Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My "Dear John" letter to Delta

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2017, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by estedman
I don't get all the hubalub about the AMEX cards. I don't have one and will make DM in about a month, already at 18000 for MQD.
You know what, that's a really great point...I'm really curious of those that qualify for DM via MQD, how many don't even have the Delta Amex.

I don't and I'm about 2x the MQD requirement for DM annually, and now, even if I did want an Amex, the last one I would get is DL's.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 2:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
Lifetime gold is 2MM. Maybe that's what the poster meant?
profile says "MM" hence the question
Old Oct 2, 2017, 2:41 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
I don't see why anyone who doesn't need the MQM boost or waiver would ever consider getting one. The only benefit for someone like that is the tiebreaker for domestic upgrades with the reserve, but it's like the 7th or 8th tiebreaker so it probably only comes into play very rarely.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 3:34 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by Ysitincoach
You know what, that's a really great point...I'm really curious of those that qualify for DM via MQD, how many don't even have the Delta Amex.

I don't and I'm about 2x the MQD requirement for DM annually, and now, even if I did want an Amex, the last one I would get is DL's.
While not a current DM, the two years that I qualified for DM it was with $28-30k in spend each year. I've never had a DL Amex. I do have a Marriott Signature but mostly use a 5% rebate Discover.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 9:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond, SW A List, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum United 1K
OP here (slightly roasted but still kicking...) 😄

Don’t think folks like me are “bad customers”: fly about 3 rts/month, book Delta 90% of the time. Sometimes the ticket is 600, sometimes 200 (not my fault that they’re the low price option in my market), but it’s revenue stream. Diamonds that get their status through paid international business class etc are likely much more price sensitive than folks like me...and while the thought of “thinning the herd” may give the remaining Diamonds the warm and fuzzies, would they spend/fly more as a result? Or perhaps they’re going to try to poach FFs from other programs (but that wouldn’t thin herd much, would it)?

Doesn’t make much sense to me: happiness/unhappiness is irrelevant as long as no actions are attached. There really is no incentive for Delta to make status more exclusive that I can figure out...GUCs, while very valuable to most DM are just giving away spoiling inventory to them...transportation is already paid for by underlying economy ticket so we’re talking amenities and F+B.

Oh well, I’m not bitter (anymore), just curious...and who knows, in a few years when I get disenchanted with UA, things will have changed...

Last edited by gigglypug; Oct 3, 2017 at 9:10 am
Old Oct 3, 2017, 9:11 am

Programs: 3MM DM, DL Reserve, HH Diamond, Nat Exec Elite, SPG, PC, etc...
Originally Posted by jrl767
profile says "MM" hence the question
I haven't updated it in years. I'm cresting 3MM this month actually.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 9:57 am

Good Move

Originally Posted by gigglypug
Sent this to Customer Care after receiving a canned reply justifying their new policy by explaining how much this improves the situation for the remaining Diamonds. Know this doesn't change anything out there, but it felt/feels therapeutic 😄 To all the remaining Diamonds out there, enjoy my share of upgrades after January 2018 and my GUC share after January 2019 ❤️

Hello,

Thanks for the reply, but are you seriously suggesting that I should just be happy to be a Delta Platinum when (at my current spend and miles) I would qualify in the top tier for either United or AA??

Delta has had a higher bar than other airlines for quite some time, but this was mitigated/justified with the roll-over program for miles and the Amex waiver for MQD. With the waiver (for all intents and purposes) gone, any current Diamond with a spend between $12,000 and $14,999 is better off elsewhere....

For me, it's all about the GUCs (which are not available to Platinums). Imagine my surprise and delight to discover that on United, I will get 6 of them!! Also, they have a lounge at SNA, my preferred airport!! And, they didn't just move into a DUMP of a terminal at LAX!! And, my whole family can sit with me in their equivalent of Comfort + !! And they have much better options to New Zealand, South America and Asia!! Polaris looks at least equivalent to Delta One (and actually, the suites to Asia look incredibly claustrophobic!), so no problem there...

Honestly, I never looked at any other airline and I suppose I should thank you for opening my eyes. I had blind loyalty to Delta since I started flying almost weekly 8 years ago and I was (and still am) very happy with the service I received...but now I know that there are other options and I intend to status match into the United program the beginning (rather than the end) of 2018.
Good move. I love it when U.S. consumers have choices. For me, I am sticking with Delta because other airlines are pretty much the same or soon will be. What one airline does they others almost always follow. So, devaluation on AA, UA, and DL ensures the other follow.

So, another airline. Go for it.

