Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Changing Country of Residence in the Post-MQD Era (Definitive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Changing Country of Residence in the Post-MQD Era (Definitive)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2017, 6:58 am

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by flyerCO
It's not cheating or gaming the rules. In fact you're making up a rule where none exists.
Uh.

Okay.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 1:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
I don't think anybody is complaining about those who legitimately have (or can claim) a foreign address. My comments were directed to those who were talking about "manufacturing" a foreign address.
That was my point though - Why do people on here care about "manufacturing" a foreign address? Leave it to Delta to figure it out if it they think such people are bending the rules too far and thus need to redefine what constitutes a foreign address. I think a lot of the people who are getting upset at those who can "manufacture" a foreign address are mad because they can't or don't know how to do it themselves.

And no, I'm not someone who could or is going "manufacture" a foreign address. But I don't know what value is gained by being upset at people who can or do. Goood for them for working within the rules of the system.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 8:17 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by HWGeeks
What about those who manufacture spend on their amex cards?
What deception or false representation is involved when people put spend on their credit cards?
Old Oct 8, 2017, 7:49 am

Programs: Delta Plat
Originally Posted by Zorak
What deception or false representation is involved when people put spend on their credit cards?

Manufactured spend is equal to a manufactured address. Both get you the same result.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 8:09 am

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Manufactured spend is equal to a manufactured address. Both get you the same result.
You are joking, right?
Old Oct 8, 2017, 8:20 am

Programs: DL,EK
I have a foreign address as I own an apartment in Europe where I lived from 2002 to 2015. I still have the apartment but it is rented out to a tenant. I switched my address to my US address with Delta in 2015. Sure, I could game the system, but I don't want to lose all my miles and my pattern of flying makes it obvious that I am not in Europe. I don't know if Delta could/would figure it out.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 8:35 am

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
That's great, but you didn't actually answer the question. There's an important qualitative difference.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

DL could have probably cleared things up if they had used the term "primary residence" in the program T&C's which has a pretty specific definition. I'm pretty sure that's what they mean and they do actually use that term in a couple places outside the official T&C's for promos.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primary_residence

"The MQD requirement for Medallion status applies to members with a primary residence in the United States (50 states and the District of Columbia) only."

https://www.delta.com/loyaltypromos/...ourstatusterms
Old Oct 8, 2017, 11:19 am

Programs: Delta Plat
Originally Posted by Zorak
That's great, but you didn't actually answer the question. There's an important qualitative difference.
The difference isn't important this is a discussion on airline miles, not life or death. To think that the difference is important just shows you're a hypocrite.

People manufacture spend to cheat/game and people manufacture addresses to cheat/game the system, it's as simple as that. Both are considered scams, but if you want to make yourself feel good and imagine there is an important difference than by all means go ahead.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by LBJ
DL could have probably cleared things up if they had used the term "primary residence" in the program T&C's which has a pretty specific definition. I'm pretty sure that's what they mean and they do actually use that term in a couple places outside the official T&C's for promos.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primary_residence

"The MQD requirement for Medallion status applies to members with a primary residence in the United States (50 states and the District of Columbia) only."

https://www.delta.com/loyaltypromos/...ourstatusterms
However DL then defines primary residence as being the primrary address on file. If DL wanted to use another definition they could've.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 12:52 pm

The difference isn't important this is a discussion on airline miles, not life or death. To think that the difference is important just shows you're a hypocrite.

People manufacture spend to cheat/game and people manufacture addresses to cheat/game the system, it's as simple as that. Both are considered scams, but if you want to make yourself feel good and imagine there is an important difference than by all means go ahead.
I don't actually do any MS. All my credit card spend (enough for the waiver, but much less than 6 figures) is "organic".

Still waiting for a rational explanation of how charging things to a credit card in accordance with the credit card agreement is cheating, fraudulent, or deceptive.

IMO, it's mind boggling that anyone capable of logical thought would think the distinction is NOT critically important (to the discussion, obviously not life-and-death critical)... but if that's what you think, whatever I guess.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
That was my point though - Why do people on here care about "manufacturing" a foreign address? Leave it to Delta to figure it out if it they think such people are bending the rules too far and thus need to redefine what constitutes a foreign address. I think a lot of the people who are getting upset at those who can "manufacture" a foreign address are mad because they can't or don't know how to do it themselves.

And no, I'm not someone who could or is going "manufacture" a foreign address. But I don't know what value is gained by being upset at people who can or do. Goood for them for working within the rules of the system.
I'm actually looking forward to it. The DYKWIA Outcry when Delta says "no" will be epic.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 6:05 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
Until Delta publishes their own definition of "residency" it is the legal definitions according to the various authorities that count.

For one, the United States do not have a definition of "resident", other than for tax purposes. US States do have their own, which is not necessarily the same from State to State.
Other foreign authorities have their own definitions and requirements and each one of them is sovereign in their own domain.
That means one can be legally (according to French laws) be a resident in France and simultaneously be a resident of Oregon (according to Oregonian laws). It does not matter where one sojourns habitually, unless it matters for one of those two laws.

As Delta is concerned, any documentation issued by a foreign state that certifies one to be a resident of that nation will do.
As a side note, authorities will issue documentation that one is a resident, but afaik they won't certify that one is not.

Originally Posted by DesertNomad
I have a foreign address as I own an apartment in Europe where I lived from 2002 to 2015. I still have the apartment but it is rented out to a tenant. I switched my address to my US address with Delta in 2015. Sure, I could game the system, but I don't want to lose all my miles and my pattern of flying makes it obvious that I am not in Europe. I don't know if Delta could/would figure it out.
Delta will ask you to provide certification issued by that country stating that you are a resident of that country. If you are able to provide such certification you are not "gaming" the system to any extent.
Old Oct 9, 2017, 11:10 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR

I not upset about anybody doing anything -- just my 2 cents worth that I don't think it is worth the risk. I have a German bank account and a good friend who takes in the odd piece mail for me. I probably could "manufacture" something. But as a wise woman once said “I will diminish, and go into the West and remain a SkyMiles Member.”
Old Oct 10, 2017, 5:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerCO
However DL then defines primary residence as being the primrary address on file. If DL wanted to use another definition they could've.
They actually define the term "Residency". They never define "primary residence" anywhere. The term "primary residence" only appears in a couple promo pages (without a definition -- which leads one to assume the common legal definition).

"Residency: Country of residence is determined by the primary address in the Member’s SkyMiles "

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.