My "Dear John" letter to Delta

Old Oct 3, 17, 8:20 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyingWithers View Post
Good move. I love it when U.S. consumers have choices. For me, I am sticking with Delta because other airlines are pretty much the same or soon will be. What one airline does they others almost always follow. So, devaluation on AA, UA, and DL ensures the other follow.

So, another airline. Go for it.

Who says you have to go to another airline? I plan to ignore status and purchase every flight based on price and/or schedule. I've bought Delta tickets countless times over the years when Delta wasn't the cheapest. I might keep doing that next year, my last as a Diamond (at least until my regional upgrade certs run out), but I will not spend one extra penny for a Delta flight in 2019. I'll still fly Delta if its cheaper (ha!) or if it has a more favorable schedule worth paying extra to get.

I'll also take my $120,000+ in Amex spend and move most of it, if not all of it, to Chase. I won't need so many bonus MQMs any longer. I used to fly at a Platinum pace and top off to Diamond. Now that I'm stuck at Platinum, the bonus MQMs are worthless. I'll cancel one reserve card, downgrade the other to Platinum Skymiles Amex, and put barely more than $25,000 on the Plat SM card. (I don't usually need the waiver for Platinum in many years, but better safe than sorry.)

This is business for us just like it is for Delta. When Delta changed the incentives, I don't think it contemplated what would happen to the newly demoted frequent flyers. It appears Delta just assumed that we would take the downgrade without any repercussions. Instead, many of us are going to price shop, and Delta will not see nearly as many purchases from us.

In short, I may not be the most profitable Diamond by spending about $10K on domestic tickets and putting over $120K on my Delta cards. But I have been profitable. Going forward, I'll be much less profitable for Delta and start adding some profit to other air lines.
Old Oct 3, 17, 10:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ScroogeMcFlyer View Post
Dear OP:

Every change any airline makes, or doesn't make, someone doesn't like it.

I'm not Diamond, but if I was, I'd probably want fewer people in the tier. United was smart to not have a waiver and so was AA. DL ultimately decided to continue the credit card waiver but at a very high threshold.

If you are a DM and only spending $12K, you aren't making the requirement. Everything who is always on the cusp of making a tier, always wants a waiver. Do you realize that the average DM isn't spending $15K, but probably significantly more. Maybe its $25K or $30K etc. Your $12K probably isn't close. You'll find the same situation at all the airlines. The minimum is there for a reason. The average is always much higher.

DL (and UA and AA) has to compete against Spirit, Frontier, Allegient, Sun Country, JetBlue, Southwest, Alaska etc. Let's take the first four. They generally offer a far inferior product. tiny legroom, crazy fees, carry on restrictions, no meaningful loyalty program, terrible operations, etc, but customers jump ship all the time to maybe save a buck or two.
Southwest, runs a good airline, but doesn't have upgrades, won't interline (bad during cancellations), and doesn't give as much compensation when things go wrong, doesn't get you overseas or to Hawaii or even an option for more legroom. And you'll likely have to pay for $30 for priority boarding to hope to get a good seat.

You say that United's Economy Plus is like Comfort but it's not quite as nice. There's no free drinks or snacks. If you really want the legroom, just spend the $20. If you are really spending $12K a year, just cough up $20. The airline didn't add legroom just to give it all away. Oh, and hope you enjoy paying for the United Club; and Clear and all the other perks DL offers.

Everyone wants something for free. I'm tired of reading everyone's first world problems.

Maybe you can write a letter to Delta (or United) and tell them how much you appreciate the help they are providing in Puerto Rico right now. #priorities
Have you ever flown Sun Country? They're not inferior and don't have tiny legroom, crazy fees, and carry on restrictions, at least not so far (but the new CEO wants to turn them into more of a LCC, and some FAs are reportedly leaving as a result).
Old Oct 3, 17, 10:12 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
profile says "MM" hence the question
Profile says 2.96MM.
Old Oct 3, 17, 10:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back home in the REAL Washington (SEA); still working occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area) and near LAX (El Segundo CA)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
do you EVER read back upthread before poking someone in the eye?

the poster in question OBVIOUSLY recently updated his profile (see posts #45, #47, and #51)
Old Oct 3, 17, 10:59 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Have you ever flown Sun Country? They're not inferior and don't have tiny legroom, crazy fees, and carry on restrictions, at least not so far (but the new CEO wants to turn them into more of a LCC, and some FAs are reportedly leaving as a result).
I was on Sun Country once (had a wedding to go to in MSP and it was basically either use them or pull a hidden city DCA-MSP-CHI...hubs suck). They had good service, decent food, and we had a good crowd up in F.
Old Oct 4, 17, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by apodo77 View Post
Thatís some serious BS in paragraph one.
Couldnt agree more with your last paragraph and think it goes for all US Airlines.
Maybe international ones also. Never been a member.
What exactly is BS in my first paragraph? You don't think that if Delta has your name and a date you flew they can't figure out the origin of a ticket issued? It was under a corporate contract so it shows up. I am surprised you were so quick to call someone a liar.
Old Oct 4, 17, 1:17 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by pvn View Post
I don't see why anyone who doesn't need the MQM boost or waiver would ever consider getting one. The only benefit for someone like that is the tiebreaker for domestic upgrades with the reserve, but it's like the 7th or 8th tiebreaker so it probably only comes into play very rarely.
1. Pay With Miles. Puts a 1c/mile floor on Skymiles value, plus those trips generate MQM.
2. 2-for-1 coupon - had the card for 5-6 years, have never not used that coupon to save more than the annual fee.
Old Oct 4, 17, 1:22 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by Los_Pepes View Post
What exactly is BS in my first paragraph? You don't think that if Delta has your name and a date you flew they can't figure out the origin of a ticket issued? It was under a corporate contract so it shows up. I am surprised you were so quick to call someone a liar.
I interpreted his comment as saying that Delta's behavior was BS, e.g. unacceptable/inappropriate, not that your story was BS.
Old Oct 4, 17, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by cestmoi123 View Post
I interpreted his comment as saying that Delta's behavior was BS, e.g. unacceptable/inappropriate, not that your story was BS.
Makes sense. I misread it and apologize for snapping.
Old Oct 4, 17, 9:33 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
I was saying that's some serious BS Delta did that to you. I'd be pissed if it were me.
Wasn't calling you a liar at all.
Old Oct 4, 17, 9:35 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Makes sense. I misread it and apologize for snapping.
No need to apologize. I didn't make my point clear which was that is total BS Delta did that to you.
Crazy story and don't blame you for being upset.
Old Oct 5, 17, 3:18 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by GatorBlues View Post
Who says you have to go to another airline? I plan to ignore status and purchase every flight based on price and/or schedule. I've bought Delta tickets countless times over the years when Delta wasn't the cheapest. I might keep doing that next year, my last as a Diamond (at least until my regional upgrade certs run out), but I will not spend one extra penny for a Delta flight in 2019. I'll still fly Delta if its cheaper (ha!) or if it has a more favorable schedule worth paying extra to get.

I'll also take my $120,000+ in Amex spend and move most of it, if not all of it, to Chase. I won't need so many bonus MQMs any longer. I used to fly at a Platinum pace and top off to Diamond. Now that I'm stuck at Platinum, the bonus MQMs are worthless. I'll cancel one reserve card, downgrade the other to Platinum Skymiles Amex, and put barely more than $25,000 on the Plat SM card. (I don't usually need the waiver for Platinum in many years, but better safe than sorry.)

This is business for us just like it is for Delta. When Delta changed the incentives, I don't think it contemplated what would happen to the newly demoted frequent flyers. It appears Delta just assumed that we would take the downgrade without any repercussions. Instead, many of us are going to price shop, and Delta will not see nearly as many purchases from us.

In short, I may not be the most profitable Diamond by spending about $10K on domestic tickets and putting over $120K on my Delta cards. But I have been profitable. Going forward, I'll be much less profitable for Delta and start adding some profit to other air lines.
DL SURELY contemplated movement of demoted flyers. It's an airline, not a lover. With the oligopoly in the US airline market, they don't have to care about someone nut cutting it. AA and UA have no top tier waiver either. You are living in the past. A past when airlines weren't running at 85%+ load factors. The low rev ff gamer doesn't matter anymore.
Old Oct 5, 17, 7:12 am

Originally Posted by bubbashow View Post
DL SURELY contemplated movement of demoted flyers. It's an airline, not a lover. With the oligopoly in the US airline market, they don't have to care about someone nut cutting it. AA and UA have no top tier waiver either. You are living in the past. A past when airlines weren't running at 85%+ load factors. The low rev ff gamer doesn't matter anymore.
I guess you missed the part where I specifically said it's a business. But you just can't help yourself from making misguided and childish assertions that those who are going to change their travel patterns are somehow pining for the airline like it's a "lover." To the contrary, the prior business incentives were enough to convince me to fly Delta and pay a premium to do so. The new incentives are insufficient for me to do so. So I'll shop based on price and schedule, drop my Amex card spending dramatically, and Delta will receive less profit from me. Maybe it makes it up elsewhere, maybe not.
Old Oct 5, 17, 7:59 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by GatorBlues View Post
I guess you missed the part where I specifically said it's a business. But you just can't help yourself from making misguided and childish assertions that those who are going to change their travel patterns are somehow pining for the airline like it's a "lover." To the contrary, the prior business incentives were enough to convince me to fly Delta and pay a premium to do so. The new incentives are insufficient for me to do so. So I'll shop based on price and schedule, drop my Amex card spending dramatically, and Delta will receive less profit from me. Maybe it makes it up elsewhere, maybe not.
Opening up your free-upgrade seat to a paid upgrade will surely be good for DL. Opening up your seat in Y to somebody paying the same (plus seat assignment fees, plus early boarding fees, plus baggage fees) shows that MAYBE DL WANTS low-rev "elites" to go elsewhere.
Old Oct 5, 17, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by bubbashow View Post
Opening up your free-upgrade seat to a paid upgrade will surely be good for DL. Opening up your seat in Y to somebody paying the same (plus seat assignment fees, plus early boarding fees, plus baggage fees) shows that MAYBE DL WANTS low-rev "elites" to go elsewhere.
You assume too much. I'm not low rev on a per flight basis. I just don't fly often enough to make Diamond. I'm sure Delta would prefer that I take more flights, not less. The airline has encouraged me to fly with them less through this program change. Perhaps others will spend more as a result of the change and this will offset those, like me, who will spend less.

If no status flyers are always more profitable, as you posit, then Delta should just ditch the entire medallion program.

Out of Atlanta, the free upgrade list is always long enough to fill the slots at the gate, and upgrades in advance at the Diamond window are exceedingly rare. Whether the soon to be former Diamonds are high or low on the gate upgrade list is irrelevant to whether free upgrades get handed out in the first place.

Search this Thread