Preemptive $200 voucher for oversell

Old Sep 28, 17, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Preemptive $200 voucher for oversell

I was booked for SEA-SLC-MCO next week.

I got a call a couple days ago, saying that SLC-MCO was oversold, and would I be willing to take a $200 voucher or 20,000 miles to be switched to SEA-ATL-MCO (leaving 15 minutes later and arriving 30 minutes later, by memory).
So I said "Yes!" (although now I am thinking maybe I should have taken the 20K, but I am status-free).

Is this type of preemptive voucher very common?
MikeyZBT likes this.
Old Sep 28, 17, 3:14 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1MM, UX Suma Gold, Marriott Bonvoy™️ Gold, Hilton Gold, Avis Preferred, Hertz PC
Not particularly common, but it definitely happens from time to time! Usually is a result of an aircraft downgauge, because otherwise the revenue management systems prevent overselling flights to this degree.

If you ever receive a mysterious inbound call from a Singapore number and are interested in opportunities like this one, it behooves you to pick up - much of this rebooking is handled by the call center located there in my experience.
Old Sep 28, 17, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by WillTravel View Post
I was booked for SEA-SLC-MCO next week.

I got a call a couple days ago, saying that SLC-MCO was oversold, and would I be willing to take a $200 voucher or 20,000 miles to be switched to SEA-ATL-MCO (leaving 15 minutes later and arriving 30 minutes later, by memory).
So I said "Yes!" (although now I am thinking maybe I should have taken the 20K, but I am status-free).

Is this type of preemptive voucher very common?
Very rare. Usually only done when
1) there's a last minute downgauge in equipment.
2) if RM realized there's some event they didn't take into consideration and flight is likely very overbooked or
3)there's crew/plane scheduling issues.

Should've ask for F on SEA-ATL-MCO instead or asked to be put on SEA-MCO nonstop.
Old Sep 28, 17, 3:42 pm

Programs: DL Diam 2MM (2.3), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
I've had it happen a few times -- sometimes with the add-on that flyerCO notes -- on the waitlist for the upgrade on the originally booked flight -- upgrade cleared on the rescheduled offer.
In fact I have a voucher to use by mid-Dec for the last such offer.
Old Sep 28, 17, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Has anyone who's been in this situation been able to negotiate a higher dollar amount voucher during the phone call?
Old Sep 28, 17, 6:46 pm

Programs: DL DM, MM; Marriott Plat
Last May I got one and did not try to negotiate. Took the 20k miles figuring that is almost one RT ticket and most RT tickets from my home airport are $500 and up so the miles were the better deal. YMMV. Having about $4000 in VDB vouchers in hand also influenced which way to go.
Old Sep 28, 17, 7:01 pm

Two years ago my family of 5 accepted $200 each in advance of a 30+ oversell according to the agent. She left a vmail message and she was surprised that I called back to accept. She said virtually no one accepted the offer. It was for the Monday morning after the NBA Sunday all star game which RM failed to consider. I did not try to negotiate the amount higher.
Old Sep 28, 17, 7:18 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
I had one on a flight they said was oversold in first class. I wasn't offered any miles, just $200 per person to leave on a flight that left significantly earlier in the day. I declined the offer.
Old Sep 29, 17, 1:53 am

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
I got one a number of years ago for an award flight that I bought for my nephew. It was a day before and they asked if he could leave a few hours earlier. The voucher was transferable so he got home a few hours early and I got $200. Win-win

Search this Thread
Search Engine: