Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Anyone else panic when they see "Schedule Changes that Impact your trip"?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone else panic when they see "Schedule Changes that Impact your trip"?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2017, 10:10 pm

Location: Pleasant Prairie, WI USA DL FO (until 2/04), NW silver '03, NW gold '04+'05 Plat '06+ (thanks, Leo!), DL SkyClub
Programs: DL Plat/ Million Miler, AS, Hilton, Marriott Bonvoy, Piggly Wiggly Pig Points
I usually have the panicky feeling and then see it's a six-minute change. But then there are times when it's more severe. Best one for me is booking the inaugural MKE-SEA flight on the day it was announced. Weeks later I get the Saturday night massacre message that I was rebooked onto two flights. I called the Plat line and the agent said it was cancelled. I said that's weird because it was an announced service inauguration and they usually have a launch party, etc. A couple of hours later I called back and got a more knowledgable agent who pulled up the press release and also thought it was weird. So she called operations and was told they didn't have a plane! Then we saw the MKE-SEA nonstop was in the schedule for the following day. Turns out whoever did the press release made a goof and put the wrong date in it. The plane was added to the schedule and tickets were sold, etc. Then operations discovered the error and just "corrected it" without telling anyone. DL rebooked me for the inaugural flight on the next day once we figured out what happened. Seeing how messed up that got something prompted me to drop a dime on MKE airport operations. Turns out nobody at DL let them know of the date change and they were geared up for the rollout party on the wrong day!
DiverDave likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 10:11 pm

Location: Pleasant Prairie, WI USA DL FO (until 2/04), NW silver '03, NW gold '04+'05 Plat '06+ (thanks, Leo!), DL SkyClub
Programs: DL Plat/ Million Miler, AS, Hilton, Marriott Bonvoy, Piggly Wiggly Pig Points
Originally Posted by C W
I get excited when I see it as I can often change to a better itinerary for free.

I freak out when I see "Last Minute Information about Your Trip".
Even worse is when you get that one after landing!
Old Oct 1, 2017, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Zorak
Mostly a formality/courtesy to give them time to pull up the record and make sure they're ready to type it in or whatever. ...
yes; the "..." after "record locator XXXXXX" is literally a long pause to wait for the phone agent to confirm they're looking at the same itinerary, which I take to mean they can see the schedule change notification
Old Oct 1, 2017, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by NZLMAN
Nine times out of ten I love it when I see this. I often book the cheapest FC fare I can find months in advance and wait for the schedule change to get the flights I really want. The only time I don't like it is for family vacations, because I always book the flights I want up front.
imo the idea -- even for vacation travel -- is to book flights you're actually willing to take, whether or not they're the ideal ones; that way you retain a degree of flexibility in the near-inevitable event of schedule changes
Old Oct 1, 2017, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I think many of us of on FT see these as free rebooking opportunities, not things to be afraid of

See also the mega-thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ain-today.html
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Indeed. Schedule changes are a gift unless one has booked thru an incompetent TA, online or otherwise.
+1. Can be especially helpful on award tickets when you book a cheaper (or cheapest) mileage option with a less convenient schedule. Schedule change can be a great opportunity to move onto the more direct/convenient option without an add/collect.

Thinking specifically of Europe where the cheaper options usually require you to flow via AMS or CDG instead of taking the direct from secondary European cities.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 11:30 pm

If the change is very significant as in I won't make my connection then I call Delta. If not I will then just let it be. To me 3 minutes more or less is not a major deal. If I will miss my connection then of course I will switch to a new flight or if it means I will miss an important event.
Dick Ginkowski likes this.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 12:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I think many of us of on FT see these as free rebooking opportunities, not things to be afraid of

See also the mega-thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...ain-today.html
Yeah, that thread helped me when I had a significant change in the not-so-distant past. So when I have had a second one in a month I was like "WHAT NOW?!"

Interesting FT'er perspective of liking the changes to get 'better' routes that might have cost more originally.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by jrl767
imo the idea -- even for vacation travel -- is to book flights you're actually willing to take, whether or not they're the ideal ones; that way you retain a degree of flexibility in the near-inevitable event of schedule changes
I'm always willing to take whatever flight I originally book, however it doesn't always mean it's ideal. I recently booked a YYZ-China round trip for USD2200 in D1 with 2 connections on the way home, but as I am actually closer to DTW I would have preferred the direct from there, yet it was USD7000. After schedule changes I was able to get direct DTW-China. 12+ more hours with my family is a good thing!
Old Oct 2, 2017, 6:49 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Indeed. Schedule changes are a gift unless one has booked thru an incompetent TA, online or otherwise.
Not if you are going somewhere with one flight a day and your connection has just been busted or they have decided not to operate your non stop flight that day.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 6:59 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Opportunity, sometimes positive with no action on my part, sometimes not, but almost always manageable.
Most recent was with the return on an award flight to PRG. The non-stop will be starting later next spring. DL rebooked me to another afternoon flight from PRG (I really didn't want the 6 am departure connecting in AMS or CDG). And I get to fly on the KL 747 from AMS-JFK, and even booked me into 1A, one of the only 2 window seats with aisle access on KL 747.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 8:26 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by Dick Ginkowski
Turns out whoever did the press release made a goof and put the wrong date in it.
That story is worthy of its own thread.

David
Old Oct 2, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
Not if you are going somewhere with one flight a day and your connection has just been busted or they have decided not to operate your non stop flight that day.
No carrier promises to operate every flight, every day. Some routes are going to get busted. If you can't live with that, pick origin and destination wisely - or charter.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 10:42 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by Gig103
Every time I get this e-mail, or its comparable one from another airline, my heart skips a beat. This time, it was a 3 minute delay getting back into PHX (and now the flight is "Operated by Compass Airlines"). Last time it was an hour change that gave me too close-for-comfort connection. Of course DL changed that one without a problem.
Panic? Not so much.

Drool? Usually.

David
Old Oct 2, 2017, 10:44 am

No reason to worry - you should be excited. If you have a change of an hour or more, its your golden ticket to the best equipment, routing and timing of the day! Just call up, have the flight #s you want to be on handy and Delta will fix it for free.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 10:48 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Depends on whether partner airlines are involved. If I have a purely DL ticket, I love seeing the schedule change notification (or better yet, getting the notification from ExpertFlyer, so I don't even have to check the DL website!) But if there's a partner airline involved, especially if it's an award ticket, then I can get a little nervous. For example, I have an upcoming award ticket to BKK that I put together very carefully on a combo of DL & KE. When I see schedule changes on that, I get nervous because if I can't make the KE flight I'm confirmed on, there's no guarantee DL can put me on a different KE flight. DL can't force KE to open award space on other flights and KE is notoriously stingy in releasing partner award space.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.