Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta changed our itinerary 70 minutes later-90 or more required to avoid chg fee?

Delta changed our itinerary 70 minutes later-90 or more required to avoid chg fee?

Old Oct 3, 2017, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott, American, Delta, United

Hi,
Delta sent notice that our connection would be 73 minutes later and we now arrive after midnight with a longer layover, so I would like to change our flights without a fee. Via chat they indicated it must be greater than 90 minute change to have the fee waived.
Anyone have experience with them making an exception? Thanks.
The change was to our connection:
DELTA 1229 (was 1081)
Sat, November 11
Atlanta, Georgia
10:33 pm (was 9:20pm)
West Palm Beach, Florida
12:23 am (was 11:14pm)
**Sun, November 12
Old Oct 3, 2017, 3:52 pm

Programs: DL-Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Try calling, I have gotten less than 60 mins waived before, 73 is definately close enough IMO
If they won't do it HUCA
mland0821 and AceReport like this.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 4:02 pm

Won't be an issue, especially since it's a late night arrival.

Have a reasonable excuse lined up, such as "the last possible shuttle to our house leaves before the new scheduled arrival time"...etc. If that somehow doesn't work (99% chance it will) then HUCA as said above

I've gotten 25 mins. changed before with little to no pushback, I honestly wonder whether it shows the agents the real schedule change or if it just says "SCHEDULE CHANGED" like it shows us on DL.com, and they roll with it
Old Oct 3, 2017, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
90 is needed for a refund. 60 for free change. This is best done via phone. Know the flights you want and tell them. Otherwise what they suggest may be worse then what you got now.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 4:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Call, call, and call. Chat will get you a correct rules-based answer.

You don't need any excuse, you just need to politely ask.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 4:48 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond
I had something similar to OP recently and I called up and the agent changed it to an earlier flight no problem and told me to call in those sorts of situations
Old Oct 3, 2017, 5:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott, American, Delta, United
Originally Posted by Keith2004
Try calling, I have gotten less than 60 mins waived before, 73 is definately close enough IMO
If they won't do it HUCA
Thanks. Do you think they would have an issue with changing the date?
Old Oct 3, 2017, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by mland0821
There will likely be an issue as date changes are against published re-accomodation policy - here's the policy for agents: (https://pro.delta.com/content/agency...on-policy.html)

If the Schedule Change reaccommodation is not acceptable you may reaccommodate the customer as follows:

The new flights must be rebooked using the same origin and destination, the same class of service and the same date as the original ticket.
And here's it from Delta.com (https://www.delta.com/components/pop...itions_txt.jsp)
CONDITIONS APPLY
If a Delta schedule or routing change has delayed your departure or arrival by more than one hour, you may be eligible to select an alternate flight at no additional charge. Note that the below conditions may apply:
  • Your origin, destination and travel date must remain the same
  • Alternate flights must be available, and you can only modify once as subsequent changes may result in additional fees
  • Voluntary changes to other flights not impacted by a Delta schedule change may result in additional fees

Last edited by serfty; Oct 3, 2017 at 5:49 pm
Old Oct 3, 2017, 5:23 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Yes. They are highly unlikely to accommodate this request. You MIGHT get them issue you a refund because of the time change, but as Flyerco said, that does require 90 minutes.

The only reason I could see them changing the date is that you could say that the new time is too late for you to arrive, but the earlier flights don't work, and could you please put me on the first flight out the following morning. That MIGHT work, especially because the new arrival date is already the next day.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 8:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
I changed one yesterday that gave a tight connection in MSP. They have now routed me via DTW - the change was 37 minutes IIRC. No problem at all and no change fee.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 9:01 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Yes. They are highly unlikely to accommodate this request. You MIGHT get them issue you a refund because of the time change, but as Flyerco said, that does require 90 minutes.

The only reason I could see them changing the date is that you could say that the new time is too late for you to arrive, but the earlier flights don't work, and could you please put me on the first flight out the following morning. That MIGHT work, especially because the new arrival date is already the next day.
I was able to change a date on one occasion, when my AM flight (first flight out) was moved an hour+ later. Told them it would make me late for my meeting, and asked to move to the last flight the night before. Put on hold for 30 seconds, rep came back and said no problem.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 9:51 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat., SPG Plat.
The only time I had a date changed was when it involved a red eye flight. From a post midnight departure that gave me an illegal connection in MSP to an 11pm departure the day before via DTW..
Old Oct 4, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond
+1 on calling. I had a schedule change that got us into Vegas 60 minutes later than original flight. Since we are going for an event it would be cutting it too close. They changed me, a companion, and another guy on a separate PNR for free.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 10:37 am

Programs: DL Silver, Avis President's Club, Hertz President's Circle, Global Entry (Former AA Plt/Gold)
Hi,
Delta sent notice that our connection would be 73 minutes later and we now arrive after midnight with a longer layover, so I would like to change our flights without a fee. Via chat they indicated it must be greater than 90 minute change to have the fee waived.
Anyone have experience with them making an exception? Thanks.
I called (not chat/Twitter) when DL changed my flight by exactly 60 minutes. They let me change, no problem.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 11:01 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
"This new itinerary is unacceptable to me. I would never have booked this itinerary myself, and I want the ticket refunded."

Keep saying this to as many people as will listen, and they'll likely do it (eventually).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.