Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Diamond Choice Benefit - Sky Club Guest Pass (Consolidated Thread)

Old Oct 6, 2017, 3:39 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Your term guest pass was ambiguous. What she sold you was a guest pass for an AMEX card holder.

Not sure how they need training. It wasn't made clear by you that you were using a free "guest pass" or a AMEX "guest pass." Once you pointed out which, she instantly fixed it. Not much more can be done.
I have to agree here. ^ I expect the Diamond guest pass benefit is rarely seen at this point, so anybody using it would be wise to state it clearly.

It's not like it's printed on your boarding pass like a regular SC membership.

David
Old Oct 6, 2017, 3:51 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Now I understand. I have the Amex card and know how it works. What I did not understand is that you could select guest passes as a benefit without having the membership yourself. I did not realize that you could couple the guest passes with the Amex card. (after looking it up I now realize that this is exactly what they benefit is for).
Old Oct 6, 2017, 4:10 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by DiverDave
I have to agree here. ^ I expect the Diamond guest pass benefit is rarely seen at this point, so anybody using it would be wise to state it clearly.

It's not like it's printed on your boarding pass like a regular SC membership.

David
Well, I disagree. The agent even admitted she needs to pay better attention.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 4:21 pm

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
The Platinum Amex card (non-Delta branded) grants Sky Club *access*. It does not confer a membership. I believe this is also true for the Reserve card, but I don't have one of those. The difference is that if you are using the card benefit for entry, you have to provide the card to the agent, who swipes it to verify eligibility.
I have a Reserve card (and have no other Sky Club access/membership) and have never had to present the card to get entry, but I have only tried to gain entry when travelling on DL. I hand them my boarding pass and they welcome me in. My understanding has been I only have free access when travelling on DL.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 5:06 pm

Location: SEA, or BOS, or MUC, or other places (probably connecting). "Detroit, Michigan is in the Eastern time zone."
Programs: DL PM/1MM, AS 100K, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by vbjd1111
I have a Reserve card (and have no other Sky Club access/membership) and have never had to present the card to get entry, but I have only tried to gain entry when travelling on DL. I hand them my boarding pass and they welcome me in. My understanding has been I only have free access when travelling on DL.
Delta has an association between your SkyMiles number and your Reserve Card (for earning miles, the upgrade tiebreaker benefit, MQD waiver, etc), so they don't need to see/swipe the card to know that you're a cardholder. They probably don't have the same linkage for a non-Delta-branded Amex card, so in that case they may well need to see/swipe the card even for free access.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 7:03 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by ryandc99
Well, I disagree. The agent even admitted she needs to pay better attention.
Disagree if you like, but you handed the agent an Amex card and said you would be using a “guest pass.” The agent quite reasonably thought you meant a guest pass using your Amex card.

Suggest in the future you reference your Diamond guest pass.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 7:40 pm

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
Originally Posted by DiverDave
Disagree if you like, but you handed the agent an Amex card and said you would be using a “guest pass.” The agent quite reasonably thought you meant a guest pass using your Amex card.

Suggest in the future you reference your Diamond guest pass.
I concur.

Edit: I personally prefer to be proactive, rather than reactive (i.e., the OPs approach). Perhaps in the future, give a few more bits of information to expedite things and save yourself all the hassle.

Last edited by pharmawalk; Oct 6, 2017 at 9:42 pm
Old Oct 6, 2017, 8:23 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by CKDGM
Therefore, since it is no longer possible to earn 2017 DM status but only 2018 status with the benefits starting in 2017, someone reaching DM for the first time today will not have Sky Club membership unless they have it outside of their DM benefits.
This is correct. I flip between PM and DM status. For program year 2017, I was PM, and became DM again in August 2017 (for program year 2018). I am DM now and do not have any SkyClub membership.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 8:33 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond 3MM, AMEX Delta Reserve, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Thanks to some cheap Delta Trans-Atlantic fares this year and Reserve Card spend, I made Diamond for the first time in a few years, and with the new rules, probably my last, this June. My wife travels with me most of the time, so I selected the new guest pass choice benefit, which as a previous poster said, began immediately and is good until February, 2019 because I was a new Diamond.

The only place that I have had an issue was in the new Atlanta B club, where in June, I was challenged at the check-in desk, but helped them read and understand the rules and was admitted. A month ago, I had a similar experience, except I was allowed in unchallenged, but was paged to the desk by the supervisor, who started arguing with me about the rules, until a coworker corrected her. Typical lack of training and decorum for Delta employees in Atlanta, where one would think both would be paramount.

