Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

OK flights operated by SmartWings earn SkyMiles?

Old Sep 29, 17, 2:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NW Gold->CO->UA->DL PM

Do the OK flights operated by CSA in the SkyTeam timetable earn credit? Or does this fall under "Mileage credit is not applicable to a SkyTeam-marketed flight operated by another airline." (There seems to be a lack of clarity on previous threads).

TIA, Ken
Old Sep 29, 17, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kthomas View Post
Do the OK flights operated by CSA in the SkyTeam timetable earn credit? Or does this fall under "Mileage credit is not applicable to a SkyTeam-marketed flight operated by another airline." (There seems to be a lack of clarity on previous threads).

TIA, Ken
OK is CSA. Confused by question.
Old Sep 30, 17, 4:11 am
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
OK is CSA. Confused by question.
Pretty sure that OP actually means QS(Smartwings) marketed flights that are operated by OK (see title). QS is not a Skyteam partner and the DL website seems pretty clear that one is not entitled to earnings on flights that are not marketed by a Skyteam partner unless otherwise noted and there is nothing noted for QS.

"Unless otherwise noted, mileage credit is only applicable to SkyTeam-marketed flights operated by a SkyTeam member airline. "
Old Sep 30, 17, 2:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LBJ View Post
Pretty sure that OP actually means QS(Smartwings) marketed flights that are operated by OK (see title). QS is not a Skyteam partner and the DL website seems pretty clear that one is not entitled to earnings on flights that are not marketed by a Skyteam partner unless otherwise noted and there is nothing noted for QS.

"Unless otherwise noted, mileage credit is only applicable to SkyTeam-marketed flights operated by a SkyTeam member airline. "
Sorry, thought I'd linked the global timetable:
https://services.skyteam.com/Timetab..._Timetable.pdf

I mean QS flights marketed as OK. Threads over on the Czech Airlines forum are ambiguous, and although Delta's language seems unambigious, there is often a difference between what is published on the website and what actually happens.
Old Sep 30, 17, 3:18 pm
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kthomas View Post
Sorry, thought I'd linked the global timetable:
https://services.skyteam.com/Timetab..._Timetable.pdf

I mean QS flights marketed as OK. Threads over on the Czech Airlines forum are ambiguous, and although Delta's language seems unambigious, there is often a difference between what is published on the website and what actually happens.
I don't see anything ambiguious on the DL website. Skyteam marketed flights that are not operated by a Skyteam partner are not eligible for earnings. You can find this statement in multiple places on the website.
Old Sep 30, 17, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

I don't see anything ambiguious on the DL website. Skyteam marketed flights that are not operated by a Skyteam partner are not eligible for earnings. You can find this statement in multiple places on the website.
Well... indeed there's nothing unambiguous in the language published on the Delta website, other than the fact that Delta has said that the language on the website is not final nor necessarily a guarantee of anything .

Two-year-old threads over on the OK forum here on FlyerTalk claim that somewhere deep in the T&C of OK, flights from Tel Aviv and Barcelona count somehow ... etc etc... but may be confusing lounge access terms.

In this case, not really caring whether 750 or so miles are credited or not (versus +5h on AF and +1500 SkyMilies), I'll probably just "try it and see."
Old Sep 30, 17, 6:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
However, all Delta Connections operated flights, which are necessarily marketed by DL but rather than the RJ carrier (but I suspect that SkyTeam partner codeshares are also possible) do all credit as DL flights.
Old Sep 30, 17, 7:09 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Platinum 100, National Executive Elite
Also AF coded Hop! flights post just fine, so not sure on this one
Old Sep 30, 17, 7:19 pm
LBJ
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by suvayanr View Post
Also AF coded Hop! flights post just fine, so not sure on this one
Hop! is a regional affiliate of AF (just as KLM CityHopper is a regional affiliate of KL). Totally different situation. There was just a recent report of someone flying KL-coded MH flights and they didn't earn Skymiles. MH is partner of KL and thus these would have counted towards the Flying Blue program. But because they are not Skyteam members, they don't count towards Skymiles. There is no transitive property for mileage earning. Smartwings is not a regional affiliate of OK and is not a Skyteam member. Just because their flights may count towards the OK Plus program does not mean they will count towards Skymiles.
Old Sep 30, 17, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
However, all Delta Connections operated flights, which are necessarily marketed by DL but rather than the RJ carrier (but I suspect that SkyTeam partner codeshares are also possible) do all credit as DL flights.
Confusing two types of codeshares.

1)the normal - airline places it's code on OALs flight. DL1015 is really AF flight 7
2)the other - OAL operates a flight in behalf of an airline. (DL connection is part of DL) Say Dl5722 between LAX/SAT. Operated by Compass (usually) on behalf of DL. Compass doesn't sell flights of its own.

The difference between one and two is why some Cityjet flights can be booked as awards and some can't. It must be #2 to book the Cityjet flight as a DL award.
Old Sep 30, 17, 9:34 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, NEXUS/GE, CLEAR, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO View Post
Confusing two types of codeshares.

1)the normal - airline places it's code on OALs flight. DL1015 is really AF flight 7
2)the other - OAL operates a flight in behalf of an airline. (DL connection is part of DL) Say Dl5722 between LAX/SAT. Operated by Compass (usually) on behalf of DL. Compass doesn't sell flights of its own.

The difference between one and two is why some Cityjet flights can be booked as awards and some can't.
Yup. In the contract case (2, above) the flight is "DL5722 operated by Compass" and not "Compass 715, also Delta 5722". That's why I got MQM credit for AF DUB-CDG a couple years ago, even though CityJet had already been sold and left SkyTeam; it was, except for operational details, an Air France flight. So much so that WX couldn't check me in until they opened the AF checkin desk....
Old Oct 1, 17, 5:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The problem is that 1) versus 2) isn't made clear when the ticket is purchased. In fact, the itinerary on delta.dumb just has the operated by footnote. To distinguish, one would need an awful lot of information about the operations and business practices of each carrier.
Old Oct 1, 17, 9:55 am
Original Poster

Just because their flights may count towards the OK Plus program does not mean they will count towards Skymiles.
Doesn't look like most of them count towards OK+ at this point, either... which is revealed at the end of the booking process on OK's site.
Old Oct 1, 17, 10:14 am

I've never seen smartwings operated flights post to my account.
kthomas likes this.
Old Oct 1, 17, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by motytrah View Post
I've never seen smartwings operated flights post to my account.
Thanks. Any other benefits? Does the lounge benefit still work (out of TLV?)?

Search this Thread
Search Engine: