Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

No first-class meal on a 2000+ mile flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2017, 8:25 am
Original Poster

Looking at SEA-RDU on Delta, there is no meal in first class. Flight time is 11:34 AM to 7:47 PM. How is that possible? Am I reading something wrong?
Old Oct 22, 2017, 8:40 am
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Originally Posted by shishka32
Looking at SEA-RDU on Delta, there is no meal in first class. Flight time is 11:34 AM to 7:47 PM. How is that possible? Am I reading something wrong?
There will be a meal. Website glitch.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 8:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's an error in the system. You'll get a meal.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 8:51 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
If I look at flight options on that route that flight shows meal service in the drop down details for the flight. In addition, at the top of the list of flights there’s an ad with a photo of food and “ENJOY A MID-FLIGHT MEAL ON US”
Old Oct 22, 2017, 8:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by CarmenOM
If I look at flight options on that route that flight shows meal service in the drop down details for the flight. In addition, at the top of the list of flights there’s an ad with a photo of food and “ENJOY A MID-FLIGHT MEAL ON US”
That sounds like lunch rather than dinner.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 8:55 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
That sounds like lunch rather than dinner.
The OP didn’t ask about dinner. S/he just asked whether there is a meal on that flight.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 9:07 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The OP didn’t ask about dinner. S/he just asked whether there is a meal on that flight.
True, but I was thinking that if lunch is served early in the flight, two thousand miles is still a long time to dinner. More importantly, a decent (not fast food, not at the airport, etc.) real dinner could be difficult to find upon arrival since with the flight landing around 7:30 pm, leaving the airport at 8 would be optimistic, and finding a restaurant before 9 pm (probably last orders at 8:45 pm) after checking into a hotel in downtown Raleigh, Durham, or Chapel Hill could be difficult. OTOH, with the difference in time zones, it's only a five hour flight which sounds very normal for one meal unless one is accustomed to eating constantly.
GRALISTAIR and CarmenOM like this.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 9:14 am
Suspended

Programs: AA Plat, DL Gold
It's four hours and change. I think you'll survive. there's always the snack basket if you really work up an appetite.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 9:25 am

Without the time zone change, 11:34 am to 7:47 pm is over eight hours, in fact 8 hours and 13 minutes. The time difference between SEA and RDU is three hours, so the flight is scheduled to last for over FIVE hours.

On some flights with meals, the snack basked is only offered to C+ passengers or to only those in FC who have declined the meal.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Thanks everyone. After booking it does say it includes lunch. However there definitely was "no meal offered" under meal services on delta.com before booking, so must have been a website glitch.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 12:03 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
Thanks everyone. After booking it does say it includes lunch. However there definitely was "no meal offered" under meal services on delta.com before booking, so must have been a website glitch.
Glad it's showing now. Enjoy your flight!
Old Oct 22, 2017, 3:26 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
True, but I was thinking that if lunch is served early in the flight, two thousand miles is still a long time to dinner. More importantly, a decent (not fast food, not at the airport, etc.) real dinner could be difficult to find upon arrival since with the flight landing around 7:30 pm, leaving the airport at 8 would be optimistic, and finding a restaurant before 9 pm (probably last orders at 8:45 pm) after checking into a hotel in downtown Raleigh, Durham, or Chapel Hill could be difficult. OTOH, with the difference in time zones, it's only a five hour flight which sounds very normal for one meal unless one is accustomed to eating constantly.
I can't imagine one having a hard time finding somewhere to eat after 9pm in downtown of any city, particularly in the three college towns you mentioned. I do see what you mean, but presumably OP will be on Pacific Time, so at 9pm his body clock will still be at 6pm which will be about time to eat. I think lunch at just after noon "local" (departure airport time) makes more sense. Worst case scenario, most passengers can either get food at home if heading home or get room service late dinner at his/her hotel.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 5:36 pm

Programs: AS MVP , Delta Gold Medallion, "Credit Card" status for various hotels
i think the ad is there because sea-rdu is one of the few routes that includes a meal in economy.
Old Oct 22, 2017, 7:47 pm

Programs: Delta PM
I've flown this route in Economy and First, and there are meals served in both cabins. You'll get a meal
Old Oct 22, 2017, 9:40 pm

Programs: none
Of course you'll get a meal, but best thing to happen would be that you DON'T get served airline food. Then you can complain to DL and take the $50-$100 (or whatever they offer as equivalent). You can buy yourself a pretty nice meal for that amount.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.