Strange call from American express

Old Sep 28, 17, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, MM
Strange call from American express

Last night I got a call supposedly from American Express asking why I have not used my Delta AmEx card for a while. Offered me 12,500 miles if I agreed to start using it again, and "enrolled" in the offer. Told me no catch, no minimum spend or use, but I had to agree to enroll. I asked him to email me the details as I do not believe they will just give out the miles if I use the card. The guy said there is nothing to email, I just have to agree to "enroll" and they will give me the miles. I am too skeptical and turned it down. Anyone else get such a call?
Old Sep 28, 17, 12:51 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
This sounds like a phishing attempt.
I have read about cases where someone on phone prompts you to say yes or agree to one thing and then apply it in totally different context with a recording of you agreeing to 'something' that you never intended in the first place.

I doubt if Amex will be so liberal with delta miles... what if - if this is legit - someone agrees and gets the bonus miles but then stops using the card again..
Old Sep 28, 17, 1:09 pm

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I would call AMEX directly (number on the back of you card). Either you'll find out it was legitimate or you'll make them aware of an active phishing attempt. Either way I'd say contacting AMEX is important.
Old Sep 28, 17, 1:25 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Do you actually have a DL Amex card that's been inactive? Maybe it was an incentive to have you sign up for the new Blue card...
Old Sep 28, 17, 2:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Never respond to unsolicited phone offers. Call the card issuer, Amex in this case,using a published number from your card or statement.

If it's real, that's great. If it's not, it's a fraud you didn't get suckered for.
ACCDraw likes this.
Old Sep 28, 17, 2:19 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Maybe they are having some worries about people dropping their DL cards in light of the DM waiver change?
Old Sep 28, 17, 2:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by jeet View Post
I doubt if Amex will be so liberal with delta miles... what if - if this is legit - someone agrees and gets the bonus miles but then stops using the card again..
I think Amex has a surprisingly high amount of leverage with DL items. Years ago they screwed up my card and it kept getting rejected randomly in "high fraud areas" come to find out somebody stupidly checked a box for this card on their system and was supposed to send me a new card but never did so it screwed up stuff.

Told Amex I was tired of getting random rejections and this card was unreliable to me. They refunded my annual fee for the year and offered me either 25,000 miles or another companion certificate on the spot. Took the companion certificate and it was in my account on Delta.com in 24 hours.

Though in my case I called to complain, not receiving a random unsolicited call.
Old Sep 28, 17, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Noir, TR 7*, Marriott Tit, UA Gold
Originally Posted by jeet View Post
I have read about cases where someone on phone prompts you to say yes or agree to one thing and then apply it in totally different context with a recording of you agreeing to 'something' that you never intended in the first place.
I've read a lot of stories of people thinking this is a thing, but does anyone have an example of where someone said "yes" AND it was used to contractually bind them to something different?

http://www.snopes.com/can-you-hear-me-scam/
CPMaverick and rickg523 like this.
Old Oct 2, 17, 1:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM, MM
To follow up, I did call american express and they did not make the call. I had the number from where the call was made and it was not an AmEx number.
aquamarinesteph likes this.
Old Oct 2, 17, 1:35 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat., Marriott Plat., SPG Plat., IHG Spire Elite/Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by FC flyer View Post
To follow up, I did call american express and they did not make the call. I had the number from where the call was made and it was not an AmEx number.
But it sounds like the caller knew that you have an AmEx account! I wonder how?
Old Oct 2, 17, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Confirmed phishing then... caller could even have a database of random number not even knowing if the target has an Amex. Just need to get a few to bite and agree, then provide their name and card info for the 'promo' and its fraud time.
Old Oct 2, 17, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, MR Gold, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I wouldn't be so sure. There are reports of this on the Amex forum as well, including people who received an unsolicited bonus offer call from Amex. Upon calling Amex back, they confirmed it was real. Always good to be cautious on unsolicited calls, but it's also entirely possible one arm of Amex isn't fully apprised of what another arm is doing.
Old Oct 2, 17, 7:57 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by FC flyer View Post
Last night I got a call supposedly from American Express asking why I have not used my Delta AmEx card for a while. Offered me 12,500 miles if I agreed to start using it again, and "enrolled" in the offer. Told me no catch, no minimum spend or use, but I had to agree to enroll. I asked him to email me the details as I do not believe they will just give out the miles if I use the card. The guy said there is nothing to email, I just have to agree to "enroll" and they will give me the miles. I am too skeptical and turned it down. Anyone else get such a call?
Not from Amex, but from Citibank, actually. I have the AA MC, and was offered 1000 Aadvantage miles on each month where I had any activity on the card, for twelve months. I was suspicious, so I said I'd call the number on the back of the card. The man said he understood, and gave me the offer code. I called the number on the back of my card, provided the offer code to the CSR, and I started getting the miles. I've about five months left of this offer.
Old Dec 10, 19, 6:12 pm

Programs: AA Platinum/2m miler, Marriott A and LTT, Delta Diamond, Hertz Presidents, Avis Presidents. +more
Amex Call

The number does seem to be Amex actually.
Old Dec 10, 19, 6:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
HUH? What number is AmEx? OP hasn't posted a phone number AFAICT.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: