Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Preemptively moving to an earlier flight to avoid oversell?

Old Oct 2, 17, 1:30 pm
Original Poster

I posted before about getting a $200 voucher preemptively for the itinerary change SEA-SLC-MCO to SEA-ATL-MCO (minor timing change). But now there's an additional wrinkle.

My flight is tomorrow, 10/3. When I checked in, I got a notice about seeking volunteers for my current flight (both legs). I'm doubtful I want to change to a later flight, but I would be willing to change to a redeye (say the SEA-MSP-MCO leaving SEA at 12:40 AM).

Is there any way to get Delta to move me now? Otherwise I lose that chance.
Old Oct 2, 17, 1:36 pm

Programs: DL DM
No guarantees, but it canít hurt to ask! (I have had success in similar situations)
Old Oct 2, 17, 1:38 pm

Not to my knowledge, but I would warn you that the 12:40am MSP flight can leave you with some brutal jetlag so I would suggest a flight through ATL or DTW that will provide a little bit longer sleep duration.
Old Oct 2, 17, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by WillTravel View Post
I posted before about getting a $200 voucher preemptively for the itinerary change SEA-SLC-MCO to SEA-ATL-MCO (minor timing change). But now there's an additional wrinkle.

My flight is tomorrow, 10/3. When I checked in, I got a notice about seeking volunteers for my current flight (both legs). I'm doubtful I want to change to a later flight, but I would be willing to change to a redeye (say the SEA-MSP-MCO leaving SEA at 12:40 AM).

Is there any way to get Delta to move me now? Otherwise I lose that chance.
No guarantees obviously but both the 745am and 915am departures to ATL appear completely full on the seat map (minus F) so they might be willing if you ask
Old Oct 2, 17, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Phoning did not work. I'll see if I get a response to my email.

It's true it's not great so far as sleep goes, but I'd be happy to take a nap later and get much more of the day than I would if I take the 6:15 AM flight (and I always find it hard to sleep before that anyway).
Old Oct 2, 17, 4:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Your flight may be overbooked, but it can't be oversold until more properly ticketed passengers show up at the gate by T-15 than there are seats. Most often, overbooked flights wind up not oversold.

DL only proactively changes passengers when it is self-evident that the flight will be oversold for one reason or another. If you got a "no" it is because the flight was not flagged for this.
Old Oct 2, 17, 5:58 pm

Programs: DL DM, MM; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Your flight may be overbooked, but it can't be oversold until more properly ticketed passengers show up at the gate by T-15 than there are seats. Most often, overbooked flights wind up not oversold.
Most of the time when I volunteer for VDB, they do not need me. Revenue management is really good at estimating the number of no shows. Since they know how good they at this are the only time they will entertain moving you to an earlier flight is if they are confident there will be a serious oversold situation.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: