ATL ground stop

Old Sep 29, 17, 4:09 pm

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/local/atla...lity/616878395
Old Sep 29, 17, 6:46 pm

Programs: AA, DAL, blah, blah, blah...The usual.
I don't know if it's related, but I was surprised to see security armed with M-16's with magazines loaded in international arrivals this afternoon.
Nobody seemed overly tense or anxious. I had never seen automatic weapons in ATL before though.
Old Sep 29, 17, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Possibly related to...?

http://www.11alive.com/money/more-th...-off/479294193
Old Sep 29, 17, 9:06 pm

Programs: DL PM as of 12/8/2016
Originally Posted by airmotive View Post
I don't know if it's related, but I was surprised to see security armed with M-16's with magazines loaded in international arrivals this afternoon.
Nobody seemed overly tense or anxious. I had never seen automatic weapons in ATL before though.
Really? It's pretty common in NYC. JFK especially. Really don't pay much attention anymore because of the frequency.
Old Sep 29, 17, 10:30 pm

Programs: DL DM & 5MM, WN A List
I saw two military fighter jets fly very low near the west side of Hartsfield somewhat after 5 PM this afternoon, heading from southwest to northeast. They crossed Camp Creek Parkway within a mile of the runways. This must have delayed airline operations.

A ceremony at the Delta GO or at Fort McPherson ?
Old Sep 29, 17, 11:11 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles KM, Sky Club/Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter View Post
Nope, most of them will be re-hired as DGS employees with flight benefits (and a much better benefit package than what they have now with Airserv/ABM).

Originally Posted by Justin026 View Post
I saw two military fighter jets fly very low near the west side of Hartsfield somewhat after 5 PM this afternoon, heading from southwest to northeast. They crossed Camp Creek Parkway within a mile of the runways. This must have delayed airline operations.

There was no ceremony at the GO today
Old Sep 30, 17, 5:00 am

I saw them parked on the ramp over next to the private jet ramp. F-18s I believe (it was pretty dark....perhaps 15s).
Old Sep 30, 17, 10:20 am

Programs: Last on board, if I'm lucky
Originally Posted by Fly_Delta_Jets View Post
Nope, most of them will be re-hired as DGS employees with flight benefits (and a much better benefit package than what they have now with Airserv/ABM).
Well, that would certainly be a welcome reversal from the way they've treated contractors.
Better late than never.
Old Sep 30, 17, 10:44 am

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Are you sure they were automatic?

There are few people outside of combat veterans who can tell the difference at a distance.

I am not saying you aren't one of them, just wondering if you are??
Old Sep 30, 17, 11:46 am

Programs: Delta Plat
With the military jets, could it just have been Tom Price flying home after quitting?: -)
Old Sep 30, 17, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by Hipplewm View Post
Are you sure they were automatic?

There are few people outside of combat veterans who can tell the difference at a distance.

I am not saying you aren't one of them, just wondering if you are??
Meh...I wasn’t close enough to see if the safety was a three-position lever or two.
Given FT’s demographics, I went with the most recognized label.
Other forums I frequent would have been up my backside for not specifying barrel length and twist rate. :-)
Old Sep 30, 17, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Meh...I wasn’t close enough to see if the safety was a three-position lever or two.
Other forums I frequent would have been up my backside for not specifying barrel length and twist rate. :-)
Wait a bit. This thread is not done yet.
Old Sep 30, 17, 12:29 pm

Programs: Atlanta's hometown airline. A bunch of hotel programs. PetSmart PetPerks.

Just a guess but I’m told when such jets come in for sporting event flyovers they often come a day or two early. The Falcons have their first daytime home game in their new stadium tomorrow. I guess we’ll see if that’s it.

Also told they don’t get in the regular flight path, they fly in low as you observed. In other words they aren’t lining up in the queue miles out. So no, it doesn’t really mess up operations...except for when they’re taking back off & everybody stops to watch. In fact when I asked my Delta person about this he said oh yeah, all of a sudden they showed up yesterday and we were all thinking, where’d they come from?
Traveller likes this.
Old Sep 30, 17, 6:24 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Well, as ex-military, and one who dealt with full auto for many years, and now wades thru the literally reams of regulations for them currently. I would be surprised if they are full auto, although it is possible.

Even most civilian Nuclear power plants aren't guarded by full auto, they are all semi, even though a ton of them use suppressors due to local noise ordinances putting a lid on their "training"

In addition to the 3rd position on the selector, there is a second pin located directly above the selector that holds the auto sear, which is a lot of times easier to see as it may be discolored from the color of the frame.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: