Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta is modifying its beverage service in C+ & coach 251-350 mile flights

Delta is modifying its beverage service in C+ & coach 251-350 mile flights

Old Oct 11, 2017, 8:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
This is absolutely a degradation of service at DL spun as “everyone gets something now!”. Well they should have in the first place based on other airlines and FAs....now C+ is downgraded and I predict FAs will Still be lazy and claim too short flight or “too bumpy per captain” despite no turbulence, or they simply will just assume C+ gets the same as regular YC- and that will be fun. All in all....dumbed down C+ service so Ebasic customers can have a chance at water or coffee.....plz we see thru this PR BS. Plz complain!
Old Oct 11, 2017, 9:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Agreed. The only way to right the ship is to constantly complain about this. Did Delta even make an official announcement about this? If not it really shows how deceitful they are. I plan on summoning a red coat after landing on every flight. I usually book GAP fares but they won't know that.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 10:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
On the plus side, JLO's son will be on the flights, selling candy,
Old Oct 11, 2017, 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Here's a thought. Just give people the can and let them pour it! What a load of crap.
Right, why force us to have water when it's just as quick to hand us the soda can.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 11:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Agreed. I bet if they got paid based on the number of passengers they successfully served we would see a night and day difference in service.
Maybe DL should treat the beverage service like baggage delivery: no beverage/snack means 2500 RDMs per incident.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by DeltaFan4Now
And an unnecessarily LONG ascent without service. I swear there's at least another 10 minutes that can be gained if the FAs got moving after the 10K foot bell.
Do realize neither FA, nor pilot has any control over how long the ascent takes?
Old Oct 12, 2017, 4:33 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
When I first started flying, Northwest did a full beverage service with carts on DC9s flying MBS-DTW.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 7:05 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by PWMTrav
AKA Miller Time.
As long as they are cold....
Old Oct 12, 2017, 7:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Detroiter
Years ago (don't know whether it would be the same now, WN did a full beverage-plus-peanuts service on DTW-MDW (229 miles). The WN FAs were up and coming down the aisle to get the carts practically from the moment the gear were up on climbout and finished stowing items around the time the gear came down for landing, so they were hustling.

Also, on an ATR flying AMS-CGN (143 miles!) the FA handed out sandwiches as well as drinks. I was astounded as I really wasn't expecting anything on that short a flight.
WN also does a full beverage service on BHM/BNA that is even a shorter flight than DTW/MDW.

WN doesn't use carts though and a few times when I was on the DTW/MDW flight the FA would go through the cabin while on the ground asking people what they wanted to drink and would write it down to help them get the service done faster once they could get up.

Delta should do a full beverage service on DTW/Chicago and DTW/YYZ and other similar flights in at least C+.
DiverDave likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 7:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
On the plus side, JLO's son will be on the flights, selling candy,
LOL. ^

Originally Posted by FMDXR
Right, why force us to have water when it's just as quick to hand us the soda can.
If they really wanted to speed things up, they could leave the water bottles in every seat during ground service, freeing up time to provide soda or whatever to people who want them in-flight. Then again, someone will probably sit down and stuff the entire row's bottles in their bag...

I do kind of understand eliminating alcohol for MC since the payment process tends to take so long.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 7:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If collecting payment requires too much time and is so inconvenient for DL, DL could decide to give the product for free rather than eliminating it....or DL could allow people to preorder and prepay for their drink on delta.dumb.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If collecting payment requires too much time and is so inconvenient for DL, DL could decide to give the product for free rather than eliminating it....or DL could allow people to preorder and prepay for their drink on delta.dumb.
I agree.

But...I don't think DL is ever going to pony up for free drinks on short-haul domestic, and I don't have faith that DL IT would implement a prepayment/preorder system properly (we've already seen how "successful" they've been with the promised meal pre-ordering).

Heck, pre-payment for a checked bag doesn't even work correctly and a not-infrequent basis.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 8:38 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
WN also does a full beverage service on BHM/BNA that is even a shorter flight than DTW/MDW.

WN doesn't use carts though and a few times when I was on the DTW/MDW flight the FA would go through the cabin while on the ground asking people what they wanted to drink and would write it down to help them get the service done faster once they could get up.

Delta should do a full beverage service on DTW/Chicago and DTW/YYZ and other similar flights in at least C+.
Exactly, if they want to do it, it can be done.

Years ago DL had a quickie beverage service between ATL and HSV. It was maybe choice of a cup of water, coke, or something else. They had to hustle but they did it.

Could be this is part of DL trying to keep the FAs happy so they don't vote in a union. :-:

David
jamesteroh and AANYC1981 like this.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 8:50 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
It's rare that I am on a flight nowadays below 350 miles, but 8+ years when I lived in AUS, I was constantly on AUS-DFW (on AA). That's 183 miles and I recall them doing a full beverage service. There was an occasion or two where some folks in the back did not get served due to time, but for the most part (to my recollection) they got the full service done. FAs were up and moving the minute we hit 10K.
Old Oct 12, 2017, 8:50 am

Very short sighted. There are numerous occasions when a passenger might be in C+ connecting to a Delta One flight . I can't see the benefit of telling a passenger on a several thousand dollar ticket that she/he cannot have their preferred cocktail on the connecting sector.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.