was a long international flight. I would think that someone with over 100k miles on Delta this years would be able to make that distinction.
jamesteroh and seat38a like this.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 9:32 am

Programs: DL-Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Ordhater
I'm with the OP on this one. If a first class passenger puts their pillow or blanket in the overhead bin, they most likely don't intend to use it. I don't see anything wrong with another passenger using it, since it's not uncommon for flight attendants to retrieve unused pillows or blankets for coach passengers who request them.

Flame away.
Except thats contrary to what others have said in this and other threads, some FC passengers put it in bins initially for various reasons ie: meal service, with intent to retrieve later.....in this case it was a C+ bin so not quite the situation, just pointing out that FC passengers putting pillow in bin doesn't mean they will not use it
Old Oct 24, 2017, 9:52 am
Suspended

You tried to raid the storage compartment for amenities you were not entitled to. The only problem here is you.
FlyingNone likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Proudelitist
You tried to raid the storage compartment for amenities you were not entitled to. The only problem here is you.
You mean the "dedicated" bin that said "Comfort Plus" that was right above the seat OP was assigned to? I missed the part that said you can put things in there but you can't take them out. Get a grip. Thinking the pillow was available for use was completely reasonable. Nobody memorizes every airline's amenity chart for all classes of service.

The conversation escalated and we really don't know why. Probably could have been handled better from both sides, but I can certainly see a scenario with a basic "you can't have the pillow" was responded with a basic "but it was right above my seat in the Comfort+ bin and we just had pillows on our last segment", and then the FA goes off the rail.
bergamini likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by spd476
It sounds the pillows were in the bin directly above the OP's seat. I think a lot of people would assume they are available for them. Aren't the bins in the C+ section advertised as "exclusively for the use of C+ passengers" or is that a different airline?

The FA could have handled that in a better manner. If they left the pillows in that bin, the OP could have waited until the plane was in the air and grabbed one.
I thought the OP grabbed them from an F bin not C+. If the pillows and blankets were in a C+ bin then it makes sense C+ passengers would have thought they were for C+, a first class passenger that was stowing a blanket for later use would put it in the bin above their seats and the blankets and pillows for the first class passengers should have already been on the first class seats prior to boarding. Didn't Delta used to put blankets in one of the coach overheads for passengers to grab on long haul redeyes?
Old Oct 24, 2017, 10:47 am
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
My guess is that this didn't happen on an Endeavor operated flight, probably a trash airline like ExpressJet or GoJet. Whether you're on AA, DL, or UA, if you're not on a regional aircraft owned by AA or DL, you're going to get subpar service.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 10:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DCP2016
My guess is that this didn't happen on an Endeavor operated flight, probably a trash airline like ExpressJet or GoJet. Whether you're on AA, DL, or UA, if you're not on a regional aircraft owned by AA or DL, you're going to get subpar service.
My worst experiences have been SkyWest.
DCP2016 likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 11:06 am

Why is it that in three pages of comments, unless I missed it, no one has pointed out the most obvious thing that I always do when I want something, and that is ASK FOR IT? Hate to be like every other FT thread and jump on the blame the OP bandwagon, but it was so simple. Last time I was in C+ and wanted a blanket, I asked the FA and she got me one and she was very nice about it. I would be willing to bet if I asked if there were any extra pillows, she would have gone into F and asked if anyone was not using their pillows. I have been on flights where the FA has come through F and asked if anyone didn't want their pillow. Taking things without asking, as you learned in pre-school usually doesn't illicit a good response. People have no manners these days...and I am saying that as a millennial!
Adam1222 likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 11:11 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by The Situation
Why is it that in three pages of comments, unless I missed it, no one has pointed out the most obvious thing that I always do when I want something, and that is ASK FOR IT? Hate to be like every other FT thread and jump on the blame the OP bandwagon, but it was so simple. Last time I was in C+ and wanted a blanket, I asked the FA and she got me one and she was very nice about it. I would be willing to bet if I asked if there were any extra pillows, she would have gone into F and asked if anyone was not using their pillows. I have been on flights where the FA has come through F and asked if anyone didn't want their pillow. Taking things without asking, as you learned in pre-school usually doesn't illicit a good response. People have no manners these days...and I am saying that as a millennial!
^

Completely agreed. Asking nicely goes an incredibly long way.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 11:12 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I've been on several flights this year (mainline) where FAs distributed pillows and blankets to a few people who requested them in Y/C+. IDK if they just provision extra on some flights or what, but I had no idea pillows/blankets were an FC *only* thing domestically. I just figured they provisioned several in Y and it was first come, first served. Also, aren't the blue blankets specifically designed for Y (though I've seen them, often in a mixture of the gray ones distributed on FC seats).

