Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Int値 flight loaded with couriers? GUA-ATL

Int値 flight loaded with couriers? GUA-ATL

Old Oct 14, 17, 2:55 pm

Wow. Weird business model. Its not apparent to me, but obviously its profitable.

Quick back of the envelope calculation indicates that the courier company paid somewhere around $50,000 for tickets alone. (assuming $1,000 per RT x 50 couriers). Plus wages of about another $50,000 (rounding $9.50 to $10/lb * 100lbs/courier x 50).

It costs approximately $100,000 to ship 5,000lbs of stuff from Guatemala to various destinations in the US, at a rate of about $20/lb in this business. Can the courier company charge, say around $25/lb of their customers to make a bit of a profit?

Wouldn't it be easier to UPS/FedEx the stuff or heck, charter an old DC9? Any logistics experts here care to opine?

Unless, of course they mark up the liquor or whatever goods they are shipping, and sell here in the US, but still doesn't make sense.
Old Oct 14, 17, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by zeebanker View Post
Plus wages of about another $50,000
Many, MANY years ago, I looked into trying courier travel. You didn't get paid. You got a ticket, period. You weren't allowed to check ANY luggage, as they used ALL of that space. It was simply a way to get to see the world for free! I never did actually do it, though.

With 50 couriers on a single flight, this might be something totally different. I seem to remember seeing ads in the NYT travel section. Surely, some online searches would turn up some courier services that do this.
Old Oct 15, 17, 7:42 pm

10kg for $470 with FedEx. No wonder the couriers do so well!
Attached Images  
Old Oct 15, 17, 8:08 pm

Programs: DL DM(segs)/MM, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by airmotive View Post
I致e no idea what was in the denim bags, other than whatever it was, it was clearly more important than any passenger luggage...including 菟riority tagged luggage.
Too many assumptions here. A) How do you know those weren't the inbound bags, or the wrong bags someone accidentally loaded on the flight (and then removed), B) How do you know they didn't just move the bags to another pit (which occasionally happens for CG reasons). C) Did you see many people who didn't get their checked luggage? D) How do you know these peeps were couriers? Hearsay from some lady doesn't qualify. Could just have easily been soccer or sports teams headed home.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: