Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hurricane cancellation info needed

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2017, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Hurricane cancellation info needed

Booked a flight to Las Vegas for Nov 5 prior to the hurricane here in Florida. My property is still not repaired or rebuilt. Can I cancel my trip without a fee or losing my miles?
Old Oct 1, 2017, 10:57 am

Programs: DL DM 1MM; Marriott Titanium
You can certainly ask. But right now, the Delta travel waiver for most Florida airports is for travel Sept 6-20 with reissue by Sept 30 (yesterday).

For travel to/from/through Key West (EYW), the impact travel dates can be Sept 21-Oct 12 with rebooked travel to begin by Oct. 15.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 12:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You can ask DL, but you will be outside the weather waiver. The best I would expect is a change to a later date with a waiver of the change fee. I would have those new dates handy when you call because the fact that one agent is willing to do something not required by a a fare rule doesn't mean the next one will be.

You might also check both your travel and homeowners policies. The former is more likely, but the latter might include this as part of the rebuilding issue.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Worse case scenario I have a great Dr who will write me a no-fly order
Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:17 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by nydisneykid
Nothing like the reassurance of having a doctor who will lie for you.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 1:20 pm

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat

TSA will probably be willing to help you with a no-fly status.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 3:55 pm

And that won't get you anything

1. Delta doesn't want your order, they are not a health care provider, so the "order" has no relevance

2. They will be glad to send you receipts for you to file with your insurance, However remember that fraud does have some consequences

And of course we won't even discuss how the medical boards feel about fraudulent diagnosis.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 4:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I suspect that DL has established internal guidelines for post-storm requests in order to avoid just this sort of issue. Doubtful that front-line agent has discretion here.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 5:37 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Booked a flight to Las Vegas for Nov 5 prior to the hurricane here in Florida. My property is still not repaired or rebuilt. Can I cancel my trip without a fee or losing my miles?
Honesty is the best policy. Call to speak to a customer service representative and be truthful about your situation.

What will likely happen is the customer service representative will ask a supervisor for guidance. After waiting on hold for a few minutes, you should get your answer.

If the answer is yes, congratulations — but if the answer is no, try the “hang up and call again” mantra. Sometimes a different customer service representative and a different supervisor may be more sympathetic to your situation and grant you your request.

If you have SkyMiles Medallion status, you may have a better shot an an exemption.
Originally Posted by Often1
You can ask DL, but you will be outside the weather waiver. The best I would expect is a change to a later date with a waiver of the change fee. I would have those new dates handy when you call because the fact that one agent is willing to do something not required by a a fare rule doesn't mean the next one will be.
This is good advice: ensure that you have some alternatives available in case you are denied having your SkyMiles redeposited into your account without paying a fee — as well as having the taxes for the trip refunded to your credit card.

Policies are usually in place at a company to protect its business interests so that hordes of people do not rampantly take advantage of the company. Through the years, customer services at Delta Air Lines has always been reasonable with me and worked with me on exceptions to their policies — but then again, I rarely call to ask for exceptions.
I hope that you do not resort to that...
Traveller likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
And of course we won't even discuss how the medical boards feel about fraudulent diagnosis.

With all of the pill mills down here in Fla, I doubt that would be a hindrance.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.