Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Left Marine Air Terminal at LGA as of December 9, 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Left Marine Air Terminal at LGA as of December 9, 2017

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2017, 6:39 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
I don't think I've seen this posted yet, but DL opened a third SkyClub in LGA (second in Terminal C): New Delta Sky Club opens at New York-LGA after terminal move Delta News Hub

From the photo this looks like the ex-AA, ex-US club (that was actually closer to the DL gates than the DL club, and vice versa).
Old Dec 17, 2017, 9:36 am

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bennos
I don't think I've seen this posted yet, but DL opened a third SkyClub in LGA (second in Terminal C): New Delta Sky Club opens at New York-LGA after terminal move Delta News Hub

From the photo this looks like the ex-AA, ex-US club (that was actually closer to the DL gates than the DL club, and vice versa).
That's good news, it'll ease the congestion in the two existing skyclubs. I'm surprised this wasn't previously announced (maybe it was and I missed the notice). Either way it's a win for LGA flyers.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 10:14 am
dw

Programs: DL Plat, AA Plat Pro, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond Amb

I wonder if the long term plan is to combine the two spaces? While there are a number of retail spaces between the entrances to each club, the spaces themselves (behind the retail spaces) are basically adjacent to each other.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 9:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I don't know about combining the spaces but it sure seems logical, if possible, and would cut down on the number of employees needed to run the two places.

As a data point, I walked by the new club on Sunday at about 4PM and it seemed to be packed to the gills. So we proceeded on to the old (ex USAir) club and there was plenty of room. I guess that the novelty of the new facility attracted the crowd but in the older one we were easily able to get two seats right near the window, a location we have favored for many years.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 7:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
Originally Posted by monitor
I don't know about combining the spaces but it sure seems logical, if possible, and would cut down on the number of employees needed to run the two places.

As a data point, I walked by the new club on Sunday at about 4PM and it seemed to be packed to the gills. So we proceeded on to the old (ex USAir) club and there was plenty of room. I guess that the novelty of the new facility attracted the crowd but in the older one we were easily able to get two seats right near the window, a location we have favored for many years.
I think infrequent visitors to LGA may be using it as it's simply the first skyclub through security if you're headed in the direction of gates 29-44 (without necessarily knowing about the lounge across from the food court). The views are just as nice as the other C lounge but it's only about a third of the size, and the restrooms are one-at-a-time only. It's also a bit of a fishbowl with the windows looking out to the hallway, but perhaps that was old-US Airways' angle to try to entice people into buying day passes.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 7:26 am

Programs: CO - silver, dl plat, spg plat, Marriot plat
Originally Posted by monitor
... and took away the special present they had been giving to the LGA-DCA commuters, the Marine Air Terminal. It was by leaps and bounds the best airport experience in New York and there cannot be many better at any major-major city anywhere. Easy to get to it, easy to get out of it, and easy to negotiate inside with plenty of room and everything closely within reach.

Now they have moved this route to the ghetto end of Terminal C forcing the Shuttle flyers to crawl through the LGA construction, hike down to one end of C for PreCheck, and back again to the gates, a hefty walk exceeded in NY only by the promenades down T4 at JFK. Then, in a corner of the back end of the Terminal where the gates are packed together, the Shuttle is right in among hub flights to ATL and Minny with the concomitant crowds gathering and the seating being adequate for less than half of those waiting. They actually have thrown away a diamond and replaced it with a lump of coal.
I am on the shuttle 2 - 4 (back and forth) per week and the points above have been my thoughts over the last 10 days.

1 - You get dropped off or park in the deck which is now a hike. This of course is after navigating the roadway switchbacks around the construction.
2 - Terminal C TSA (even precheck) can be a mess. MAT was great since it was also quick, easy, and the TSA agents were much more customer friendly than at Terminal C.
3 - After precheck, I now have to make a left and hike to the other end of the terminal past regular checkin to the farthest point of the terminal. There aren't enough seats or power ports which unless there were delays was never really an issue at the MAT.
4 - Releasing the aircraft from MAT was quick and easy. Getting in and out of the Alley is now almost always a wait.
5 - Coming back into LGA, on over 50% of my flights the captain has come on to apologize about the new wait which the shuttle flights now have to endure while on the ground to wait for the departing a/c to no only vacate the gate but also for us to to be cleared to get back in (and get a ground crew to marshall.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 11:54 am

