Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Not true -Delta has indicated to me there will be NO global upgrades to Delta Suites?

Not true -Delta has indicated to me there will be NO global upgrades to Delta Suites?

Old Nov 26, 17, 12:49 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Platinum + Lifetime Gold. Overly loyal apparently.
Has anyone successfully cleared ahead of day of departure using miles to upgrade from DTW to NRT yet? Flying on Wednesday, waitlisted from Premium Select with miles, and there are seats open according to the Delta app.
Old Nov 26, 17, 1:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by ryandc99 View Post
Pretty much have the same feeling after two flights in the middle. I'm going to be sending in comments. I feel the suite door has zero purpose. It's the perfect example of over engineering IMO.
Worse yet, the doors don't even close all the way.
Old Nov 26, 17, 1:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by jdrtravel View Post
Seriously??? No air vents?? Come on Delta! Skipping the basics while you are busy investing in nonsense. This is a big issue for me as I really can't sleep without feeling some air flow. I do have a small battery operated travel fan for exactly these situations that does do the trick, but I would never have thought I I would need it in D1 on a new a/c that DL designed from scratch.

btw, this discussion should probably be moved to a general A350 thread.
Or like reducing the number of lavatories and then not even making the smaller number of lavatories bigger so folks can actually change into pajamas.
Old Nov 26, 17, 8:57 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by James Schmeling View Post
Has anyone successfully cleared ahead of day of departure using miles to upgrade from DTW to NRT yet? Flying on Wednesday, waitlisted from Premium Select with miles, and there are seats open according to the Delta app.
Yes, I've cleared 5 days out !
Old Nov 27, 17, 1:48 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
Yes, I've cleared 5 days out !
Ditto, had two legs (granted, on GUCs, not miles) clear at exactly 5 days from departure. Seems to be consistent among other reports of folks clearing before day-of-departure.

As for the suites themselves, I was not terribly bothered by the temp (and I usually like things cold on the plane). I thought the seat, when fully flat was surprisingly spacious in the footwell. But I thought the seat setup, in general, was very cramped and not terribly conducive to lounging/working/eating/generally being comfortable (i think I ended up with a bruise on my knees from hitting the plastic frame holding the TV screen so many times). The door was pretty pathetic.
Old Nov 27, 17, 4:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by wilsonnyc View Post
Ditto, had two legs (granted, on GUCs, not miles) clear at exactly 5 days from departure. Seems to be consistent among other reports of folks clearing before day-of-departure.

As for the suites themselves, I was not terribly bothered by the temp (and I usually like things cold on the plane). I thought the seat, when fully flat was surprisingly spacious in the footwell. But I thought the seat setup, in general, was very cramped and not terribly conducive to lounging/working/eating/generally being comfortable (i think I ended up with a bruise on my knees from hitting the plastic frame holding the TV screen so many times). The door was pretty pathetic.
Send in your comments to Delta.
Old Nov 27, 17, 5:14 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
Yeah I think I might - the door situation was pretty disappointing. My door only closed 2/3rds of the way and my wife's door got stuck in the close position, necessitating someone from the outside to open it anytime she needed to get up. She finally just gave up on the door halfway through the flight. The whole thing seemed flimsy and cheap and we're only, what, 30 days into service? Additionally, the whole idea of "privacy" is kind of laughable in that the doors themselves are so low that anyone walking down the aisle can basically look into any suite, if they desire.

Also, does anyone know where the FA call button is? We couldn't find it for the life of us (but I assume there is one, somewhere)
Old Nov 27, 17, 12:01 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by wilsonnyc View Post
Yeah I think I might - the door situation was pretty disappointing. My door only closed 2/3rds of the way and my wife's door got stuck in the close position, necessitating someone from the outside to open it anytime she needed to get up. She finally just gave up on the door halfway through the flight. The whole thing seemed flimsy and cheap and we're only, what, 30 days into service? Additionally, the whole idea of "privacy" is kind of laughable in that the doors themselves are so low that anyone walking down the aisle can basically look into any suite, if they desire.

Also, does anyone know where the FA call button is? We couldn't find it for the life of us (but I assume there is one, somewhere)

The FA call button is on the remote, and also if you are on the TV touch screen as well. (Only from the main home page from what I could find, not accessible during a movie.)
Old Nov 28, 17, 10:06 am

Flying tomorrow, DCA-DTW-NRT-SIN, requested upgrade with miles, haven't cleared with 9 open seats, not on the waitlist in the app (only two people are so far), and the Delta Diamond line tells me that I'm still waitlisted, that they have no visibility as to where I am on the waitlist since it was with miles, but that I will probably clear at the gate. Hoping it will clear since I'd really like to try the product, but more interested in the upgrade with miles process being seemingly broken, or intentionally not transparent. Paid Premium Select, so I'm already in that class of service, and interestingly the three people on the waitlist are waitlisted for both Premium Select and D1.
Old Nov 28, 17, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by James Schmeling View Post
Flying tomorrow, DCA-DTW-NRT-SIN, requested upgrade with miles, haven't cleared with 9 open seats, not on the waitlist in the app (only two people are so far), and the Delta Diamond line tells me that I'm still waitlisted, that they have no visibility as to where I am on the waitlist since it was with miles, but that I will probably clear at the gate. Hoping it will clear since I'd really like to try the product, but more interested in the upgrade with miles process being seemingly broken, or intentionally not transparent. Paid Premium Select, so I'm already in that class of service, and interestingly the three people on the waitlist are waitlisted for both Premium Select and D1.
I didn't think upgrade with miles went to the gate? my understanding is that only certificates go to the gate request.
Old Nov 28, 17, 10:56 am
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
I didn't think upgrade with miles went to the gate? my understanding is that only certificates go to the gate request.
Correct. Mileage upgrades can clear up to 3 hours prior to departure but they do not carry over to the Airport Standby List for gate upgrades.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...ram-rules.html
Old Nov 28, 17, 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by LBJ View Post
Correct. Mileage upgrades can clear up to 3 hours prior to departure but they do not carry over to the Airport Standby List for gate upgrades.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...ram-rules.html
This is what I specifically asked about and quoted to them and they're assuring me that's not the case because I'm booked in G class which isn't in the program rules, and the new PS and Suites are causing them issues in the system for upgrade requests. So, anything I can do to prompt it? Now there are 8 seats, with 4 on the waitlist, all four for both PS and D1, and the flight from DC is around 9 am and from DTW around 12:30 PM. Perhaps I'll clear overnight? I've only ever used miles rather than a GUC on a KLM connection from Amsterdam, upgrading at the club, but I used my GUCs this year on an earlier vacation.
Old Nov 28, 17, 3:49 pm

Programs: DL PM
I've gotten the gate to clear me into an open seat with a lot of prodding, by calling into Delta while at the counter and having the phone agent withdraw mileage from my account after speaking with the gate agent.

They don't like to do it, but the 3 hour cutoff isn't an inflexible rule.
Old Nov 28, 17, 4:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It's up to the GA.
Old Nov 30, 17, 2:28 pm

GA offered at the gate to upgrade me with a GUC but told me no to using the mileage upgrade.

Separately, FWIW I was in PS and the seat next to me in a middle section was empty most of the flight with the Delta A350 Asisst Team member up working most of the flight. He said there will be assist team members on every A350 route for the first two months. The crew working PS were great, but it was their first time on the plane.

Search this Thread