Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Overnight layover in SEA, intl. flight, what about luggage?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Overnight layover in SEA, intl. flight, what about luggage?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2018, 5:51 am

Programs: Ex-5C club, Skymiles Gold
116E2a Change?

Sorry to bump this old thread but has rule 116E2a changed in the last three months? I was told by a supervisor today that I could not check my bags through to ZRH because of a 6.5 hour layover at JFK. My flight to ZRH is the first flight out to that destination FWIW.

To clarify: Flying XXX>MSP>JFK on one ticket and JFK>ZRH on a separate PNR. Supervisor said “Delta had a recent rule change in the last three months which doesn’t allow me to check the bags through”. I explained that my understanding was that it was policy to be able to check luggage all the way through if flying all on delta metal and there is no layover over 24 hours. She said that was not the case and so short checked the bags. Anybody know if the policy really has changed? I would like to have the official policy printed so I can show her as I fly from this small station frequently.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Over six you can choose to short check. Over 12 you must short check. Agent can confuse the two.

There are exceptions for LHR, CDG, AMS, and ICN allowing bags to transfer up to 23.59
Old Aug 2, 2018, 8:20 am

Thanks flyerCO, is that written anywhere or just common knowledge? I am a little torqued at the supervisor who refused to do it and would like to show her proof.
Old Aug 2, 2018, 8:46 am

I should also mentioned that the station supervisor did in fact check bags through on the exact same flights about a month ago and she said that she received a bollocking for it and would never do it again as she was fearful of losing her job. Would it matter that we are on separate tickets?
Old Aug 2, 2018, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Flaneurs
Sorry to bump this old thread but has rule 116E2a changed in the last three months?
They have rewritten the international C of C. There is no more Rule 116. I don't see comparable provisions.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...riage-igr.html
Old Aug 2, 2018, 5:34 pm

Thanks 3forme and flyerCO for the help. I believe now that the station supervisor was indeed in the wrong and that the rule is indeed 12 hours to be able to check the bags through. I was not able to find any written documentation of this however on the website or in the international CofCs. Clearly not a cut and dry issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.