Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Ice Cream Treats at the Last Crown Room

Old Oct 18, 17, 10:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National Executive Elite; Amtrak Guest Rewards; Marriott Bonvoy Gold

CVG's SkyClub is actually the "Wendell H. Ford Crown Room Club". Therefore, it is the last Crown Room.

I was in there last week, and, south of the bar, there is a freezer full of ice cream treats, such as Klondikes, frozen Snickers, ice cream sandwiches and an orange cream bar. Drool, drool.

This was dessert for me after Gold Star Chili. Delta, please grow the CVG hub and bring back its glory years. Best little hub in the U S of A.
Old Oct 18, 17, 10:59 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by ND76 View Post
This was dessert for me after Gold Star Chili. Delta, please grow the CVG hub and bring back its glory years. Best little hub in the U S of A.
Rumor has it Delta will bring CVG back as a hub if the Gold Star at CVG is replaced with the much better tasting Skyline.
LoganFlyer and hortkie like this.
Old Oct 18, 17, 11:05 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
PBI has had an ice cream cart for a while now.
Old Oct 18, 17, 11:09 am

Programs: Float between DL Gold and DL Platinum; "alum" of consistent mid-high tier status on UA
I lived in Cincinnati 1994-1998. Not my favorite city in which I have lived in my corporate journey. But, in any case, in those days, CVG seemed to be a tremendous source of civic pride. Corporate recruitment videos featured the airport prominently. There were widebody flights to destinations like LGA, LAX, SFO, MCO, FLL, SLC, and ATL. There was daily international service to about 4 European destinations. Residents of Cincinnati enjoyed air travel options far out of proportion to the size of the city. Comair, Delta's primary commuter partner, was on fire and expanding and growing its route network like crazy, and led the industry in upgrading from turboprops to RJs (though I always considered it a bit cheesy and inefficient that one had to ride a bus out to the Comair concourse [my sister once quipped, "well at least there are not chickens in cages on the roof of the buses]; why not extend the airport train?).

Though, at the same time, it was common fodder for conversation to gripe about the high fares and talk about flying out of Dayton or Columbus, or even Indianapolis, in order to beat the system.

Anyway, it is kind of sad to see that CVG's glory days are over. But, I would not hold my breath waiting for them to come back, and in my opinion CVG is now the airport that a city the size of Cincinnati probably deserves.
Old Oct 18, 17, 11:23 am

Programs: DL DM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
When I connected through CVG a couple of months ago, they had a hot dog and chili cart out in the SkyClub around noon. I had already had Gold Star for lunch or I would have totally partaken in it .
Old Oct 18, 17, 11:48 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
ATL F has it but apparently only on Saturdays, that what they said at least. It was empty last time I went
Old Oct 18, 17, 12:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
That sounds like a fun treat
Old Oct 18, 17, 12:29 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Caesars Diamond, K Fund
Delta, please grow the CVG hub and bring back its glory years. Best little hub in the U S of A.
This will only happen when they change the airport to the proper name, NKY.
Old Oct 18, 17, 12:45 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR View Post
Rumor has it Delta will bring CVG back as a hub if the Gold Star at CVG is replaced with the much better tasting Skyline.
I love this rumor!
Old Oct 18, 17, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Cholula General Member
Originally Posted by DCFinanceinFlight View Post
This will only happen when they change the airport to the proper name, NKY.
CoVinGton is in northern Kentucky. Granted the airport isn't in Covington either.
Old Oct 18, 17, 1:59 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Caesars Diamond, K Fund
Originally Posted by indufan View Post
CoVinGton is in northern Kentucky. Granted the airport isn't in Covington either.
I'm pretty familiar with KY geography. I more like to joke at the fact that it is the Cincy airport, but not in Ohio. Granted, 98% of the people who live in Kenton County all say they are from Cincy, so maybe that explains a little bit.
Old Oct 18, 17, 2:08 pm

Programs: AA Gold, DL PM, UA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ryandc99 View Post
I love this rumor!
It's a source of much shame that Goldstar is the only exposure that connecting pax get to Cincy chili.

In terms of my #1 priority for CVG, it's a tie between a MSY flight and a Skyline.
hortkie likes this.
Old Oct 18, 17, 7:02 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
CVG's SkyClub is actually the "Wendell H. Ford Crown Room Club". Therefore, it is the last Crown Room.

I was in there last week, and, south of the bar, there is a freezer full of ice cream treats, such as Klondikes, frozen Snickers, ice cream sandwiches and an orange cream bar. Drool, drool.

I'm flying BOS>CVG>ORD tomorrow and hope they still have them and hope my layover remains long enough to do it. That club is great! So quiet.
Old Oct 18, 17, 7:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Delta must have listened to me. They retimed the MCO-CVG flights to allow for better connecting opportunities.

Last edited by readywhenyouare; Oct 18, 17 at 7:14 pm
Old Oct 18, 17, 7:11 pm

Programs: AA Gold, DL PM, UA Silver, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare View Post
Delfa must have listened to me. They refined the MCO-CVG flights to allow for better connecting opportunities.
The hybrid focus city/hub schedule hasn't worked, and has trashed load factors. Part of the reason why MEM is getting axed, and BNA is close.

They're mostly returning to the old schedule now.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: