Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Workarounds for attaining Diamond medallion in 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Workarounds for attaining Diamond medallion in 2019

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2017, 9:44 pm

Programs: WFBF
Originally Posted by pgh234
Litterally Flyertalk exists for frequent flyers to try to learn "work arounds" to improve their experiences in the air. It used to be a welcoming and friendly place to do so.

If you WFBF with OPM all the time...what knowledge/pleasure/hobby do you even gain from participating here?

This is like me visiting a cat owners forum saying "WHY WHY WHY do you have these smelly, sneaky, mean creatures destroying your house!?!?"
What I gained from FT was not learning how to get status in odd ways, but how the various programs really worked, what to do when there were problems, etc.

What bugs me about this thread -- as a former AA EXP/DL PM now in year 2 of solid WFBF -- is the expectation that Delta should provide a workaround. They seem to have looked at the books and decided that someone who doesn't hit a certain spend threshold isn't, on average, worth providing the DM benefits to (since those benefits come at a cost to the airline). And I'm not seeing people really coming up with "workarounds" so much as I'm seeing a lot of people complaining that Delta hasn't left them a workaround to keep rolling over status year to year.

The airline loyalty game is cyclical. When the economy's OK and enough people are buying tickets, loyalty alone isn't worth much to the airlines and they let you know it.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 10:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta 1MM/DM, *wood Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by puddinhead
Don't forget Delta Private Jets. Buying a card for $100,000 gets you Diamond status on Delta with no MQM or MQD$.
Haha, I've seriously considered that before but the 2 year expiry was a deal killer !
sdadept likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 4:45 am

Programs: DL DM, GOES
No one's mentioned slipping the GA a $50 to get F, like a room upgrade at the hotel... that works, right?
Old Oct 6, 2017, 9:03 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Originally Posted by bubbashow
WHY?! WHY?! WHY?! does there need to be a workaround? WHY can't people just spend the 15K MQD or whatever is required. It is a small request for the amount of flying.
I realize that you get a kick out of making the comments to get a rise out of others but I will respond to others who might read this and think you make sense.

When rollovers were introduced as a benefit I looked at it as an opportunity to bank miles to maintain status for years when I may be close but can't attain the 125K that year. It is for this reason I continued to earn MQM's over DM every year because I knew with the AMEX waiver I could use them.

DL has yanked that benefit away and I now have over 320K MQM's that are almost useless. I know it is my fault I had faith in DL that they would not do this to me but I am still irritated that my past loyalty is negated like this.

So that is why a workaround is an appealing idea.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 11:35 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by pgh234
Litterally Flyertalk exists for frequent flyers to try to learn "work arounds" to improve their experiences in the air. It used to be a welcoming and friendly place to do so.

If you WFBF with OPM all the time...what knowledge/pleasure/hobby do you even gain from participating here?

This is like me visiting a cat owners forum saying "WHY WHY WHY do you have these smelly, sneaky, mean creatures destroying your house!?!?"
So much in agreement with this!!

Some just like to make sure not just that they get things, but specifically take pleasure when others are denied them.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 11:06 pm

Programs: Delta Sky Miles DM
Fly more

How about actually buying more tickets and flying more. After all it is a "frequent flyer" program not a frequent credit card program. If you want one of those get a Yonkers card.
estedman likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 8:14 am

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by syd999
Haha, I've seriously considered that before but the 2 year expiry was a deal killer !
You can use the funds for regular flights but if you can't won't spend $15k then $50k isn't going to be in your plan either.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 8:34 am

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by puddinhead
You can use the funds for regular flights but if you can't won't spend $15k then $50k isn't going to be in your plan either.
Can you use that $50k to pay for family members' tickets? If you spend a lot flying kids, grandparents, etc. around, right now that counts towards their MQD, but not yours.

Last edited by Bicoastal Local; Oct 7, 2017 at 8:42 am
Old Oct 7, 2017, 9:58 am

Programs: DL DM/2.9M, AA EXP, *A Gold
Originally Posted by jimrpa
I don’t see how a person can hit 125K MQM without getting pretty close to the $15K spend?
When your employer is paying the bills, I would agree, as you have no incentive to do otherwise.

When you're spending your own money, it's not hard to hit 125K MQM without getting anywhere close to $15K spend:

I'll finish 2017 at 190K+ MQMs (includes 45K rollover MQMs from last year) and about $1K MQDs.
Attached Images  
Old Oct 7, 2017, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by liuenci
How about actually buying more tickets and flying more. After all it is a "frequent flyer" program not a frequent credit card program. If you want one of those get a Yonkers card.
Using that logic, any credit card or dollar spend should not be part of the qualification criteria and we wouldn't need workarounds.
kitkat77 likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2017, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by syd999
Using that logic, any credit card or dollar spend should not be part of the qualification criteria and we wouldn't need workarounds.
Or the same with giving out hotel status with the credit cads. Why really gets me is there is at least one poster that thinks this is great for diamonds who fly delta a lot and meets the MQD requirement yet posts on the Hilton forum about having gold status through their credit card, isn't that taking away hotel upgrades from people who actually stay in Hiltons?
Old Oct 8, 2017, 10:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bicoastal Yokel
Can you use that $50k to pay for family members' tickets? If you spend a lot flying kids, grandparents, etc. around, right now that counts towards their MQD, but not yours.
That's a great point, that might be worth while to some folks here. I tried calling them but went to voicemail (yep, seriously. they have voicemail!!). Anyone know the answer to this question (whether you can use delta private jet credit to buy tickets for someone else)?

Last edited by syd999; Oct 8, 2017 at 11:08 am
Old Oct 8, 2017, 12:15 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Or the same with giving out hotel status with the credit cads. Why really gets me is there is at least one poster that thinks this is great for diamonds who fly delta a lot and meets the MQD requirement yet posts on the Hilton forum about having gold status through their credit card, isn't that taking away hotel upgrades from people who actually stay in Hiltons?
I'm DM the hard way with Hilton and am wondering what is this hotel upgrades thing you are speaking of. Hell, I can't even park in my reserved parking spots at Hampton Inns because they are always occupied.
Qwkynuf likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 1:03 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by liuenci
Let me fix that for you:

"'How about actually buying more <expensive> tickets and flying more. After all it is a 'frequent flyer' <'frequent flyer AND buyer'> program not a frequent credit card program. If you want one of those get a Yonkers card."

Frequent flyer assumes flying only. Flying only has not given status since 2013/2014 when they instituted MQDs. Feel free to be snarky, but at least be accurate.

On a side note, I have no idea what Yonkers even is (a store, I assume), so getting their credit card seems like a highly regional thing.
Old Oct 8, 2017, 1:41 pm

Programs: Delta, AA, Hilton
Originally Posted by NecessaryIndulgences
When your employer is paying the bills, I would agree, as you have no incentive to do otherwise.

When you're spending your own money, it's not hard to hit 125K MQM without getting anywhere close to $15K spend:

I'll finish 2017 at 190K+ MQMs (includes 45K rollover MQMs from last year) and about $1K MQDs.
Can you elaborate on how you managed to pull off nearly 120k MQM with less than $1k MQD? Is it just a terrible MQD multiplier on a low-tier partner? I wouldn't think you could get anywhere close to that on DL metal as it works out to less than $0.01 per mile.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.