Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta from Dublin

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2017, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Delta from Dublin

I have to travel from Dublin to Los Angeles coach. Can anybody tell me whether I should fly Delta or American and if it is Delta should I go via atlanta or jfk?

with American I know I can go via Chicago on the Dreamliner but I do wonder which one is the best airline in terms of comfort and amenities and delta provides Wi-Fi I'm not quite sure about American.

I'd appreciate it if someone could give me a heads up if they've flown this route.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 3:51 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
I would avoid the 787 in coach. The seats are narrower than anything DL flies (last time I did ATL-DUB it was A330 both ways, as were the JFK flights IIRC).
Old Oct 2, 2017, 3:55 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
I would probably try routing via JFK on DL, the ATL-LAX has a mix of equipment (including the dreaded 737-900) while JFK-LAX will always be an internationally-configured aircraft with a bit more room.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 4:30 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM; AS MVP-G
You can also route through BOS... if you prefer the quieter, more intimate connection.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
DL via JFK. Both flights will likely be either 767s or A330s. In coach both offer 2 seat sides on both left and right side.

You'll also get a free meal via JFK unlike ATL/ORD to LAX.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 4:42 pm

Programs: DL DM; Hyatt Globalist; etc
I flew JFK-DUB-JFK on DL earlier this year in Y, I would highly recommend. The 767 has one of the best coach offerings in any US long-haul fleet IMO, 2x3x2 seating is awesome.

If you can time it right, you should be able to get into a 767 for both legs DUB-JFK-LAX (at worst, an A330 or 757 will get thrown in) which should be nice.

Much better than the 787 cabin which is a significant step down in comfort, and T4 at JFK is pretty nice.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 4:50 pm

ATL and BOS are seasonal, so unless you are flying in the next few weeks you'll be on the 767-400 to JFK (if on Delta). I agree with manacit, 767 is still the nicest experience in coach.
manacit likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 5:29 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by GreerApproach
You can also route through BOS... if you prefer the quieter, more intimate connection.
If it weren’t for DUB being Pre-clearance I would be against this because all INTL arrivals in BOS must arrive through Terminal E and you would have to make the long trek all the way over to Terminal A.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 9:50 am
Original Poster

My other option of course is to use EI to SFO direct.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
There is also Aer Lingus Dublin to Los Angeles nonstop flight.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Ya. I think I'll go DUB-LAX direct. It will save changing at JFK. I hope I'm making the right choice?😨
Old Oct 3, 2017, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Peadar
Ya. I think I'll go DUB-LAX direct. It will save changing at JFK. I hope I'm making the right choice?😨
Remember DUB is preclearance. Thus wont need to deal with US Immigration/Customs and TSA at JFK. They're really what make it a nightmare IMO. Especially waiting for bags in customs hall.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 4:12 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all your advice everybody. Flyer Talk is an amazing resource.

The advice that I've been given has prompted me to do research on the Airlines out of Dublin flying across the Atlantic.

I've flown United from Shannon to New York before and I had a very good experience, however Dublin is now my preferred Airport, and after my research my feeling is the next time I fly to New York I would use Delta.

In the past all my flights have been East. Since my business has changed they are all now to North or South America, so I really have to get up to speed, especially with security arrangements in the USA, as for example, I did not know that after doing pre-clearance on a DL DUB-LAX transiting at JFK that I would have more TSA at JFK....and I presume a terminal change?

I have Quito Lima Santiago EZE BOG and GIG to do and it maybe that most of these future flights destinations/connections mean it would be beneficial for me to fly via the USA. So it's good to know anything about transiting in the USA.

Btw. I'm sure I speak for everybody here in Ireland when I say Warm wishes, condolences and thoughts to firstly the friends and families of loved ones who lost somebody in the Vegas tragedy, but also to the American people who must be united in shock and grief over Vegas, American people who we Irish always have a great affinity towards.

Best of luck.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 5:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Peadar
Thanks for all your advice everybody. Flyer Talk is an amazing resource.

The advice that I've been given has prompted me to do research on the Airlines out of Dublin flying across the Atlantic.

I've flown United from Shannon to New York before and I had a very good experience, however Dublin is now my preferred Airport, and after my research my feeling is the next time I fly to New York I would use Delta.

In the past all my flights have been East. Since my business has changed they are all now to North or South America, so I really have to get up to speed, especially with security arrangements in the USA, as for example, I did not know that after doing pre-clearance on a DL DUB-LAX transiting at JFK that I would have more TSA at JFK....and I presume a terminal change?

I have Quito Lima Santiago EZE BOG and GIG to do and it maybe that most of these future flights destinations/connections mean it would be beneficial for me to fly via the USA. So it's good to know anything about transiting in the USA.

Btw. I'm sure I speak for everybody here in Ireland when I say Warm wishes, condolences and thoughts to firstly the friends and families of loved ones who lost somebody in the Vegas tragedy, but also to the American people who must be united in shock and grief over Vegas, American people who we Irish always have a great affinity towards.

Best of luck.
No TSA at JFK departing from DUB. As i stated DUB has pre-clearance so you get to skip the worst parts of arriving internationally at JFK.

DL operates majority of flights (and all international and widebodies) from T4. Some other flights depart from T2. However DL has an airside shuttle to connect you.

As far as transiting US, as long as flying out of DUB, it's a piece of cake. Just like if you were connecting from a domestic flight.

Of the US3, DL IMO is hands down best. OT stats can't be beat, IRROPS handling is great, planes for the most part are comfortable, etc. Only use AA when DL doesn't fly somewhere. UA is slowing coming around, but as is clear, still hasn't gotten past falling down while trying to walk upright.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 7:41 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
I do LAX-DUB in Y every year or two, usually when JFK is the only DL option. JFK is fairly close to being halfway which for me breaks up the trip nicely. (Obviously, if flying up front this is not a good thing).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.