Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

In-flight Texting/messaging free starting this weekend

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

In-flight Texting/messaging free starting this weekend

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2017, 7:34 pm
C W

Programs: DL PM, AS MVP 75K, HH/SPG/MR Gold, Amex Plat, PRG, CSR
I'm actually a little sad. Normally I hate disconnecting, but planes are the only refuge where I enjoy it. Seems like that's coming to an end. I won't have the will to turn off wifi
Old Oct 1, 2017, 8:07 pm

Programs: DL PM & NRSA, AA Gold, ANA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EC Exec, GE, CLEAR
Originally Posted by CommentatusMaximus
I find Skype to be the broadest available OS agnostic messaging service. Every smartphone, tablet, and PC can run it. Even has a server in China so the Great Firewall doesn't block it either. I'll take it over any other of the more trendy services, it just works.
Are you sure, once you switch to Discord you never go back.

Though really, why not. All they'd need to do is throttle these programs to a speed that'd make voice comms completely unfeasible like <8kbps.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 12:52 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: IHG Spire Elite/Inner Circle, Hilton HHonors Gold, AA Platinum, Delta Gold
As I sit here typing this at 35000 feet above the Mediterranean I ask myself how I've had free internet the entire flight. Ia currently streaming Spotify, browsing the web, posting on forums, etc with absolutely no problems. And no I'm not talking about some VPN hack or anything. I think delta opened the wifi full blown by accident on this JFK-FCO flight. I'm flying delta plus so I'm pretty so no wifi is included. My real curiosity is what will happen on my return non-redeye flight? Will I have free wifi again or will they have "fixed" it? Either way I am loving delta main comfort plus compared to the relic dinosaur planes American Airlines have been using of late....puke.
Old Oct 2, 2017, 12:27 pm

Programs: DL PM & NRSA, AA Gold, ANA Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, National EC Exec, GE, CLEAR
Originally Posted by bimmerfreak0
As I sit here typing this at 35000 feet above the Mediterranean I ask myself how I've had free internet the entire flight. Ia currently streaming Spotify, browsing the web, posting on forums, etc with absolutely no problems. And no I'm not talking about some VPN hack or anything. I think delta opened the wifi full blown by accident on this JFK-FCO flight. I'm flying delta plus so I'm pretty so no wifi is included. My real curiosity is what will happen on my return non-redeye flight? Will I have free wifi again or will they have "fixed" it? Either way I am loving delta main comfort plus compared to the relic dinosaur planes American Airlines have been using of late....puke.
Maybe there was a sponsorship deal? Sometimes companies will offer free wifi for a day to gain notoriety. I think VZ did this last year.

Otherwise, are you sure you don't have T-Mobile or something?
Old Oct 2, 2017, 12:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
worked great for me today
Old Oct 3, 2017, 7:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bimmerfreak0
I'm flying to LHR tonight. Was there information with directions on how to get online? Did you need to download an app?

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
worked great for me today
Texting only or free internet access as described above?
Old Oct 3, 2017, 8:27 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Texting only
Old Oct 3, 2017, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
used this the other day and it worked great. much better than paying $2.95 every flight as in the past. i was also able to get google maps to work on my first flight, but not on the 2nd...not sure why.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 8:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Over 8 segments on DL metal since implementation.

You get all your WhatsApp but no voice, photo or video attachments.
I am a keyboard addict so all my BBS emails arrived as well and I was able to reply. However, opening attachments were no possible.

You need to log into this service on the gogo screen, You just need to enter the provided letters.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by tentseller
You need to log into this service on the gogo screen, You just need to enter the provided letters.
So do I stay in airplane mode until there is an announcement that we are at 10,000 feet or something like that?

If so, once I'm off airplane mode, will my iPhone go directly to the gogo screen? Last, where do I find "the provided letters"?

Thanks.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 3:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by Analise
So do I stay in airplane mode until there is an announcement that we are at 10,000 feet or something like that?

If so, once I'm off airplane mode, will my iPhone go directly to the gogo screen? Last, where do I find "the provided letters"?

Thanks.
This was what I did on my BlackBerry PRIV (Andriod)
  • turn on wifi only keeping device in airplane mode
  • Open Brower to airborne.gogoinflight.com (IIRC) (on 4 out of 8 planes there was a crad leaflet in the seat ack detailing the sign in)
  • Pick message Only
  • It will ask you to input five letters on the
  • And away we go
AANYC1981 likes this.
Old Oct 4, 2017, 2:23 am

Page 152 of Sky magazine has the instructions too.

I was able to text and check my email. Otherwise, I could not go online on my flight from JFK to LHR.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Wasted 30 minutes on each of two flights.

No success.

GoGo is batting 1000 for me.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 1:46 pm

Programs: DL DM
Just flew BOS-DTW on an A320, and had free text messaging, but also free email through the iPhone email app. Nothing else on the Internet worked. But I was happily surprised to be able to use email.
Old Oct 6, 2017, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Worked for me this week but only on mainline (767ER and 75D both domestic) - no option for the free text messaging WiFi package on the Delta Connection flights RDU - JFK or DTW - RDU (CR7/CR9). Text messages (Android) and WhatsApp both worked without issue. Also gave me notifications from Instagram / Facebook / Work Email / Gmail but no web browsing or browsing of those apps beyond notification.
Xeno likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.