Search

Upgrades and Oversales to AUA (Aruba)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2017, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Upgrades and Oversales to AUA (Aruba)

Hi all -

I recently bought myself + companion some of the discounted award tickets to AUA.

Two questions about the JFK or ATL to AUA routes:

1.) Are upgrades easy to come by for DMs? I ask because both routes have less than half the seats in F available, and there's still a few weeks until the flight time

Searching this same route over the next week shows few F seats available...

2.) Is ATL or JFK to AUA a regularly oversold flight? I have read limited anecdotes of ATL-AUA being oversold online.

I also had a SDC issue last year, in Terminal F in ATL, and had to request a Red Coat. Red Coat was super professional but also efficient, proclaiming he was oversold by 14 on that day's ATL-AUA flight and he had to get back to that...

Again, more anecdotal evidence - but I've never heard of 14+ on a single-aisle aircraft in recent memory.

Any recent experiences with upgrades and/or VDBs on either of the routes to AUA? Thanks!
Old Oct 11, 2017, 8:02 pm

Programs: Delta PM MM. Marriott LTP. Hilton Gold
My wife and I flew to AUA on July 1st and back on July 4th for a quick little holiday getaway. We received the upgrade at the gate as Platinum on the outbound. Only 1 seat was available on the upgrade list at check-in but by departure 2 additional seats opened up. On the inbound back to ATL, only 1 seat was available at check-in and we remained 1 & 2 for 0 seats once the upgrade list was cleared at the airport.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 2:33 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
I’ve flown revenue JFK-AUA twice and cleared all flights to F. There were even empty seats in F on two flights.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 7:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by SouthernCanada
My wife and I flew to AUA on July 1st and back on July 4th for a quick little holiday getaway. We received the upgrade at the gate as Platinum on the outbound. Only 1 seat was available on the upgrade list at check-in but by departure 2 additional seats opened up. On the inbound back to ATL, only 1 seat was available at check-in and we remained 1 & 2 for 0 seats once the upgrade list was cleared at the airport.
Thanks for the info! Was your departure gateway also ATL?

Originally Posted by 355F1
I’ve flown revenue JFK-AUA twice and cleared all flights to F. There were even empty seats in F on two flights.
Awesome - thanks! Did the seat maps in F for your flights look more than half full, more than two weeks out? I know premium cabin sales for exotic leisure destinations follow a much different trend line than the standard we see for domestic flights...thank you.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 1:16 pm

Programs: Delta PM MM. Marriott LTP. Hilton Gold
[QUOTE=btonkid12345;28923582]Thanks for the info! Was your departure gateway also ATL?

Our departure was out of ATL.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 6:21 pm

Programs: Delta Plat Kool-Aid Drinker, Hyatt Diamond, SPG GM, Marriott GM, Hilton GM, and Priority Club GM
14 is a lot to over, but I'm guessing there is a lot of people with tight connections that will probably miss. Rev Mgmt isn't dumb. I was recently on a flight that was oversold by 15, but GA wasn't worried at all about it, but as boarding started pilot came off up jetway quick and stopped boarding due to mechanical issue and we ended up being delayed hour and half and everyone made it. I'm guessing 99 times out of 100 that doesn't happen.

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
Hi all -

I recently bought myself + companion some of the discounted award tickets to AUA.

Two questions about the JFK or ATL to AUA routes:

1.) Are upgrades easy to come by for DMs? I ask because both routes have less than half the seats in F available, and there's still a few weeks until the flight time

Searching this same route over the next week shows few F seats available...

2.) Is ATL or JFK to AUA a regularly oversold flight? I have read limited anecdotes of ATL-AUA being oversold online.

I also had a SDC issue last year, in Terminal F in ATL, and had to request a Red Coat. Red Coat was super professional but also efficient, proclaiming he was oversold by 14 on that day's ATL-AUA flight and he had to get back to that...

Again, more anecdotal evidence - but I've never heard of 14+ on a single-aisle aircraft in recent memory.

Any recent experiences with upgrades and/or VDBs on either of the routes to AUA? Thanks!
Old Feb 16, 2018, 10:00 am

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
I am going 2/22 and I will report. Placed my wife on F on award but I paid for revenue ticket.
Old May 15, 2018, 10:58 am

Programs: HH-Diamond, IHG-Plat, DL-DM, PnF Plat, Kroger +
I just returned from Aruba yesterday. We both got upgraded at the gate both ways. We were on award tickets.

Getting the baggage on the return was an issue. We arrived in ATL T terminal domestic. luggage was sent to international F. Had to take the transfer shuttle to international and then back to the parking lot. Why does DL do this? Does not make sense
Old May 15, 2018, 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by Eddie98
I just returned from Aruba yesterday. We both got upgraded at the gate both ways. We were on award tickets.

Getting the baggage on the return was an issue. We arrived in ATL T terminal domestic. luggage was sent to international F. Had to take the transfer shuttle to international and then back to the parking lot. Why does DL do this? Does not make sense
All international luggage for people terminating in ATL arrives at F regardless. Maybe there's some additional screening that is done. No matter what there is going to be some confusion. All international luggage at F except pre-cleared flights and someone doesn't know what that means.
All international luggage at F is easier and there are signs telling you that's where it's going!
Old May 16, 2018, 3:43 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by 355F1
That's common for many of the Caribbean routes I've flown. You see many couples in F (burning miles and such), but not many business travelers.
Old May 16, 2018, 8:33 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Upgrades to the Caribbean were easy a few years ago, as a Silver never missed one. Nowadays I fly on the back of the bus on flights to/from ATL and not often get upgraded ahead of time on JFK flights.
Old May 16, 2018, 9:43 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by HDQDD
That's common for many of the Caribbean routes I've flown. You see many couples in F (burning miles and such), but not many business travelers.
Also lots of nonrevs.

Flew to Cozumel last week and the flight had 22 nonrevs aboard, with most in F. (I overheard a lot of conversation snippets and saw some boarding passes lol).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.