Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Basic Economy Checkin Strategy

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2017, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
Basic Economy Checkin Strategy

I bought a basic economy ticket LAS to SNA and it’s on a E175 so I am honestly fine with any seat I get since there are no middles.

Wondering if a strategy to wait until like T-45 to check in would be better as I would have a better chance at getting a seat more towards the front of the plane? Or even scoring an exit row or Econ Comfort?

Thoughts?
Old Oct 9, 2017, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly
I bought a basic economy ticket LAS to SNA and it’s on a E175 so I am honestly fine with any seat I get since there are no middles.

Wondering if a strategy to wait until like T-45 to check in would be better as I would have a better chance at getting a seat more towards the front of the plane? Or even scoring an exit row or Econ Comfort?

Thoughts?
Yes in general, the later you wait the better chances of a better seat on full flights. However on not full flights, there's more risk that there will still be enough regular cr*p seats that you get one.

In fact on my last LAX-SAT the last BE passenger to checkin got a seat in FC. All elites had been upgraded and C+/Y was full.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 11:51 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Yes in general, the later you wait the better chances of a better seat on full flights. However on not full flights, there's more risk that there will still be enough regular cr*p seats that you get one.

In fact on my last LAX-SAT the last BE passenger to checkin got a seat in FC. All elites had been upgraded and C+/Y was full.
Interesting - but how do you check-in at T-45 if you need a BP to get past security checkpoints? Are folks actually waiting until that close to boarding to go through TSA?
Old Oct 9, 2017, 11:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Gig103
Interesting - but how do you check-in at T-45 if you need a BP to get past security checkpoints? Are folks actually waiting until that close to boarding to go through TSA?
Of course you need a BP. Plenty of people with regular tickets wait to checkin, not sure how this is an issue. It's something people deal with everyday.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 12:20 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Of course you need a BP. Plenty of people with regular tickets wait to checkin, not sure how this is an issue. It's something people deal with everyday.
Delta says to be at the airport 2 hours early, and others say to be at security 90 minutes before departure; I'm typically through security at T-75. Why would plenty of people wait to check-in if they aren't trying this BE seating strategy?
Old Oct 10, 2017, 12:34 am

Delta says to be at the airport 2 hours early, and others say to be at security 90 minutes before departure; I'm typically through security at T-75. Why would plenty of people wait to check-in if they aren't trying this BE seating strategy?
Do you not fly often? Who cares what Delta says about how early you have to get to the airport. If you know the airport and have precheck, why would you ever go to the airport that early?
Old Oct 10, 2017, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Most people dont want to spend longer in the airport then is needed.
hockeystl and MSP_Monopoly like this.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 4:22 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
^^^^^^^^^

If I could figure out the perfect time to walk into the airport-through security-to the gate- on the plane-to us taking right off my life would be complete
Old Oct 10, 2017, 6:20 am

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
why don't you just not worry about it and then ask someone to switch once onboard? there are tons of folks over in the seat swapping thread who would be happy to help you out
Old Oct 10, 2017, 6:26 am

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
I have twice checked my bags at like T-37 and the cutoff for accepting it is T-30 (where I originate). But we have a dedicated TSA checkpoint because there's a large software company in a relatively small town so we have heavy traffic at some times and when I fly it's usually a breeze through TSA and I'm at the gate 2 minutes after dropping bag.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 8:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
All DL cares about is that you are checked in for a domestic flight no later than its cutoff and at the gate no later than T-15. The suggested time is what all carriers use because they must account for people who take a wrong turn, may not move as quickly as others and so on.

You on the other hand are an elite (albeit on AA) and thus likely fly with some frequency. You know how to figure out an airport and you know your own capabilities.

How long you need at a particular airport is something you may figure based on your own situation.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 8:40 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by vincentharris
If I could figure out the perfect time to walk into the airport-through security-to the gate- on the plane-to us taking right off my life would be complete
May I suggest . . . . .

Old Oct 10, 2017, 1:35 pm

Programs: DL Gold
True this, but I've never wanted to be in the position of having to pull an OJ through the terminal, and I would rather have an easy boarding experience, settle into my seat, and enjoy my PDB, than have to partake in the general scrum of boarding.

In my present situation of traveling with a person in a wheelchair, I've found it to be advisable to arrive at the gate approx. an hour pre-flight to be able to get the GA's attention for gate-checking the chair without interrupting the chaos of a quick turnaround. In addition, when taking a 2-hour meal-hour flight, I need to arrive even earlier to get something to eat in the terminal rather than subsist on chips and cookies, so an additional hour makes the experience tolerable.
DiverDave and CO-PLAT like this.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 1:42 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Detroiter
True this, but I've never wanted to be in the position of having to pull an OJ through the terminal, and I would rather have an easy boarding experience, settle into my seat, and enjoy my PDB, than have to partake in the general scrum of boarding.

In my present situation of traveling with a person in a wheelchair, I've found it to be advisable to arrive at the gate approx. an hour pre-flight to be able to get the GA's attention for gate-checking the chair without interrupting the chaos of a quick turnaround. In addition, when taking a 2-hour meal-hour flight, I need to arrive even earlier to get something to eat in the terminal rather than subsist on chips and cookies, so an additional hour makes the experience tolerable.
I once missed a LUV flight out of PHX during spring break because I got lost looking for gas on the way to return rental and it was expensive. The additional fare was $360 and it took me 2 days to get a seat on a flight out. Eeek. But I still am a bit naughty, except in PHX.
Old Oct 10, 2017, 2:17 pm

Programs: SkyMiles
My sister booked an E ticket DTW-MCO. It was a full flight and I checked her in 24 hours ahead and she got an aisle seat in zone 3. Mine was a confirmed for less F fare. Inbound we checked in and she got a window seat in zone 3. Neither were lav seats. I did get her moved up to a C+ seat with me since I had 2 open in my row. I don't think it matters what time you check in...it's just the luck of the draw.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.