Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What's your real line of no return with Delta/SM?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's your real line of no return with Delta/SM?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2017, 5:41 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by steveholt
Was thinking about this in light of the repeated devaluations of SkyMiles and how frequently I read threads saying "No more, I'll dump my Skymiles and move on" after they're announced.

So, just out of curiosity: what's the actual thing Delta could do that would make you leave and switch to another airline as your primary airline?
Nothing, I live in ATL, and the ability to fly to 99% of the US non stop trumps any and all devaluations.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
So, just out of curiosity: what's the actual thing Delta could do that would make you leave and switch to another airline as your primary airline?
Not fly out of where I am stationed or where I fly to. I do not fly Delta for their Frequent Flier program.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by vincentharris
Nothing, I live in ATL, and the ability to fly to 99% of the US non stop trumps any and all devaluations.
Same.

Believe it or not I actually am a free agent for each an every trip, technically speaking. I naturally build miles/status with DL simply because reliability/routing/schedule for the price works out best with them the vast majority of the time. But on any given year I will find myself on a couple flights each of AA/UA/WN when the circumstances suit it.

I suppose if DL du-hubbed ATL...
Old Oct 11, 2017, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Was thinking about this in light of the repeated devaluations of SkyMiles and how frequently I read threads saying "No more, I'll dump my Skymiles and move on" after they're announced.

People - and you, specifically - who are dissatisfied with Delta really ought to fly other carriers more. You can - to balm the psyche - deprive Delta of revenue. You might also see that Delta may be the best of the alternatives in contrast to:

- United, that can't sync gate departure screens, airport departure screens, and app departure times at ORD

- Southwest, that can't reliably do gate change push notifications to the app

- American, which finished its business class lie-flat installations more than three years after Delta, doesn't offer award or broad IROPs rebooking via app or online, and the general crap-storm of delays, cancellations, and inferior baggage handling that is American Eagle/Envoy.

Complaining without changing purchase behavior is just whining.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 8:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by flyerslc
Well, I just priced a ticket for my daughter on Delta. The cheapest was $850 no matter what schedule I looked at. The miles equivalent was 11,000 miles, so .77 c per mile. I booked her on JetBlue for $536. I also used my Chase Sapphire Reserve card instead of the Delta Amex that I will soon be canceling - so I got the equivalent of 2412 points redeemable for travel on any airline worth exactly $24.12 or $16.08 in cold cash as opposed to 836 RDM, worth $12.88 at that point value of .77 cpm and redeemable only on Delta flights.
I do not believe in the idiotic concept of "loyalty" to a corporation. I choose airlines, credit cards and flights purely on my own calculus of value. That calculus is daily drifting away from Delta and its co-branded products.
There's something wrong with your arithmetic. If you pay 11,000 miles for an award ticket and miles are worth one (1) cent each, so more than 0.77 cents per mile, it would be equivalent to a ticket cost of $110. Many of us would be glad to use 11,000 miles to avoid paying about $500.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
There's something wrong with your arithmetic. If you pay 11,000 miles for an award ticket and miles are worth one (1) cent each, so more than 0.77 cents per mile, it would be equivalent to a ticket cost of $110. Many of us would be glad to use 11,000 miles to avoid paying about $500.
You're right. I meant to say 110,000 RDM. That was the cost for an economy ticket priced at $850. I've edited my original post.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 8:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
To answer the question in the thread title: If DL de-hubs my hub, I would no longer be a hub captive. Bye-bye fortress.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
DL is the best of the bad options...from my home city, DL is as good if not better than the other options for the places I typically travel. I expect much more WN next year though as they add a new nonstop flight to a city that encompasses >50% of my business travel.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 9:22 am

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
To answer the question in the thread title: If DL de-hubs my hub, I would no longer be a hub captive. Bye-bye fortress.
Exactly. Actually more and more of my travel requires connections anyway. If the "enhancements" continue I'll consider moving to AA. I am going to spend the travel money no matter what. We'll see what airline gets my DM spend next year.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 9:24 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Platinum, Formerly UA 1P/Gold, Hilton Gold
Hub Captive

I have to fly for work regularly and I'm hub captive.

I like AS and they serve many of the west coast markets I fly to, but not all. DL has superior schedules and all direct flights, so I remain.

I would actively start looking for other options if DL switched to the WN model of no reserved seat and cattle call boarding. Short of that, I will remain DL #1 with AS as my backup.

FCM and the changes to the DM qualification don't negatively affect me - in fact I think they make my life better. The routes I fly are always elite-heavy and my upgrade % is less than 50%, so spending $40 for FCM to knock the 10 people ahead of me off the UG list looks attractive now. I will qualify for DM for the first time ever next month, and I typically spend > $20K (yes, it's 80% other people's money) per year, so thinning the DM herd is attractive to me.

As a side note, DL are far superior to UA when I flew them as a hub captive in DEN.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 9:47 am

Programs: Diamond Medallion, Delta Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist

I already hit it. When upgrades as a diamond flying on expensive fares were almost never upgraded I simply decided to always just buy FCM fares. I fly on whatever airline is best for me and always at the front of the bus. The 'perks' for almost all of the FF programs are just not worth the price of loyalty to an airline. Can honestly say I'm much happier now because I don't 'expect' any perks from any airline, I just buy what I want.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Complaining without changing purchase behavior is just whining.
Exactly.

For all the doom and gloom of manufactured elites, DL seems to be doing just fine moving in the current direction.

http://ir.delta.com/news-and-events/...t/default.aspx

There is no longer gross over-capacity in the market. If you look at why the FFP was started and compare it to system over-capacity, you will see why they are currently going down this road.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 10:07 am

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
I'm out of the game if PM qualification is changed substantially to make it impossible for me. I will be DM soon but given my status as a regional road warrior, getting 125K MQM most years is not terribly feasible so as long as I can keep PM and the C+ product stays reasonably the same (given low UG% on my road warrior routes), then I'm fine.
dmarge18 likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 10:22 am

Originally Posted by bubbashow
Exactly.

For all the doom and gloom of manufactured elites, DL seems to be doing just fine moving in the current direction.

http://ir.delta.com/news-and-events/...t/default.aspx

There is no longer gross over-capacity in the market. If you look at why the FFP was started and compare it to system over-capacity, you will see why they are currently going down this road.
I don't think many of us are whining. We are having a discussion about the relative value of the FF program and how it has changed our purchasing behavior as customers, not as investors discussing whether Delta's decisions are wise corporate tactics. In my case, the value of the FF program would sometimes cause me to pay more for some Delta tickets than competitors' because I would get the miles and other perks, including good service. The relative value of the FF program has declined for me to the point that I now frequently make the decision on price and available scheduling alone.
Old Oct 11, 2017, 11:39 am

Programs: DL Gold
Originally Posted by vincentharris
This. since DTW is by far my most convenient airport and as I'm deathly allergic to connections because of traveling with someone in a wheelchair, DL's service would have to be really bad before we would bail. We don't fly near enough for status, so devaluations to the Medallion program have no effect on us.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.