Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Paying for Skyclub Membership: Worth it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Paying for Skyclub Membership: Worth it?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2017, 6:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta
Originally Posted by jrhmdtraum
My sky club card also required delta flight
Oh that's interesting. For some reason I thought if you purchased a membership you could enter as long as you had a flight that day, regardless of carrier. Am I wrong?
Old Oct 6, 2017, 6:19 am

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bgusto
Oh that's interesting. For some reason I thought if you purchased a membership you could enter as long as you had a flight that day, regardless of carrier. Am I wrong?
You can. But if your access is via an affiliated credit card that provides complimentary lounge access (ex. Delta Amex Reserve), than you have to be on that airline. But if you buy a SkyClub membership outright, then you get access. I use the T2E SC at O'Hare all the time when I fly United because it's near the express gates I often am assigned.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 6:26 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bergamini
You can. But if your access is via an affiliated credit card that provides complimentary lounge access (ex. Delta Amex Reserve), than you have to be on that airline. But if you buy a SkyClub membership outright, then you get access. I use the T2E SC at O'Hare all the time when I fly United because it's near the express gates I often am assigned.
Gotcha. Yeah the United terminal is not nearly as nice as other parts of ORD.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 11:05 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I suspect that to pay with miles for an SC membership, you must do it online or by calling DL rather than by attempting to purchase the membership at the door.
I renew my membership with miles every year at a SC desk. The agent fills out a temporary card, then a regular card comes in the mail.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Well, we decided to give it a shot for a year...I felt like I just wanted to try it and see for myself.

We couldn't find a seat in the DTW SC, so after grabbing some food, we ended up sitting by the gate; which was honestly way quieter than the SC. (DTW is a nice airport anyway as you know). I could see it coming in handy in places less ideal like ORD or LGA.
Ah, yes. The bitter reality of buyer's remorse.

I suspect you were in the DTW Concourse A Center club. The only reason to go there is if you want a shower, and have the time to wait for it. Or, if you like hobnobbing with vast multitudes.

Next time in DTW, try either club at the end of Concourse A. Or, if you have sufficient time, try the club in Concourse C. They all tend to be less crowded.

There are a few good clubs left in the system. They tend to be the ones that still look like Crown Rooms and tend to be in less busy airports, or in locations that the general membership don't think to look.

My favorite club in ATL complies with both of those characteristics, but I tend not to reveal its identity. You will have to do your own research on that one.

I will reveal the benefits of the club in CVG. Regretfully, DL management have decided that you will most likely have to fly a CRJ to get there to enjoy it.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 3:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Ah, yes. The bitter reality of buyer's remorse.

I suspect you were in the DTW Concourse A Center club. The only reason to go there is if you want a shower, and have the time to wait for it. Or, if you like hobnobbing with vast multitudes.

Next time in DTW, try either club at the end of Concourse A. Or, if you have sufficient time, try the club in Concourse C. They all tend to be less crowded.

There are a few good clubs left in the system. They tend to be the ones that still look like Crown Rooms and tend to be in less busy airports, or in locations that the general membership don't think to look.

My favorite club in ATL complies with both of those characteristics, but I tend not to reveal its identity. You will have to do your own research on that one.

I will reveal the benefits of the club in CVG. Regretfully, DL management have decided that you will most likely have to fly a CRJ to get there to enjoy it.
Thanks, I will look at one of those clubs in DTW on our way back.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 4:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Thanks, I will look at one of those clubs in DTW on our way back.
Note that the center A lounge at DTW has more/better food than the two at the end, such as IME the grilled chicken strips. BTW all have self service bars, although only the center one has showers.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 3:30 pm

Programs: IHG Spire
Curious to me that MSP C club had mass quantities of hard boiled eggs out next to the little muffins and cereal chute tubes this morning.

Surrounding gates occupied by little and marginally bigger Barbie jets- what kind of evil would think eggs were a good idea?

Should note that I'm a newbie to Sky Clubs. Membership w/ miles was my birthday present to myself, so I'm checking them all out as I travel. Eggs may be a standard morning club staple, but I still think they're a bad idea.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 3:45 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by Cyberian
Curious to me that MSP C club had mass quantities of hard boiled eggs out next to the little muffins and cereal chute tubes this morning.

Surrounding gates occupied by little and marginally bigger Barbie jets- what kind of evil would think eggs were a good idea?

Should note that I'm a newbie to Sky Clubs. Membership w/ miles was my birthday present to myself, so I'm checking them all out as I travel. Eggs may be a standard morning club staple, but I still think they're a bad idea.
Why do you think they're a bad idea?
Old Oct 8, 2017, 4:35 pm

Programs: IHG Spire
Originally Posted by CarmenOM
Why do you think they're a bad idea?
Eggs, particularly hard boiled for some reason (pickled seems to be the ultimate in my case), tend to produce the most noxious sulfurous flatulence.- so if you got tear gassed on DL4723 this morning, it wasn't me, I grabbed a Starbucks coffee to go (go cups are on the left side, by the espresso) and a poppy-seed muffin, that's all
Old Oct 10, 2017, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cyberian
Eggs, particularly hard boiled for some reason (pickled seems to be the ultimate in my case), tend to produce the most noxious sulfurous flatulence.- so if you got tear gassed on DL4723 this morning, it wasn't me, I grabbed a Starbucks coffee to go (go cups are on the left side, by the espresso) and a poppy-seed muffin, that's all
I love eggs. But I see your point.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.