Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Do you get a Upgrade price on an award ticket ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2017, 8:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT PRO, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plt. Premier

Was looking at an award ticket on DL and was wondering if upon checkout do you get a message to upgrade to 1st using $$ ? I have around 500 in my DL account and was hoping to use that to upgrade to 1st.

Thanks !
Old Oct 21, 2017, 8:30 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I don't think so, but you might be able to "upfare" to FC with additional miles without being charged the change/redeposit fee for award tickets.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 8:31 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
Award tickets cannot be upgraded with cash. You could use the voucher to do a miles + cash ticket though
Old Oct 21, 2017, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by suvayanr
Award tickets cannot be upgraded with cash. You could use the voucher to do a miles + cash ticket though
Thanks do you have to call in for that ? It is not listed as an option, sorry I do not normally fly DL
Old Oct 21, 2017, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You need to do a FC award search and select specific dates. It will appear as an option at the top of the flight listings. It's only available on all Delta metal operated itineraries. Since you already have an award, you'd have to redeposit it and start over. and you cannot pay for it with an e-Credit. So this option will not work.

"eCredits cannot be used with Miles+Cash itineraries."
Attached Images   

Last edited by xliioper; Oct 21, 2017 at 8:53 am
Old Oct 21, 2017, 10:57 am
Original Poster

Thanks !
Old Oct 21, 2017, 12:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by LBJ
You need to do a FC award search and select specific dates. It will appear as an option at the top of the flight listings. It's only available on all Delta metal operated itineraries. Since you already have an award, you'd have to redeposit it and start over. and you cannot pay for it with an e-Credit. So this option will not work.

"eCredits cannot be used with Miles+Cash itineraries."
In this example, I wonder what it would cost to just buy a FC ticket. To me, 25,250 miles plus $170 cash sounds like a lot for a flight in early December unless this is a route where a RT costs much more than two OWs so that getting an award ticket would be a big advantage.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I don't think so, but you might be able to "upfare" to FC with additional miles without being charged the change/redeposit fee for award tickets.
While it may be possible its best to book the class of service you wish to travel in the first place granted that you have the miles to do so or just use the miles+cash at the outset. So be it that you want to travel in Comfort+ or First Class book it as such at the time of booking to make it easier.

Hope this helps.
Old Oct 21, 2017, 3:59 pm
Used to be 'flymanbeast'

Programs: Delta silver/marriot platinum
Miles+ cash is never a good option with DL why would anyone recommend it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.