Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta CEO talking about the future of Skymiles accrual at Skift Forum

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2017, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM, AS MVPG 100K

The original article appeared in thepointsguy.com: https://thepointsguy.com/2017/09/del...itch-below-31/

The part that got me was the following: “Delta realizes, Bastian said, that with MQDs, MQMs and MQSs — Medallion Qualifying Dollars, Medallion Qualifying Miles and Medallion Qualifying Segments — the loyalty program has become pretty complicated. The CEO said Delta “will get to a point where we simplify the structure” of SkyMiles.””

Is this DL saying they’re going to pure revenue accrual SOON?
Old Sep 27, 2017, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I think it's been clear that is DL's endgame ever since MQDs were introduced. Boil the frog slowly, and all... but I would not be surprised to see the final shift happen by 2019-2020. If it takes any longer than that, I would suspect something in the Amex contract that prevents this, in which case I'd expect it to hit whenever that contract ends.
DiverDave likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 3:20 pm

Programs: DL-Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ithacxa
The original article appeared in thepointsguy.com: https://thepointsguy.com/2017/09/del...itch-below-31/

The part that got me was the following: “Delta realizes, Bastian said, that with MQDs, MQMs and MQSs — Medallion Qualifying Dollars, Medallion Qualifying Miles and Medallion Qualifying Segments — the loyalty program has become pretty complicated. The CEO said Delta “will get to a point where we simplify the structure” of SkyMiles.””

Is this DL saying they’re going to pure revenue accrual SOON?
That may be reading into it a bit, there is no way to tell from what he said, but I would not be surprised. It's pretty close to pure revenue accrual as it is.

Delta wants to reward customers who spend to fly on the airline......“We are going to sell our first class seats.” Domestic first class seats have gone from about 15% to 50%. Any business that gives away its product for free is going to fail, Bastian said — but he made sure to add that he still wants his loyal customers to ride up front sometimes.

That sounds like some things that many have said in the MQD Waiver thread LOL I'm 70% WFBF so I don't mind, I get plenty of utility out of the other elite benefits.

“As long as I’m CEO, Delta Air Lines is not reducing its seat pitch below 31 inches.” Delta is a premium airline and that it offers a premium product, Bastian said

Shots fired (UA, AA) But I tend to agree of US3 no question Delta would be the "Premium"
Old Sep 27, 2017, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Someone should tell Ed to sit in one of his Comfort+ seats on a CRJ and then weigh in on just how premium that product is.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 3:26 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
My favorite part:

What about phone calls? “We are not going to have out-loud telephone conversations on our airline. Not going to happen.”
Ed, did you ever know that you're my hero?
jamiestr likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 3:27 pm

I would guess that a totally Revenue based elite program totally in the cards.

It's very simple, and pretty difficult to game.

If it does happen at least you never again have to worry about connecting backwards and double connecting to get extra MQM's, no more worrying about ORC, and I'm sure some other benefits.

The biggest thing I'd want to know at that point is how Partner flights would be accounted for
Old Sep 27, 2017, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Keith2004
...Delta wants to reward customers who spend to fly on the airline......“We are going to sell our first class seats.” Domestic first class seats have gone from about 15% to 50%. Any business that gives away its product for free is going to fail, Bastian said
straight from the horse ...

Originally Posted by Keith2004
— but he made sure to add that he still wants his loyal customers to ride up front sometimes.
nice touch

I suspect a lot of FTers are going to be spending a lot more time in C+ and exit row seats after the first of the year, and a lot more (of both) a year after that

Originally Posted by kop84
... a totally Revenue based elite program ... how Partner flights would be accounted for
in whatever way benefits DL's bottom line the most
Old Sep 27, 2017, 3:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
AA & UA won't be far behind. The carriers have to dial back the monster they created during the financial crisis, e.g., doling out freebie UG's and, at the same time, do something for HVC's.

Knowing that other carriers will follow suit in short order, it won't hurt DL's brand.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I would guess that a totally Revenue based elite program totally in the cards.

It's very simple, and pretty difficult to game.
It's not difficult at all, really.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 4:55 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by javabytes
It's not difficult at all, really.
The only gamer is delta. You can't game price, only they can. In the current MQS and MQM model I can get the same for a 500 per 700 dollar ticket. Under an MQD only model, I can't. Delta sets their profit margins but I can't game the margin and still get the same MQDs.
Zeeb likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bicostal
The only gamer is delta. You can't game price, only they can. In the current MQS and MQM model I can get the same for a 500 per 700 dollar ticket. Under an MQD only model, I can't. Delta sets their profit margins but I can't game the margin and still get the same MQDs.
Sure you can. Consider the ways where the MQDs you are awarded by Delta are not based on the fare you paid, and I think you'll start to see how.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 5:16 pm

Programs: DL DM MM; Hilton Diamond; Hertz 5*
I think Delta is making some calculated moves by adding a fair number of point-to-point routes. The old hub model worked when the frequent flier program encouraged people to fly through hubs because they wanted the extra miles and would suffer a connection to stick with "their" airline. But with the shifts underway and forthcoming the average customer will no longer tolerate a connection when a non-stop is available for the same price (or lower). I've been watching Delta add non-hub flights from various cities and I think that is in anticipation of passenger push back. For those in popular and growing cities that is all good news. For those in cities that are less popular that spells trouble.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 5:21 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by javabytes
Sure you can. Consider the ways where the MQDs you are awarded by Delta are not based on the fare you paid, and I think you'll start to see how.
Non-006? Give me a break. One fifth base miles means I need to buy a $1000 Y TATL and fly more than 5000 miles? How much gaming is that? Not anywhere near the MQM possibilities where you can double down with the difference of a X versus H fare. That and you give up a who.e lot of other perks not being 006 stock.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 5:56 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Gold
In my opinion, the real value of higher status is not upgrades or "freebies." It's cutting through the red-tape and making my ability to actually fly on an airline easier. Priority re-routing during IROPS, pre-emptive warnings when a flight is cancelled or significantly delayed, no nitpicking on add-on fees (which require getting out a wallet and all that) while talking on the phone for a schedule/route change.

If I've proven that I fly a lot with an airline by actually flying, not charging on CCs, etc., then make my life easier when I continue to fly with you.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 7:30 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
The biggest thing I'd want to know at that point is how Partner flights would be accounted for
Presumably how they are now, with MQD calculated as a % of distance (when not ticketed/marketed by DL).

Originally Posted by Bicostal
Non-006? Give me a break. One fifth base miles means I need to buy a $1000 Y TATL and fly more than 5000 miles? How much gaming is that?
You can do much better with discount premium (W and J) fares, but TBH it's not that much gaming.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.