The FA's response was stupid and rude. Beyond that, if these were above OP's seat, and not in FC bins, then why should the OP have presumed they were exclusively for F? Granted, I think asking is generally the best practice, I don't see how what the OP did was so awful.
altabello likes this.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 11:32 am

Programs: DL PM. 1MM
Originally Posted by GatorBlues
I'm certain that I've had pillows in coach. Are they provided in coach on longer flights or red eyes? Or, did Delta stop providing them in coach at some point?
They definitely use to provide blanket in main cabin (and especially C+) on red eye flights. Pillows ia different story however. Not sure when they stopped blankets but recently I flew SEA-JFK red eye in C+ and was surprised there was not a single blanket to be found in C+ or Main. Many passengers were asking for blankets and the first few people who asked (myself included) received a blanket but soon the FA said "Sorry we are out of blankets".

I was never aware that blankets were only for F. If I saw blankets in the overhead bins above C+ or main cabin I would assume they were for those passengers seated in those sections. And I would (and have many times) grabbed a blanket as I take my seat. I will continue doing this. And if none are to be found and I want one I will continue to ask the FA. No it's not polite to take something that is on the F seat but things in the bin above main cabin is fair game for everyone. Full stop.

Moreover, You elitists are being ridiculous about this whole "only F pax" get blankets. Get a grip.
Old Oct 24, 2017, 12:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond. LT SkyClub, AGR, passport
Originally Posted by GatorBlues
I've never heard that pillows are for FC only and I have flown often for many years.

Even assuming that they are for FC only, it was an honest mistake by the passenger. Thus, the FA should have handled it without being rude. I've encountered rude FAs on Delta more frequently in the last year than I did in the previous five. Maybe my experience is just an unlucky statistical outlier, or maybe Delta's customer service is sliding.
I see by the other thread that this has been discussed in the past. I did not know pillows are for first class, so yes my mistake. The FA thought I knew it, I rarely used the pillows and this was not in a sealed plastic bag either, it was in the overhead bin. I have never even heard of a pillow issue prior to this flight.

I did not think I was entitled to it, I never considered that I was taking someone's pillow. Never occurred to me that pillows were for FC. I have flown several international flights and usually get UG'd to F, so I see pillows lying around everywhere....
Old Oct 24, 2017, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
Not to state the obvious, but DL per DL's website pillows and blankets are a first class amentity and are not offered in C+ except on JFK-SFO and JFK-LAX.

While the OP may have a case that the FA could have handled things more politely, the OP should not feel entitled to have a pillow and blanket for a twelve year-old. Moreover, it's a 12 year-old, not a 2 year-old. Might be a good time to start teaching them that life isn't always fair.
Did not feel entitled, never thought about it before. I see pillows lying around everywhere. This was not in a seal plastic bag, like our previous flight that day. Kid never complained, she just went to sleep. I just felt embarrassed that I was accused of stealing two pillows in front of her and could not respond without possible threat of some other action. Just sit there and take it...."thank you Sir, may I have another!"
Old Oct 24, 2017, 12:36 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Originally Posted by Wildman
Flying last leg of a fairly long international itinerary, a less than two hour domestic segment on CRJ. My twelve year old wants a pillow and blanket to sleep. We are seated in comfort plus.
Has anyone else seen a FA demand a pillow back from a passenger? I could understand it, if I had taken it off a F seat, but not an overhead compartment.
------------------
You needed to clarify that you "stole" the pillow/bedding from the F-class cabin, the cabin you were NOT sitting in/ticketed for. Seriously, you are trying to justify this ?
Old Oct 24, 2017, 12:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by C W
It's pretty simple...

Seriously, you can't grab an "unused" FC meal from the galley, why can you steal other amenities?

DYKWIA factors including miles flown on Delta and the presence of children are not relevant.
Apparently even flying that much I am clueless about the pillow issue. Never thought about it before, on the international flights they are lying around all over. Never bought up DYKWIA, maybe you and the FA are omniscient and know what I am thinking right now....The FA accused me of knowing what I had done. Well the fact is that there are many passengers, some who travel a lot, that would be surprised to find out that PILLOWS ARE FOR FIRST CLASS PASSENGERS ONLY! and I am the last person that would steal anything....in the case of theft intent is a major factor is determining whether someone is guilty or not.

So I plea NOT GUILTY! wrong yes, but I did not steal anything. Furthermore, the child being present is the only reason we had a pillow issue. I did need it or ever used them. My child wanted it. Of course I wouldn't need to tell someone like you the details, because you already KNOW what happened ....Omniscient one

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.