Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Why does DL suck so bad? MU and CZ booking fails

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2017, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Accor Diamond, SPG Gold, Fairmont Premier, Club Carlson Gold

I've been looking for flights from JFK-PVG on MU and JFK-CAN on CZ in Business Class for the past month and Delta shows availability for the direct flights all the time but when you go to book it, it's not bookable.

Anyone have any insight into this at all?

I know that this is happening because DL doesn't have access to real time availability for MU and CZ but why is this happening in 2018? It seems ridiculous.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 2:46 pm

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Originally Posted by llcooljayce
I've been looking for flights from JFK-PVG on MU and JFK-CAN on CZ in Business Class for the past month and Delta shows availability for the direct flights all the time but when you go to book it, it's not bookable.

Anyone have any insight into this at all?

I know that this is happening because DL doesn't have access to real time availability for MU and CZ but why is this happening in 2018? It seems ridiculous.
It's happening in 2017 also.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 4:44 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Have you tried calling?
Old Oct 1, 2017, 5:43 pm

Programs: TINDER GOLD, STARBUCKS GOLD, COSTCO EXECUTIVE!!
Agreed. I've switched all my award bookings to American Airlines where I can book Cathay and JAL online and United where I can book Singapore. Shame on you, Delta!
Old Oct 1, 2017, 6:11 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC, Natl EE
Ha, try using MU's own websites, those are a total mess! Wouldn't be surprised if their backend was just as bad if not worse.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 6:34 pm

Programs: NW Gold->CO->UA->DL PM
What do you mean by "not bookable?" What message(s) do you get? Or do you get the price increasing when attempting checkout?
Old Oct 1, 2017, 6:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Just call DL. There isn't even a phone fee. Then move on.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by kthomas
What do you mean by "not bookable?" What message(s) do you get? Or do you get the price increasing when attempting checkout?
This is a long standing issue with CZ/MU award bookings. Sadly not much DL can do about it.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 7:22 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
I'd hazard a guess that this is more of a CZ/MU problem than a Delta problem.

MU's website is completely nonfunctional. When I fly them is the only time I use an OTA.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 8:44 pm

Programs: DL GM
It is 100% a MU problem. MU's website is a disaster and there is a huge disconnect between DL and MU when it comes to what shows as available and what actually is available. You will need to call, but even then you'll need some patience. The last time I booked MU via DL, it took over an hour on the phone with DL who spent the same time on the phone with MU trying to get me booked and MU barely even knew what was available on their own plane as I had to tell DL to tell MU that I could clearly see a seat available.

When you call in, you might get transferred a few different places but eventually they'll get you taken care but it is definitely a MU issue not a DL one. In the case of CZ, I'm not as certain but would guess the same thing. MU is a nightmare to deal with, but spending an hour on the phone with DL is better than trying to navigate MU's various websites.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Accor Diamond, SPG Gold, Fairmont Premier, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by RumPatrol
It is 100% a MU problem. MU's website is a disaster and there is a huge disconnect between DL and MU when it comes to what shows as available and what actually is available. You will need to call, but even then you'll need some patience. The last time I booked MU via DL, it took over an hour on the phone with DL who spent the same time on the phone with MU trying to get me booked and MU barely even knew what was available on their own plane as I had to tell DL to tell MU that I could clearly see a seat available.

When you call in, you might get transferred a few different places but eventually they'll get you taken care but it is definitely a MU issue not a DL one. In the case of CZ, I'm not as certain but would guess the same thing. MU is a nightmare to deal with, but spending an hour on the phone with DL is better than trying to navigate MU's various websites.
Good to know.

I have called multiple times and DL agents have told me that this is an issue they call "available - non-bookable". Unfortunately there is nothing that they have been able to do to force the booking. It's very frustrating.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 11:52 pm

Originally Posted by keitherson
Agreed. I've switched all my award bookings to American Airlines where I can book Cathay and JAL online and United where I can book Singapore. Shame on you, Delta!
You can book Cathay and JAL online at AA.com? Since when?
Old Oct 2, 2017, 1:46 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by s0ssos
+1

aa.com is by far the worst of all the US-based airline websites for award bookings. Very few options bookable online.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by s0ssos
the poster was being sarcastic since none of the airlines he mentioned are bookable online. For me UA>DL>AA when it comes to mileage bookings.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 9:18 am

Programs: DL DM PM
Originally Posted by llcooljayce
Good to know.

I have called multiple times and DL agents have told me that this is an issue they call "available - non-bookable". Unfortunately there is nothing that they have been able to do to force the booking. It's very frustrating.
They can't force the booking because it's not actually available IME. What they can do is tell you what is available. The DL agent in my case was able to see on her system or her interface to the MU system what she could get me, and was successful. The interface DL.com uses is to some database that is not kept up-to-date on the MU side.
RumPatrol likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.