Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Not true -Delta has indicated to me there will be NO global upgrades to Delta Suites?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Not true -Delta has indicated to me there will be NO global upgrades to Delta Suites?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2017, 6:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA LTG, Bonvoy LTT, Delta Plat, VA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond

I've been trying to redeem my global upgrade (GUC) on a flight to Japan next year in the new Delta One Suites, but been frustrated multiple times. I finally raised a complaint about the process as agents eventually told me that they have no 'code' to upgrade people to Delta One Suites. After a little back and forth, I received the following confirmation as part of a response from Delta:

'With the A350 debut Delta began selling the new Delta One Suites, the World's first all-suite business class. With this new luxury cabin we offer a variety of fares including mileage awards, however we are not offering any type of upgrade to this premium product.'

If true, Delta has hugely devalued global upgrades. Has anyone had official confirmation of this?
Old Oct 18, 2017, 6:21 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles Diamond Medallion, Delta Amex Reserve, Marriott Rewards Silver, HH Diamond, IHG Spire
That would contradict everything Delta has said in the past about using certs.

Previous guidance was one can upgrade to Premium Select or Delta One (Suites). No verbiage on the T&C site says one can't upgrade to these. Now to actual availability being there, that will be a different question.

October 30th, I am sure a few waitlisters will be able to confirm/deny.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 6:29 am

Programs: DL DM MM
I had read that it takes one GUC to upgrade to Premium Select and a second GUC to upgrade to Suites. I suppose even that possibility is gone. You can still use your GUC to upgrade to PS but that's much worse than Delta One on their other planes, even the 767.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 6:34 am

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
Originally Posted by LonghaulCommuter
I had read that it takes one GUC to upgrade to Premium Select and a second GUC to upgrade to Suites. I suppose even that possibility is gone. You can still use your GUC to upgrade to PS but that's much worse than Delta One on their other planes, even the 767.
Source please
Old Oct 18, 2017, 6:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
What I remember are earlier statements that if you use a GUC to first upgrade to Premium Economy, an additional GUC will be required to upgrade further to the D1 Suites but if you upgrade directly from coach into D1 Suites, only one GUC will be required.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 7:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA LTG, Bonvoy LTT, Delta Plat, VA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond
The agents are telling me there is no booking class to process the GUC. And just had Delta on Twitter indicate there 'may be no booking class available' for Delta One Suites
Old Oct 18, 2017, 7:50 am

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What I remember are earlier statements that if you use a GUC to first upgrade to Premium Economy, an additional GUC will be required to upgrade further to the D1 Suites but if you upgrade directly from coach into D1 Suites, only one GUC will be required.
This. It's still listed on Delta GUC site.

Certificates are flexible — they can be used to upgrade directly from Main Cabin to either Delta Comfort+, First Class, Delta Premium Select or Delta One. Or they can be used to upgrade from Delta Comfort+ to either First Class, or Delta One. Or they can be used to upgrade from Delta Premium Select to Delta One.

I'm not going to be happy if they backpedal on this one.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 8:03 am
Company Representative - Delta Air Lines

Hi everyone, wanted to clear up any confusion surrounding Delta One suite upgrades. Diamond Medallion Members can use one Global Upgrade Certificate to upgrade directly to a Delta One suite from any cabin of service offered on the flight – including Main Cabin (excluding Basic Economy).
Xeno, DL-Don, TTT and 17 others like this.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 8:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
That's what I thought. Thanks!
Old Oct 18, 2017, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by SkyMilesTeam
Hi everyone, wanted to clear up any confusion surrounding Delta One suite upgrades. Diamond Medallion Members can use one Global Upgrade Certificate to upgrade directly to a Delta One suite from any cabin of service offered on the flight – including Main Cabin (excluding Basic Economy).
/thread.
lol
Old Oct 18, 2017, 8:08 am

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond
Cool, so the question begs... has anyone been able to actually use a GUC to confirm a seat in a Delta One suite?
Old Oct 18, 2017, 8:10 am

Programs: DL PM, 2+MM, AA Gold 1+MM, HH Diamond, MHG Silver,
Thanks for the clarification.

I'd also like to say that it's great that you seem to be monitoring this board and posting updated clarifications before we all get a chance to get overly hot and bothered about bad information or an incorrect statement that one phone agent gave out.
hockeystl, Seabilly and hi55us like this.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 8:14 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
It's nice to know Delta monitors Flyer Talk, although me wonders why Delta don't step in more often to clarify questions. Hopefully, this also means they gather feedback from members posted here and share with the appropriate internal corporate channels.
Old Oct 18, 2017, 8:18 am

Programs: DL DM
Does this mean that if I'm Diamond in 2017 and save some GUCs for 2018, I can't use them to UG into Suites if I'm not still Diamond at time of booking?
Old Oct 18, 2017, 8:29 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by stencil
Does this mean that if I'm Diamond in 2017 and save some GUCs for 2018, I can't use them to UG into Suites if I'm not still Diamond at time of booking?
No. Upgrade certs do not require status to use. As long as they're valid, even a regular member can use them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.