BTW, as Delta Reserve Cardholder, I have never had to produce my card to enter a SkyClub, just a paper or electronic BP.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 11:59 am
Hilton 10+ Badge

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton & Marriott Plastic Gold, Chick-fil-A Signature
Diamond Skyclub guest pass choice benefit question

I'm considering the Delta Sky Club Guest Pass (Credit Card Access) for my 2018 selection as I hold the Delta Reserve card.

When traveling with my family (3 total), I will often split the reservation into two to get upgrades, with my son and I on one reservation and my wife on another. This year I got an executive membership which has worked fine - they just note 2 guests without looking at their boarding passes and wave us all in.

Before opting for this choice benefit, I'm curious to know if "traveling with the eligible Card Member" means "on the same flights" which would continue to work in my situation. However, if it means "on the same reservation" then obviously this wouldn't work.

If anyone selected this benefit already and started using it, how strict have the lounge dragons been in this situation? Do they scan BPs for all travelers or just wave everyone in after checking your card? Thanks in advance!

From: https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...-benefits.html
Must have complimentary Delta Sky Club access via eligible credit card such as the Delta Reserve Credit Card from American Express. You receive unlimited access to Delta Sky Club locations for up to two guests per visit when traveling with the eligible Card Member.

When you select the Sky Club Guest Pass as a Choice Benefit, it will terminate and replace any existing Delta Sky Club Individual Membership(s) in favor of this benefit. Some terms & conditions applyopens in a new window.
From: https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...tml#sclubgpass
Members who qualify for 2018 Diamond Medallion Status who have complimentary Delta Sky Club access via an eligible credit card — such as the Delta Reserve Credit Card from American Express — may select a Delta Sky Club Guest Pass to receive unlimited Delta Sky Club access for up to two (2) guests per visit when traveling with the Card Member. The Card Member will receive a Delta Sky Club Guest Pass from the amount of time between Choice Benefits selection and the end of the 2018 Medallion year (January 31, 2019). Members who do not have an eligible credit card that grants complimentary access to Delta Sky Club are not eligible for a Delta Sky Club Guest Pass and should instead choose an Executive Membership.

All Diamond Medallion Members who currently have an existing Delta Sky Club membership and who already have access with a credit card will have the option of overriding your existing Delta Sky Club Individual Membership by replacing it with the Delta Sky Club Guest Pass. Please note that by selecting the new Guest Pass benefit, your existing Delta Sky Club Individual Membership will be cancelled and you will not be eligible for a refund for any remaining months on your existing Delta Sky Club membership. To view your current membership end date, visit the Delta Sky Club membership section in My Wallet.

The eligible credit card must be used to physically access Delta Sky Club during any visit in which the Guest Pass is being used. If the Member’s Delta Sky Club access is terminated, the Member will no longer be able to use the Delta Sky Club Guest Pass.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 1:22 pm

I am a DM who selected an Executive SC membership last year as a choice benefit who travels frequently with wife and 3 kids all on separate PNRs. I simply give only my boarding pass to SC agent and all 5 of us ‘immediate family’ are always admitted no questions ever asked.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 12:23 am
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I chose the guest pass this year. My traveling companions have never been asked to scan their ticket. This is still a new perk and I have had them try to charge me 29.99. Some commentary here in this thread I started : SkyClub Agents not trained or unaware of the Diamond SkyClub guest pass
Old Mar 28, 2018, 9:29 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, , Delta 2MM & DM UA Gold

I am not a lawyer, but there is some tricky language that I am trying to figure out. According to the Delta Website, if you have a Executive Membership, you can bring in 2 guests or your immediate family if kids are under 21. This year, Delta has allowed those of us who have a Amex Platinum Card ( not Delta Amex Platinum, but the other Platinum card) to use 1 Benefit to use the Guest Pass option which allows 2 guests, but does not say a thing about immediate family. Since I have 3 kids, I am trying to determine before I use this benefit, if I can bring in the family.

Any assistance is helpful
Old Mar 22, 2019, 3:56 pm

Programs: DL: DM UA: 1K
Delta Sky Club Guest Pass

I'm DM and considering Delta Sky Club Guest Pass as a choice benefit for next year.
I'm planning to get AMEX Platinum this year to get a free access to SC for myself. If I get Guest Pass, can I bring 2 guests to SC for free? I know that Guest Pass can be used with Delta Reserve Credit Card, but does the combination of AMEX Platinum and Guest Pass also work?
Old Mar 22, 2019, 4:37 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
Yup! Both AX regular platinum and AX DL Reserve work

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.