Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Trying A350 suite vs. flying into HND (using GUCs)

Old Oct 13, 17, 11:39 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, AA PP

I'm researching flights for a personal trip to Tokyo and I have the choice of flying the A350 into NRT or the 777 into HND (i.e. connecting through DTW or MSP respectively). I will be (hopefully...) be upgrading using GUCs.

Here are the details:
  • The price is the same for both options
  • The route to/from HND is 18H 05M on the outbound, 15H 45M on the return vs. 16H 18M and 16H 47M to/from NRT respectively; of course, flying into HND will save 45M in ground transport each way, plus possibly additional time savings at customs/immigration.
  • The 777 has 37 Delta One seats whereas the A350 has 32 Delta One suites; all flights are wide-open in D1 at the moment.

Given that the prices and convenience are about the same, what recommendations do people here have given the trade-off between flying the new A350 and the higher chance of an upgrade (due to more seats) of the 777?

Last edited by rucksack; Oct 13, 17 at 1:25 pm
Old Oct 13, 17, 12:53 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Prem Exec
Originally Posted by ruckzac View Post
[*]The 777 has 42 Delta One seats...
777 has 37 Delta One seats.

From an aviation geek perspective, try the A350 -- even if you're in economy, it'll still be a new experience (unless you've previously flown an A350). Otherwise, save yourself hassle and fly to HND.
Old Oct 13, 17, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post
777 has 37 Delta One seats.
Whoops, good point.

And thanks for the advice.
Old Oct 13, 17, 1:33 pm

Programs: DL DM, 1.955 MM; HH Diamond
I'd call to see what is open now using GUCs (if anything) and take that option.

Waitlist, I'd go w/ A350 to try it.

(I say this as someone who is waitlisted for GUC on Sunday - hate not knowing)
Old Oct 13, 17, 2:05 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA PS, MR Plt, A-Club Plt, HH G, Avis First
Personally, I would take whichever one could clear right away no matter what. Barring that, I would book the 350 in Premium Select (if allowed) and cross my fingers.
Old Oct 13, 17, 2:06 pm

Programs: DL:360/DM/5.98 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
I'm researching flights for a personal trip to Tokyo and I have the choice of flying the A350 into NRT or the 777 into HND (i.e. connecting through DTW or MSP respectively). I will be (hopefully...) be upgrading using GUCs.

Given that the prices and convenience are about the same, what recommendations do people here have given the trade-off between flying the new A350 and the higher chance of an upgrade (due to more seats) of the 777?
I'm flying into HND on 27 Oct on the 777 from MSP and returning on the A350 on 6 Nov to DTW from NRT. I always find I'm killing time on the last day (10 day trip) so the extra time on the mid-day limo bus to NRT isn't a problem. All in D1.
Old Oct 13, 17, 2:34 pm
Original Poster

Neither would clear right away, unfortunately.

One concern I have is that the connection through Detroit is only 1h 15m. That's plenty of time if things go right, but if I were to miss the connection, I would likely be very delayed getting in. The connection through MSP is 2h 45m, so on the long side, but at least I wouldn't be stressed about the connection.
Old Oct 13, 17, 2:45 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Im doing my second trip to Tokyo in a month; so by no means an expert. But I have used both airports. HND was for sure more convenient to the city.

I dont see what all the fuss is about on the A350. Isn't it basically the 767 seat with a short door? Its widely been called the coffin seat. Endless comments on sliding down while reclined due to angle. Dont know how the door makes it any better other than its fresh.

I think your down to what city is better; MSP obviously
Old Oct 13, 17, 3:03 pm

Neither would clear right away, unfortunately.
Be prepared for the case that the GUCs never actually clear. Happened to me several times in the last year on the DTW-NRT-DTW route.
Old Oct 13, 17, 3:53 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
An alternative to consider. Starting Oct 28, DL is operating 333 from LAX-HND instead of 772. The D1 333 seat is really good.
Old Oct 13, 17, 4:21 pm

Programs: UA Plt /Delta DM/ Marriott Platinum Prem./Hilton Diamond / Hyatt Globalist /Hertz PS / National EE
A330 is the best D1 seat. That is really sad but true! We havent tried A350 yet but I have been in the same bare bones of that seat and did not care for it at all! I also do not think leather is comfortable for Business Class seats. You slide around a lot. DL 1 is an OLD product and their new is all about marketing, not about what the actual experience will be like.
Old Oct 13, 17, 5:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mnbp View Post
An alternative to consider. Starting Oct 28, DL is operating 333 from LAX-HND instead of 772. The D1 333 seat is really good.
Thanks for the suggestion. I've flow the A330 in D1 before and enjoyed it very much. Unfortunately my origin city doesn't have direct service to LAX, so that would greatly extend my journey time.
Old Oct 13, 17, 6:25 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott GLD; Hilton GLD; Free Agent (former AA PLT/US GLD)
Can you fly into HND, but out of NRT on the A350? I prefer flying into HND because I'm dead tired when I land in Tokyo, no matter what class of service I flew. The limo bus or NEX to NRT out of Tokyo is never too terrible though.
Old Oct 13, 17, 6:26 pm

Programs: DL DM MM
Unless I missed something, suites require 2 GUCs from economy. One to upgrade to Premium Select and another to upgrade to D1 suites. Or you can pay for PS up front and use one GUC to upgrade to Suite. I would avoid the A350s when using GUCs.
Old Oct 13, 17, 9:09 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Gold, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by LonghaulCommuter View Post
Unless I missed something, suites require 2 GUCs from economy. One to upgrade to Premium Select and another to upgrade to D1 suites. Or you can pay for PS up front and use one GUC to upgrade to Suite. I would avoid the A350s when using GUCs.
I think that's Delta intention, but I don't think they've implemented it yet.
If they do, Delta should rightly be mocked for charging double for a "coffin with door."
hi55us likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: