FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Do you get a Upgrade price on an award ticket ? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1873198-do-you-get-upgrade-price-award-ticket.html)

dgparent Oct 21, 2017 8:28 am

Do you get a Upgrade price on an award ticket ?

Was looking at an award ticket on DL and was wondering if upon checkout do you get a message to upgrade to 1st using $$ ? I have around 500 in my DL account and was hoping to use that to upgrade to 1st.

Thanks !

MSPeconomist Oct 21, 2017 8:30 am

I don't think so, but you might be able to "upfare" to FC with additional miles without being charged the change/redeposit fee for award tickets.

suvayanr Oct 21, 2017 8:31 am

Award tickets cannot be upgraded with cash. You could use the voucher to do a miles + cash ticket though

dgparent Oct 21, 2017 8:35 am

Originally Posted by suvayanr (Post 28959194)
Award tickets cannot be upgraded with cash. You could use the voucher to do a miles + cash ticket though

Thanks do you have to call in for that ? It is not listed as an option, sorry I do not normally fly DL

xliioper Oct 21, 2017 8:46 am

2 Attachment(s)
You need to do a FC award search and select specific dates. It will appear as an option at the top of the flight listings. It's only available on all Delta metal operated itineraries. Since you already have an award, you'd have to redeposit it and start over. and you cannot pay for it with an e-Credit. So this option will not work.

"eCredits cannot be used with Miles+Cash itineraries."

dgparent Oct 21, 2017 10:57 am

Thanks !

MSPeconomist Oct 21, 2017 12:11 pm

Originally Posted by LBJ (Post 28959241)
You need to do a FC award search and select specific dates. It will appear as an option at the top of the flight listings. It's only available on all Delta metal operated itineraries. Since you already have an award, you'd have to redeposit it and start over. and you cannot pay for it with an e-Credit. So this option will not work.

"eCredits cannot be used with Miles+Cash itineraries."

In this example, I wonder what it would cost to just buy a FC ticket. To me, 25,250 miles plus $170 cash sounds like a lot for a flight in early December unless this is a route where a RT costs much more than two OWs so that getting an award ticket would be a big advantage.

danielonn Oct 21, 2017 2:29 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 28959193)
I don't think so, but you might be able to "upfare" to FC with additional miles without being charged the change/redeposit fee for award tickets.

While it may be possible its best to book the class of service you wish to travel in the first place granted that you have the miles to do so or just use the miles+cash at the outset. So be it that you want to travel in Comfort+ or First Class book it as such at the time of booking to make it easier.

Hope this helps.

howtofreetravel Oct 21, 2017 3:59 pm

Miles+ cash is never a good option with DL why would anyone recommend it?