Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Not true -Delta has indicated to me there will be NO global upgrades to Delta Suites?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Not true -Delta has indicated to me there will be NO global upgrades to Delta Suites?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2017, 8:30 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by SkyMilesTeam
Hi everyone, wanted to clear up any confusion surrounding Delta One suite upgrades. Diamond Medallion Members can use one Global Upgrade Certificate to upgrade directly to a Delta One suite from any cabin of service offered on the flight – including Main Cabin (excluding Basic Economy).
How could DL go any other way at this? I would still rather fly 744 UD than the new 350 D1 suites.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA LTG, Bonvoy LTT, Delta Plat, VA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond
Great to get the formal response from Delta... but I'd like to understand why I've been told on Twitter that the Delta One Suites 'may not be available', and by two agents that they can't process global upgrades into Delta One Suites as 'there's no booking class available' for those upgrades. And then the email response this morning indicating there are no upgrades to Delta One Suites

So, while I understand the formal position is that GUC's can be used for Delta One Suites, what's the reason why I'm being told that they can't practically do so by multiple people? And how is Delta going to remedy this messaging that we're being told?
Old Oct 18, 2017, 10:04 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
It's nice to know Delta monitors Flyer Talk, although me wonders why Delta don't step in more often to clarify questions. Hopefully, this also means they gather feedback from members posted here and share with the appropriate internal corporate channels.
I feel like we’ve seen more participation from the SkyMilesTeam account in the last month or so than in the preceding several years. Even if it’s just stepping in to let us know that something is a bug/mistake/known issue, it’s appreciated: we’ve sort of been trained to expect the worst with changes, so it’s nice to have a quick response when something is an unintentional bug or misinformed agent.

Thanks for the clarification and keep it up! 👍
Old Oct 18, 2017, 10:07 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Khatl
Great to get the formal response from Delta... but I'd like to understand why I've been told on Twitter that the Delta One Suites 'may not be available', and by two agents that they can't process global upgrades into Delta One Suites as 'there's no booking class available' for those upgrades. And then the email response this morning indicating there are no upgrades to Delta One Suites

So, while I understand the formal position is that GUC's can be used for Delta One Suites, what's the reason why I'm being told that they can't practically do so by multiple people? And how is Delta going to remedy this messaging that we're being told?
It’s likely that your flight simply doesn’t have any upgrade inventory available. If it’s more than 24 hours before departure, try calling again and asking to waitlist for the flight - the agents should be able to do that without inventory being available, and then your upgrade will go to the gate if it doesn’t clear. If the agent objects again saying GUCs can’t be applied to A350 flights, try pointing them at this thread and asking them to escalate to figure out what’s going on internally...
Old Oct 18, 2017, 10:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BenA
If the agent objects again saying GUCs can’t be applied to A350 flights, try pointing them at this thread
Seriously?
davetravels, hi55us, Khatl and 2 others like this.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon
Seriously?
Given that the official Delta PR team clarified the policy, yes, I think it would be appropriate justification for escalating with a phone agent who is misinformed?
Old Oct 18, 2017, 10:22 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, buys Spirit tickets at the airport ticket counter ;-)
So how does one apply a GUC to get from main cabin to D1 without getting stuck in DPS/PE? Do you specify somewhere that you only want to upgrade to go towards the J cabin rather than W cabin?
Old Oct 18, 2017, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by woodford02A
So how does one apply a GUC to get from main cabin to D1 without getting stuck in DPS/PE? Do you specify somewhere that you only want to upgrade to go towards the J cabin rather than W cabin?
Since GUCs can only be applied by an agent, just state your preference when making the request.

(Similarly, if you only want to confirm the upgrade if it’s available on the long haul segment, that’s a request you can make as well.)
Old Oct 18, 2017, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
It should be the same upgrade class as other D1, which is OY.
Looking at the T&Cs, it states:
"Certificate may be used to upgrade...operated flights on published fares booked in P, A, G, W, Y, B, M, H, Q, K, L, U, T, X or V class and upgrade into RY/OY class."

Applicable upgrade booking classes for cabins are: OY, RY, SY

Also per the posted waitlist info on the DL website:
https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...ml#waitlisting

There is nothing that excludes D1 on the A350. They are still D1 and the difference between D1 seats is not broken out.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 12:41 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I have successfully waitlisted for Delta one on DTW-NRT. I was booked in Premium select.

It will likely be a day of departure or gate clearing on this route. I will report back on my success.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 1:05 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Isn't allowing upgrades and actually having space available for them two different things?
Old Oct 18, 2017, 1:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
IMO those upgrading from paid premium economy should have access to enhanced availability. I'm sure they already get priority over all Y fares (hopefully).
Old Oct 18, 2017, 1:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Xeno
I would still rather fly 744 UD than the new 350 D1 suites.
Well you aren't going to be doing much flying on the DL 744 are you?
Old Oct 18, 2017, 1:58 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Khatl
I'd like to understand why I've been told on Twitter that the Delta One Suites 'may not be available', and by two agents that they can't process global upgrades into Delta One Suites as 'there's no booking class available' for those upgrades.
Because, in my experience, many (most?) delta agents do not really understand the various upgrade policies, products and procedures. They often confuse, for example, complimentary upgrades with upgrades that require an instrument. In this case they will claim that a route does not allow upgrades when in fact it does, but it does not allow complimentary medallion upgrades, it only allows mileage or certificate upgrades.

In my experience, if the agent seems at all confused, or needs to put you on hold, you're in for trouble. It's probably best to tell that agent "never mind, please just leave things as they are" and then hang up and call again, hoping to find an agent that understands how to do this.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 2:04 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.9M, AA EXP, *A Gold
Originally Posted by ryandc99
I have successfully waitlisted for Delta one on DTW-NRT. I was booked in Premium select.

It will likely be a day of departure or gate clearing on this route. I will report back on my success.
We have also had no problem waitlisting GUCs for DTW-NRT and NRT-DTW for Nov. Booked on a ridiculously cheap X fare. Agent didn't even bother to ask if we wanted to apply these to upgrade to PE - she just automatically put the waitlist in for J.

Early on after the A350 announcement, they weren't selling seats at all because of the crazy high prices they were attempting. Now the J fares are down by about 40% from when we booked, and the seats are going away quickly. It will definitely go to the gate - if there are even any seats left by then.

HUCA if you aren't getting these GUCs to work on the A350. It is definitely possible. I don't have any official source for this - so I could be mistaken - but Delta One is Delta One, regardless of what aircraft. Revenue fare codes being sold include C, D, Z, I, J, just like the D1 cabin in any other aircraft. Award fare code is O. I expect the GUC upgrade fare code will be OY just like it is for other aircraft.
arunhn likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.