Old Oct 3, 2017, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by jrl767
when did that change? MM is complimentary annual Silver
Originally Posted by Orange County Commuter
Lifetime gold is 2MM. Maybe that's what the poster meant?
As of a number of years ago, MM status is no longer "lifetime"... unless you qualified before the policy change.

If you were "Lifetime GM" before the policy change, you would remain "Lifetime GM" until you pass the next milestone... at which time you would attain "Annual Complementary" at the next medallion level.

I went from "Lifetime Silver" to "Annual Complementary Gold" when I passed 2MM.

I put "Lifetime" in quotes since DL management have already demonstrated that, in their value system, "lifetime" promises do not always last a lifetime.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 1:53 pm

Programs: DL PM 2 Mil Miler, HZ PC, Marriott LT TI, AMB, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Ysitincoach

That's what I am getting at. I didn't mean to sound insensitive but the past few years I have had no problem making PM with MQD and am usually about twice the amount needed. I will be at probably 25,000 this year and will make DM the first time in 4 years. For the record I am not flying in Business Class all over the planet either. I am a Gov contractor so my fares are not expensive.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 2:10 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
$26,660 worth of "Dear John"

Delta stock had a nice move up today because analysts thought yesterday's operational result were not as bad as feared. However, I think the market is not yet recognizing that Delta is getting beat up in the Asia market by new Chinese airline routes to the USA. Here's the applicable Asia market segment results, year over year for Delta:

RPM's -11.3 (revenue passenger miles)
ASM -9.3 (available seat miles)
Load F -1.8 (load factor, or % seats sold)

This is basically saying Delta's transpacific market share declined MORE than their capacity shrunk. Not a good thing.

Also, their great deal on those Bombardier 100's could go "poof" because of the Trump administration's trade meddling.

I don't advocate making investment decisions on spite instead of careful logic and analysis. For me, it is nice when spite and logic coincide to sell a chunk of Delta stock today.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 2:21 pm

I wrote Delta an emphatic Dear John letter last year. In the letter I referenced a specific date I flew and someone over there figured out who my employer was and called our VP or Procurement (we are a 100,000+ employee company) to share my letter. I got a call from HQ wondering what the heck was going on. Mind you I sent the email from my personal email account, never referenced my company name and was upset but not obscene in any way.

I have been a platinum for 5 years and 2017 was the year I decided to walk away from my status. Last year I had 110 flown segments and this year I have about 25. I now fly whatever is cheapest and most convenient. I used to do whatever was necessary to preserve my status and I just don't care anymore. I have even flown Spirit Air this year!

Delta not only lost me, but my entire family as well. I have taken my family on 6 trips this year and flew Delta I think twice whereas last year I would have been 6 for 6. I currently have 3 overseas trips booked with my family and none are with Delta. If they were the cheapest and most convenient I would have taken them. We are all looking forward to trying Norwegian Premium in a few weeks.

Delta's loyalty program engenders ZERO loyalty.

Last edited by Los_Pepes; Oct 3, 2017 at 2:31 pm
Old Oct 3, 2017, 2:50 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Bowgie
Also, their great deal on those Bombardier 100's could go "poof" because of the Trump administration's trade meddling.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by Los_Pepes
I wrote Delta an emphatic Dear John letter last year. In the letter I referenced a specific date I flew and someone over there figured out who my employer was and called our VP or Procurement (we are a 100,000+ employee company) to share my letter. I got a call from HQ wondering what the heck was going on. Mind you I sent the email from my personal email account, never referenced my company name and was upset but not obscene in any way.

I have been a platinum for 5 years and 2017 was the year I decided to walk away from my status. Last year I had 110 flown segments and this year I have about 25. I now fly whatever is cheapest and most convenient. I used to do whatever was necessary to preserve my status and I just don't care anymore. I have even flown Spirit Air this year!

Delta not only lost me, but my entire family as well. I have taken my family on 6 trips this year and flew Delta I think twice whereas last year I would have been 6 for 6. I currently have 3 overseas trips booked with my family and none are with Delta. If they were the cheapest and most convenient I would have taken them. We are all looking forward to trying Norwegian Premium in a few weeks.

Wow. Doxing?

If they call my CEO, I am going to have a stern talk with myself. At the end of that conversation, I will have clearly communicated to myself what I expect of myself.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
If they call my CEO, I am going to have a stern talk with myself. At the end of that conversation, I will have clearly communicated to myself what I expect of myself.
as if you, of all DL FT regulars, aren't already talking to yourself
Old Oct 3, 2017, 7:30 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by Los_Pepes

That’s some serious BS what delta did in paragraph one.
Couldnt agree more with your last paragraph and think it goes for all US Airlines.
Maybe international ones also. Never been a member.

Last edited by apodo77; Oct 4, 2017 at 9:36 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.