Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Charity speech at delta gate

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2017, 10:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
These efforts are well-intentioned but can backfire against both the charity and the solicitor, e.g. DL. There are many generous people who give far more to charity than they can afford and do so anonymously and on a principled basis.

People at a DL gate are not there as casual passersby and they have to pay attention to announcements. There is also a real value to using the PA for what it really is required for and not for what it isn't.

Many people are turned off by agressive solicitations such as this and the net impact can be that the instant cookie jar gets filled, but the long-term one goes empty.

This is a different issue from highlighting an effort via a lapel pin, a colored cocktail along with a very (stress "very") brief announcement.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by jonsg
I have a lot of sympathy with those who object to the emotional manipulation, moral obligation and peer pressure that this approach uses.

I also have a real problem with contributing to corporate charity drives. They're there primarily to make the company look good. If Delta feels that that is a particularly worthwhile charity, then it should contribute its own cash, instead of pressuring pax to do so on its behalf.
I am very much in agreement.

I am put off by "look how compassionate we are" corporate publicity/marketing/charity initiatives.

Perhaps this stems from my time in corporate American where the annual United Way drive was handled as a coercive "you should do this if you are concerned with your career advancement" program. [I actually had company solicitors show up at my desk with a graph linking current salary to expected contribution.]

I have, and take advantage of, enough opportunities to make charitable contributions from home.

I don't need additional opportunities on the plane or in the airport where, as others have suggested, peer pressure is intended to be part of the motivation.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
I am put off by "look how compassionate we are" corporate publicity/marketing/charity initiatives.

Perhaps this stems from my time in corporate American where the annual United Way drive was handled as a coercive "you should do this if you are concerned with your career advancement" program.
After seeing the vast opulent marble-and-gilt corporate cathedral that served as United Way HQ outside Washington DC, I never sent them another dollar. Donor dollars built that thing.
KevinDTW likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2017, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Had this happen on a JFK-SAT flight. Plane was half fuil with soldiers heading for pre-deployment training. Passenger (not part of the group) got FA to allow him to make announcement asking we pass a hat and collect funds so they could gave some fun.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 5:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Had this happen on a JFK-SAT flight. Plane was half fuil with soldiers heading for pre-deployment training. Passenger (not part of the group) got FA to allow him to make announcement asking we pass a hat and collect funds so they could gave some fun.
That was inappropriate and the FA should never have allowed it. I hope this was reported to DL.
mridley2, KevinDTW and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 9:30 am

Programs: Delta DM for now
Originally Posted by flyerCO
I can't believe the FA allowed that. Totally inappropriate use of the planes PA system.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 10:36 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
That was inappropriate and the FA should never have allowed it. I hope this was reported to DL.
Agreed. That individual pax could have done whatever they wanted, and, additionally, the FA could have discreetly given the soldiers bottles of wine from F or something like that as a nice gesture.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 10:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Agreed. That individual pax could have done whatever they wanted, and, additionally, the FA could have discreetly given the soldiers bottles of wine from F or something like that as a nice gesture.
I would hope that any gifting of wine doesn't come at the expense of FC passengers. I've been on several DL flights recently where the FAs ran out of wine in FC or D1.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 10:46 am

I would hope that any gifting of wine doesn't come at the expense of FC passengers. I've been on several DL flights recently where the FAs ran out of wine in FC or D1.
I have had an FA give me a bottle of wine to take from the plane once before, and it was done just prior to landing, after all onboard service was discontinued. This was done because the FA and I had a mutual friend and my friend asked the FA to "look out for me." It was nice.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 6:01 pm

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Same here, gifts were only given once the service discontinued and the crew started preparing for landing.
Proost!

Old Oct 1, 2017, 6:28 pm

I love the use of the amenity kit supplies to make a wine carrier! Fab!
Old Oct 1, 2017, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
I thought about, but the whole thing with soliders made me a bit worried about complaning. I didn't want some idiot at DL CS decide to mark my file as a trouble maker because they've got family deployed. Luckily didn't need to as during flight passenger next to me said he was going to. He even had recorded the passenger's announcement.
Old Oct 1, 2017, 8:56 pm

It also could be the employees that are being manipulated in that their, or their supervisors' bonuses are tied to how much funds they raise. I have seen this in a very large organization - dont know about Delta but it does raise a red flag for me.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 4:43 pm
BJM

Programs: UA
There are benefits for the charity too, not just Delta.
Why is it inappropriate?
What is the harm, really? Really?
Several of the comments talk about, and I will paraphrase, " being made to feel guilty."
The only one making You feel guilty is You.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 4:44 pm
BJM

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by cruiser9999
It also could be the employees that are being manipulated in that their, or their supervisors' bonuses are tied to how much funds they raise. I have seen this in a very large organization - dont know about Delta but it does raise a red flag for me.
I think not.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.