Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Left Marine Air Terminal at LGA as of December 9, 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Left Marine Air Terminal at LGA as of December 9, 2017

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2017, 1:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by mridley2
MAT is a nightmare if you are taking public transportation. M60-SBS/Q70 doesn't stop there. I believe only the Q47 from Jackson Heights stop there. Last year when I flew out of MAT it was a nightmare. Also that was with the major road construction at LGA.
A nightmare? Hardly for us. For early AM flights, we take the E to Roosevelt Ave/Broadway to catch the Q47 to the MAT. Done.

I miss my LGA/BOS routes from the MAT. Amtrak has been a nightmare out of Penn with construction delays.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 2:22 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by WWads
Especially since you're never #40 for departure...
I've been #25 + or so for departure from LGA
Old Oct 14, 2017, 6:31 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
For O&D, even with the mess at NYP, Amtrak is almost always a better option than flying. < 3 hours city center to city center and a likely 10-15 minute walk / Uber / Metro to most of downtown DC makes this is an easy option.

The "LGA is a nightmare" thing is largely an urban myth. It merely looks like a nightmare and the construction may, at times, add as much as 5 minutes to your travel time, but it is not a nightmare.

The path from curb to gate is easy and fast (with Pre-Check) and the lack of ultra luxury options is just fine given hourly service and air time of 35-40 minutes.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 9:38 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Often1
The "LGA is a nightmare" thing is largely an urban myth. It merely looks like a nightmare and the construction may, at times, add as much as 5 minutes to your travel time, but it is not a nightmare.
I think it depends on what you value in your travel experience. Things at LGA that drive me crazy:

1. Feel and congestion of the gate houses. Truly inefficient and disgusting.

2. Delays...one cloud in the sky and it's all over

3. Getting to and from Manhattan. Would it have killed them to build a train?

4. Construction congestion. I know this will improve, but right now it's awful.

Things that I like:

1. Clear. Probably my favorite thing at LGA...or any airport for that matter.

2. Food option in C. They're really quite good.

3. SC's. They're not DL's best but they're nice and convenient to the gates.

4. Clearing UGs. I rarely miss out of LGA.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by Often1
I'm actually a huge LGA fan and love it outbound. However, since the construction started the cab lines can be super-erratic (especially at peak hours). I've had to wait as much as 30 min for a cab, and I'd say it's rare that it's less than 10 at peak time. Also had trouble with waiting for Ubers for 30-40 min, though admittedly I haven't tried since last winter (gave up since I found cab lines, even if not great, were almost always better). Also getting out of Terminals C/D now requires going through Queens for a bit rather than direct access to the Grand Central -- probably adds 10 min at rush hour. Again, not a huge deal but definitely not the super convenient airport it was 18 months ago.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 9:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
It's still shocking to me that in 2017 LGA doesn't have a Subway stop.

That's why I generally nominate DCA as the best domestic airport in the US. Small, close to DC, easy to navigate, curb to gate in 10-15 min, and a Metro stop.
cestmoi123 likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 12:21 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by WWads
It's still shocking to me that in 2017 LGA doesn't have a Subway stop.

That's why I generally nominate DCA as the best domestic airport in the US. Small, close to DC, easy to navigate, curb to gate in 10-15 min, and a Metro stop.
I doubt LGA will ever have a subway stop. It should have one, but the neighborhoods between LGA and the current subway track will ensure that never happens.

LGA is still my preferred airport, but it would be amazing if they had subway stop. Cuomo's AirTrain to nowhere is a laughable design that I hope never gets built.
cestmoi123 likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2017, 8:05 pm

What a bummer, I love flying out of the MAT.

Any guesses which JetBlue and Alaska flights will eventually operate out of there?
Old Oct 15, 2017, 8:14 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by lss250
What a bummer, I love flying out of the MAT.

Any guesses which JetBlue and Alaska flights will eventually operate out of there?
Both airlines have limited ops at LGA, so I assume they would move everything over to MAT if this move pans out.

For tomorrow, Monday 10/16, I see:
AS 3X to DAL (operated by Skywest)
B6 6X to BOS
B6 5X to FLL
B6 5X to MCO
B6 3X to PBI

That's 22 flights tomorrow between them. MAT can handle that number of flights easily. For comparison, DL is scheduled to run 26 flights from MAT tomorrow: 14X ORD and 12X DCA.
Old Oct 17, 2017, 9:10 am

Programs: Delta, Accor, Marriott
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Sounds like at some point next month DL is totally leaving the MAT and the DCA/ORD shuttles are moving to C/D and DL will have those entire terminals. Will be nice to be able to use a SkyClub finally when departing LGA, but will miss the quaint MAT.
Flew out of the MAT this weekend and asked about the move. The staff confirmed that it's happening, but said that it likely won't take place until well into 2018 - they had shared that the move has been long planned, but has been delayed a few times - it was scheduled for November at some point, but got pushed again. Not an official word, but looks like there will be a few more months (at least) at MAT for DCA and ORD flights.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 11:24 am

Programs: Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis Preferred
Delta Leaving Marine Air Terminal at LGA

Looks like the best thing about Delta Shuttle from DCA (and ORD) is coming to an end...

JetBlue announced it is relocating to Marine Air Terminal, Delta will consolidate operations in the main terminal.

The B6 release says it is a temporary move, so I'm not sure what the long term plan is for Marine Air Terminal.

Personally, the only real reason I've chosen DL Shuttle in the past was the ultra-quick Marine Air Terminal experience.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...ocate-Historic
Old Oct 20, 2017, 12:05 pm

I've never had the benefit of flying in/out of the MAT, so please forgive my ignorance if this question is obvious to people who frequent the MAT.

But what is the main reason for the quick security at the MAT?

Is it the limited number of flights, which obviously limits the number or people in line so it goes quickly?
OR
Is it that most people flying the shuttle are business travelers who have pre-check, or failing that understand what can and can't go in their bags and know how to remove everything from their pockets so you don't get Mom, Dad, and 3 kids holding up the line as they try to figure out where Tina's inhaler, Gene's eye-drops, and Louise's throwing stars are, and that is partly what holds up the line in C/D?
Old Oct 20, 2017, 12:15 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by kop84
I've never had the benefit of flying in/out of the MAT, so please forgive my ignorance if this question is obvious to people who frequent the MAT.

But what is the main reason for the quick security at the MAT?

Is it the limited number of flights, which obviously limits the number or people in line so it goes quickly?
OR
Is it that most people flying the shuttle are business travelers who have pre-check, or failing that understand what can and can't go in their bags and know how to remove everything from their pockets so you don't get Mom, Dad, and 3 kids holding up the line as they try to figure out where Tina's inhaler, Gene's eye-drops, and Louise's throwing stars are, and that is partly what holds up the line in C/D?
Little from column A, little from column B, but I think it's pax volume more than anything else. Flights out of the MAT amount to only around 150 seats/hour, and there are (when pax volume demands it) two x-ray machines.
Old Oct 20, 2017, 12:26 pm

Programs: DL Plat
I can definitely appreciate the historic significance of the MAT, but I think this is a good move. It makes sense to consolidate all of Delta's operations in one place (okay two, but connected to feel like one). Security in D is never that bad... C is worse but still better than JFK T4. Maybe this means we can see some mainline service to Chicago now like we do to Boston?
Old Oct 20, 2017, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
AS/VX moving over there as well ... as much as I like the MAT, it’s scarcely worthwhile to route via DAL to/from SEA

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.