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
Does anyone know if DL has added DCA/ORD connections through LGA now that they are no longer in the MAT?
Old Dec 19, 2017, 12:29 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by iflyalexair
Does anyone know if DL has added DCA/ORD connections through LGA now that they are no longer in the MAT?
I'm seeing them but for some reason they don't show up until mid January. Looks like 1/15/18 is the first date they are allowing connections onto the DCA/ORD Shuttles.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TLVorbust
...Releasing the aircraft from MAT was quick and easy. Getting in and out of the Alley is now almost always a wait....
04-22 is nearly a zero taxi from the gates at the MAT and the Shuttle was able to use those most of the time.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 1:36 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by ty97
I doubt LGA will ever have a subway stop. It should have one, but the neighborhoods between LGA and the current subway track will ensure that never happens.

LGA is still my preferred airport, but it would be amazing if they had subway stop. Cuomo's AirTrain to nowhere is a laughable design that I hope never gets built.
Sad but true.
The Ditmars station on the BMT is less than 2 miles away. If they just wanted to get it done, they could extend the line north, then east over the waste treatment plant. But we don't seem able to do anything simply anymore. So we end up with a project that has all the custom made bells and whistles that will take 20 years to make and install and cost more than the whole subway system. So in the long run, it's cheaper to take a taxi and screw the environment.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by wxman22
Sad but true.
The Ditmars station on the BMT is less than 2 miles away. If they just wanted to get it done, they could extend the line north, then east over the waste treatment plant. But we don't seem able to do anything simply anymore. So we end up with a project that has all the custom made bells and whistles that will take 20 years to make and install and cost more than the whole subway system. So in the long run, it's cheaper to take a taxi and screw the environment.
Do you honestly think that the feasibility of this has not been tested? There are so many issues that complicate the project: eminent domain, approach paths, road congestion, etc. etc. It's laughable to think that your "easy" solution hasn't been considered and shot down for many reasons.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 10:33 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Do you honestly think that the feasibility of this has not been tested? There are so many issues that complicate the project: eminent domain, approach paths, road congestion, etc. etc. It's laughable to think that your "easy" solution hasn't been considered and shot down for many reasons.
The N extension is the most sensible, but I don't live there, so I won't have an elevated train rattling along above me, so I understand the negative sentiment from residents. But it would make so much more sense than the more doable AirTrain disaster in waiting. I think we can imagine a quaint ride like taking the tube from Heathrow into London, but the AirTrain, aside from being at the wrong end of the airport in relation to the city, will be dumping all these people and their luggage into the Willets Point subway and LIRR stations. Wow, what a mess that is going to be. Just imagine arriving with a heavy suitcase into GCT on the 7 line and trying to get out of the station in rush hour. But if you build it, people will use it.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 11:26 am

Originally Posted by daloosh
The N extension is the most sensible, but I don't live there, so I won't have an elevated train rattling along above me, so I understand the negative sentiment from residents. But it would make so much more sense than the more doable AirTrain disaster in waiting. I think we can imagine a quaint ride like taking the tube from Heathrow into London, but the AirTrain, aside from being at the wrong end of the airport in relation to the city, will be dumping all these people and their luggage into the Willets Point subway and LIRR stations. Wow, what a mess that is going to be. Just imagine arriving with a heavy suitcase into GCT on the 7 line and trying to get out of the station in rush hour. But if you build it, people will use it.
But how do you propose this N extension exactly? What's the route? There cannot be an elevated train at the south end of Runway 4 because of the approach path.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 11:56 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
But how do you propose this N extension exactly? What's the route? There cannot be an elevated train at the south end of Runway 4 because of the approach path.
There were fairly concrete plans in 1998 - 2003 to do exactly this, though I can't find any alignment maps. The plan was to go north along 31st, then turn right. Not sure how they were going to clear the runways, maybe tunnel underneath, or swing around them? (If you're willing to get rid of Runway Drive, you could probably put an open cut rail line there.)

Another approach would be a new AirTrain over the GCP from the N (or 71st/Roosevelt), but constructing that would be super-disruptive.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 12:49 pm

There were fairly concrete plans in 1998 - 2003 to do exactly this, though I can't find any alignment maps. The plan was to go north along 31st, then turn right. Not sure how they were going to clear the runways, maybe tunnel underneath, or swing around them? (If you're willing to get rid of Runway Drive, you could probably put an open cut rail line there.)

Another approach would be a new AirTrain over the GCP from the N (or 71st/Roosevelt), but constructing that would be super-disruptive.
An elevated train on the GCP is not feasible as it would be in the way of the Runway 4 landing approach.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.