DL upgrades to C+ against wishes

Old Oct 5, 2017, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold
DL upgrades to C+ against wishes

It's getting frustrating that DL is frequently upgrading to C+ in spite of explicit wishes against them doing so. It's happening with regularity and defiantly (bold disobedience).

This has happened three times to me or my family recently. In each case, the PNR preferences (and profile preferences) were set to exclude any upgrade to C+.

My daughter had it happen to her about three weeks ago. It took a call to get it corrected because she had already checked in and the app wouldn't let her change it.

It happened to me three weeks ago while in ELP and I was sitting at the gate. The gate agent seemed incredulous that I would NOT want their marvelous C+ seat. She did not even seem aware that customers can explicitly exclude the PNR from upgrades from "Main Cabin" to C+.

And just last night, I get the e-mail that informs me of an upgrade from my preferred exit row to DL C+ on a flight from ATL-SMF in late November. DL C+ is not an "upgrade" to me in any way if I have to give up an emergency row to get it. Fortunately, I was awake at 3:30 am when the e-mail came through and I reclaimed my exit row seat where the rest of my family was sitting (separate PNR).

DL - please stop the unwanted upgrades to C+.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 11:49 am

Programs: DL DM and 1.5 MM, UA GM, HH DM
Do you "uncheck" the C+ upgrade box on your reservation record?
Old Oct 5, 2017, 12:29 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Uncheck the comfort plus upgrade box during booking.
Attached Images  
Old Oct 5, 2017, 12:59 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/1.2MM, UA Premier gold/1MM, Choice diamond, Marriott gold
The problem with this approach is that, at least for me, the "uncheck" does not take most of the time. I uncheck it, save it, and when I go back in it's still checked. I can't make the "uncheck" take most of the time.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 1:05 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cottonpatch
It's getting frustrating that DL is frequently upgrading to C+ in spite of explicit wishes against them doing so. It's happening with regularity and defiantly (bold disobedience).

This has happened three times to me or my family recently. In each case, the PNR preferences (and profile preferences) were set to exclude any upgrade to C+.
Thanks for the suggestions to "uncheck" the box. In every case, it had already been unchecked in the PNR and account profile as noted in the original post upthread.
CO-PLAT likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kwaj boy
The problem with this approach is that, at least for me, the "uncheck" does not take most of the time. I uncheck it, save it, and when I go back in it's still checked. I can't make the "uncheck" take most of the time.
Thanks for that Kwaj. My PNR "uncheck" is stuck right now as you describe. DL clearly has some problems with this functionality of their IT.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
What brower(s) and OS, or app and version are you using?
Old Oct 5, 2017, 1:39 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Thanks for the suggestions to "uncheck" the box. In every case, it had already been unchecked in the PNR and account profile as noted in the original post upthread.
So then the issue is an IT bug and it should be moved to that thread. Delta.com Bug Reporting Master Thread
Old Oct 5, 2017, 1:47 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/1.2MM, UA Premier gold/1MM, Choice diamond, Marriott gold
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
What brower(s) and OS, or app and version are you using?
Tried the app, Google Chrome and IE. Results are the same.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 6:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL FO, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by bergamini
So then the issue is an IT bug and it should be moved to that thread. Delta.com Bug Reporting Master Thread
I totally agree.

RSSrsvp - Moderator
Old Oct 6, 2017, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I've had issues with it going through when I uncheck the C+ box but have never had a problem getting them to remove me when I send a DM on Twitter with the details even if I've already checked in (did just that yesterday when it wouldn't let me remove the check and I had no interest in giving up my Exit Row aisle on SFO - DTW)
Old Oct 6, 2017, 8:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

My daughter had it happen to her about three weeks ago. It took a call to get it corrected because she had already checked in and the app wouldn't let her change it.

It happened to me three weeks ago while in ELP and I was sitting at the gate. The gate agent seemed incredulous that I would NOT want their marvelous C+ seat. She did not even seem aware that customers can explicitly exclude the PNR from upgrades from "Main Cabin" to C+.

And just last night, I get the e-mail that informs me of an upgrade from my preferred exit row to DL C+ on a flight from ATL-SMF in late November. DL C+ is not an "upgrade" to me in any way if I have to give up an emergency row to get it. Fortunately, I was awake at 3:30 am when the e-mail came through and I reclaimed my exit row seat where the rest of my family was sitting (separate PNR).

DL - please stop the unwanted upgrades to C+.
For your gate "upgrade" to C+, were you on the C+ upgrade list for the flight or did the GA just notice your status and decide to move you?
Old Oct 6, 2017, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
For your gate "upgrade" to C+, were you on the C+ upgrade list for the flight or did the GA just notice your status and decide to move you?
GA admitted she moved me all on her own. She wasn't even aware that there is a switch on the PNR to opt out of C+ upgrades. She just thought that I would appreciate the "upgrade". Whatever happened, it did take quite a few keystrokes at the gate to fix the error and I noticed she had to split the PNR to accomplish it.

DL is enamored with C+. I'm not. My pet peeve is the reclining seat in front of me whether it's in FC, C+, or main cabin. I'll always take hard bulkhead or exit row without the chance of a "recliner" in front of me. I accept responsibility for my extreme discomfort with a recliner in front of me and choose appropriately. DL doesn't help when they disregard what is set up. I always "opt out" of C+ upgrades and "opt out" of F upgrades about 1/2 of the time. By the way, my status is DM. This is a temporary occurrence that I don't expect will ever happen again.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 9:48 am

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
Serious question here: why would anyone decline a C+ upgrade? You get free drinks and a bigger, more comfortable seat in C+ vs. normal economy.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
Serious question here: why would anyone decline a C+ upgrade? You get free drinks and a bigger, more comfortable seat in C+ vs. normal economy.
May want to sit with family. Or getting "upgraded" to a middle seat in C+ when you have an aisle or window Exit row seat is a downgrade not an upgrade. End of

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.