FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Upgrade priority (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1869373-upgrade-priority.html)

techie Sep 28, 2017 4:30 pm

Upgrade priority

As a DL Gold, if I was avoid requesting upgrades for a while -- with short flights, exit rows in the main cabin are good enough -- would that increase my chances of an upgrade when I DO request one (for longer flights, for example)?

P.S. Tried to search for a suitable thread, but have not found one.

UpgradeMe Sep 28, 2017 4:34 pm

No .

techie Sep 29, 2017 7:20 am

Great, I will be requesting them every time then, since it's not a pool of non-requests to draw down from.

stencil Sep 29, 2017 7:23 am

I like the idea of upgrade karma lol

davetravels Sep 29, 2017 7:25 am

Originally Posted by techie (Post 28871127)
As a DL Gold, if I was avoid requesting upgrades for a while -- with short flights, exit rows in the main cabin are good enough -- would that increase my chances of an upgrade when I DO request one (for longer flights, for example)?

Just curious to know what ever gave you this idea? :confused:

:)

techie Sep 29, 2017 9:34 am

Originally Posted by davetravels (Post 28873117)
Just curious to know what ever gave you this idea? :confused:

:)

My unfortunate naivety probably :D

Joking aside, declining a certain benefit to build up a pool of goodwill to make use of at a later point in time makes sense to me. Amazon, for example, give you a few bucks for your pantry shopping if you don't use their rush delivery while a Prime member.

Instead of upgrading an existing customer from M or M+, Delta could sell that F seat instead and benefit financially. However, on longer routes, I could then cash in that chip to benefit when it fits me best. Getting that upgrade on ATL-SFO is a lot more valuable than ATL-BNA ;)

Zorak Sep 29, 2017 10:08 am

Originally Posted by techie (Post 28873659)
My unfortunate naivety probably :D

Joking aside, declining a certain benefit to build up a pool of goodwill to make use of at a later point in time makes sense to me. Amazon, for example, give you a few bucks for your pantry shopping if you don't use their rush delivery while a Prime member.

Amazon is explicit about it though. DL is also explicit about upgrade priority and it says nothing about building up credit.

In a way the AA system for non-EXPs is similar in that you have to build up a certain number of credits/"stickers" to be able to receive the upgrade but they still have a priority ordering they follow independent of the stickers (which are just a form of payment).

indufan Sep 29, 2017 10:21 am

Originally Posted by techie (Post 28873659)
Getting that upgrade on ATL-SFO is a lot more valuable than ATL-BNA ;)

As it would be for every single person that travels on Delta. Back in the 800 and later 500 mile upgrade certificate, silvers kind of rationed their upgrades but basically Golds would have enough to do whatever and Platinum was unlimited.

techie Sep 29, 2017 10:27 am

Originally Posted by indufan (Post 28873920)
As it would be for every single person that travels on Delta. Back in the 800 and later 500 mile upgrade certificate, silvers kind of rationed their upgrades but basically Golds would have enough to do whatever and Platinum was unlimited.

Right, but there is no way for me to swing the pendulum my way through declining upgrades on shorter hops to cash in the chip on longer legs. The only thing I can do is to keep flying Delta to earn higher status and hope for some luck.

pvn Sep 29, 2017 10:38 am

Originally Posted by techie (Post 28873942)
Right, but there is no way for me to swing the pendulum my way through declining upgrades on shorter hops to cash in the chip on longer legs. The only thing I can do is to keep flying Delta to earn higher status and hope for some luck.

But everyone else would want to do the same thing. There's still only a finite number of seats in F.

techie Sep 29, 2017 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by pvn (Post 28874000)
But everyone else would want to do the same thing. There's still only a finite number of seats in F.

For sure, but not everyone's flying pattern is the same. To some people a seat in F on a 1-2 hour flight is a god's send and they would rather spend it on that. To some, they'd rather be higher up the foodchain for that leg to Hawaii or the East/West coast.

CKDGM Sep 29, 2017 2:02 pm

Originally Posted by indufan (Post 28873920)
Back in the 800 and later 500 mile upgrade certificate, silvers kind of rationed their upgrades but basically Golds would have enough to do whatever and Platinum was unlimited.

I remember those (didn't they date back to the days when it was either Medallion or Royal Medallion?). Since you could buy extra segment upgrade coupons, I didn't ration them too closely and would generally get pretty good use out of the 800mi SMUs. (BOS-CVG was one of my favorite ways to use them; IIRC, it's 752 miles....)

indufan Sep 29, 2017 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by CKDGM (Post 28874873)
I remember those (didn't they date back to the days when it was either Medallion or Royal Medallion?). Since you could buy extra segment upgrade coupons, I didn't ration them too closely and would generally get pretty good use out of the 800mi SMUs. (BOS-CVG was one of my favorite ways to use them; IIRC, it's 752 miles....)

The ability to buy them predates me. I did ration them as a silver but I quickly moved to gold and when I moved to platinum, I had 60 or 70 of them in the bank so there was basically no rationing required at gold. Of course, the dreaded L fare wasn't upgradeable.

davetravels Sep 29, 2017 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by CKDGM (Post 28874873)

I haven't actually checked, but I'm willing to bet that, since way back then, BOS has moved a little bit closer to CVG.

;)

Psyduck1 Sep 29, 2017 3:26 pm

Another upgrade priority question:

There is someone ahead of me on FC upgrade list, yet they are on the C+ upgrade list while I cleared C+ upon ticketing. I'm assuming they booked after C+ upgrades were restricted to the the gate, but could this be a DM with a late ticket? Or a PM with a late ticket, and they're ahead of me because of reserve card or fare class? The first thought was that anyone ahead of me on FC upgrade list should have cleared C+ already.