Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Not true -Delta has indicated to me there will be NO global upgrades to Delta Suites?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Not true -Delta has indicated to me there will be NO global upgrades to Delta Suites?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2017, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by rylan
It should be the same upgrade class as other D1, which is OY.
Looking at the T&Cs, it states:
"Certificate may be used to upgrade...operated flights on published fares booked in P, A, G, W, Y, B, M, H, Q, K, L, U, T, X or V class and upgrade into RY/OY class."

Applicable upgrade booking classes for cabins are: OY, RY, SY

Also per the posted waitlist info on the DL website:
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...ml#waitlisting

There is nothing that excludes D1 on the A350. They are still D1 and the difference between D1 seats is not broken out.
Be careful they don't upgrade you to R. Since it's used for domestic F some agents think it's D1. Mainly since previously there would be either R or O, not both.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 4:24 pm
cur

Programs: fwp blood diamond, dykwia uranium
i dunno how this is surprising considering
https://www.flyertalk.com/articles/d...-upgrades.html

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....5/12/17/42581/
Old Oct 18, 2017, 4:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by cur
He never said upgrades are going away. He explained why giving away the whole cabin wasn't a smart business move. Only reason there was so much space in past, the product was vastly overpriced. I can tell you 15 years ago I never bought business, only upgraded to it. Nowadays most travel is paid F/J.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 6:15 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
If you are having trouble with agents via the phone, please tweet and handle this via DM. Its quick, painless, and the agents understand how to do it properly.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 7:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by BenA
It’s likely that your flight simply doesn’t have any upgrade inventory available. If it’s more than 24 hours before departure, try calling again and asking to waitlist for the flight - the agents should be able to do that without inventory being available, and then your upgrade will go to the gate if it doesn’t clear. If the agent objects again saying GUCs can’t be applied to A350 flights, try pointing them at this thread and asking them to escalate to figure out what’s going on internally...
AFAIK DL phone agents (and airport agents, etc.) don't have internet access except for DL websites. Also, unless they're very familiar with FT, why would they believe that the official DL representative here really works for DL (just because you say so)?
Old Oct 18, 2017, 10:40 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
An agent who does not understand the GUC/RUC program? You must be kidding!

I would be more surprised if you found someone who could process it. This entire program is completely broken.

It could be easily automated. Crazy talk, I know.

I understand the reduction in free upgrades, but I would max out my certificate redemptions if the program worked. But right now that would be a waste of time.

The suites do not look good at all in the pics. More privacy is great for sleeping, but it looks cramped for eating, working, watching movies, etc. Maybe the pics are misleading, but I am a whole lot bigger than the small dude they use in the pics, and even he has little room!

Last edited by dilbertsdaddy; Oct 18, 2017 at 10:48 pm
Old Oct 19, 2017, 6:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
There was plenty of privacy with the reverse herringbone setup used on the 330 and 747. Even with the slider closed, its not like you become invisible... anyone walking by can still see over the door/seat.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 6:23 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
It's nice to know Delta monitors Flyer Talk, although me wonders why Delta don't step in more often to clarify questions.
Really? You wonder? Have you seen the reactions official responses have garnered in the past? Look at posts like "Workarounds for Minimum Spend" and there is your answer. Just because people fly a lot doesn't mean they are necessarily the group Delta wants to court. They certainly don't want to address perceived "Shenanigans" and other things about which people get hot and bothered.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 7:07 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
The suites do not look good at all in the pics. More privacy is great for sleeping, but it looks cramped for eating, working, watching movies, etc. Maybe the pics are misleading, but I am a whole lot bigger than the small dude they use in the pics, and even he has little room!
One of the 'reporters' for The Points Guy blog was gushing over the new A350 after Delta wined and dined him for two days. Except he's bigger than the model in the picture that Delta distributed -- he isn't fat -- but he's cramped. Plus, he reported that the door on the suite doesn't actually close.

The Points Guy is a great resource for award redemption information, but their people don't understand elite status or that sort of thing. Their reporter was praising comfort-plus then gets a middle-seat in comfort-plus and complains. Karma.
Jaimito Cartero and hi55us like this.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Be careful they don't upgrade you to R. Since it's used for domestic F some agents think it's D1. Mainly since previously there would be either R or O, not both.
Delta is not confirming GUCs on these flights...at all.
Delta is pricing mileage seats 160K and up.. 200K one way. Would you a 120,000 miles premium to be surrounded by a plastic wall?
Delta food and beverage one Business Class is by far the weakest of the US3.
Delta cut Comfort+ to try and force revenue into higher cabins??

Delta One Suites should and hopefully will fail. the A350 is a shame , not something DL should be celebrating.
bonoman and stencil like this.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 1:00 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
AFAIK DL phone agents (and airport agents, etc.) don't have internet access except for DL websites. Also, unless they're very familiar with FT, why would they believe that the official DL representative here really works for DL (just because you say so)?
We're not litigating in court here - the point is simply that OP should feel comfortable escalating if they get an incorrect answer from a front line agent and asking them to double-check their information through their own internal sources. I imagine the conversation going something like:

"Can you double check that policy? The terms and conditions on the web site say it should be possible to upgrade from economy to Delta One with a single certificate."

and if the agent responds with some variant of "the policy has changed and that's out of date, sorry":

"Do you mind verifying that with a supervisor? In a social media discussion I follow, a Delta representative confirmed just this week that the global upgrade policy hasn't changed, so I think there may be some confusion here that they may be able to resolve. I'm happy to provide a link to that discussion if it helps."

Even if the agent isn't able to browse to FlyerTalk (although I imagine many of the work-from-home SLC agents would be able to, at least), the goal is really to get the agent or supervisor to follow up internally and figure out where the discrepancy is occurring. And if they still refuse, OP can then follow up with SkyMilesTeam or the customer service process to get assistance.

My experience has been that most agents aren't adversarial - they want to help and would be more than happy to look into a policy clarification that allows a positive outcome.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 1:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
What would not be surprising is that there is zero availability for GUC used to D1 on the 350, and only be processing upgrades at the gate for any remaining seats. With such a small cabin, I suspect it will be selling out more often than not, and for those times that don't will only be a few seats for GUC airport upgrades.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 2:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by rylan
What would not be surprising is that there is zero availability for GUC used to D1 on the 350, and only be processing upgrades at the gate for any remaining seats.
I'm not a lawyer, but that strikes me as dangerous. I remember quite a few retailers have gotten in trouble for advertising something as being available that was never available in reality or calling something a sale when it's never sold at regular price.

American has gotten a lot of bad publicity for not having any award availability on routes like Sydney, Australia. It actually had to open some up.
Old Oct 19, 2017, 2:55 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by WWads
No. Upgrade certs do not require status to use. As long as they're valid, even a regular member can use them.
So this statement: "Diamond Medallion Members can use one Global Upgrade Certificate to upgrade directly to a Delta One suite from any cabin of service offered on the flight – including Main Cabin (excluding Basic Economy)."

Doesn't imply that only DMs can do this?
Old Oct 19, 2017, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by stencil
So this statement: "Diamond Medallion Members can use one Global Upgrade Certificate to upgrade directly to a Delta One suite from any cabin of service offered on the flight – including Main Cabin (excluding Basic Economy)."

Doesn't imply that only DMs can do this?
No. They just word it like that because only DM earns GUC. A PM isnt going to be earning one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.