Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Mileage/status run opportunity out of San Juan

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mileage/status run opportunity out of San Juan

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2017, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by skchin
Yes, go sign up with Red Cross, Samaritan's Purse, and humanitarian aid groups for a day to volunteer. I know Samaritan's Purse takes 1 day volunteers.
Who said mileage runs have to be instant turnaround? Plenty of people spend some time at their MR destination. My employer gives 2 weeks/year off for volunteer work. I often make a trip out of it. If I hadn't already used it this year, and needed a mileage run anyway, I'd certainly consider combining a mileage-run worthy fare to SJU with a week or two of volunteer work.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 7:13 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by davetravels
Are the flights THAT full out of there with people trying to get out, that it would be taking seats away from people who are desperate? Just curious.
It's not just people trying to get out, but also people going there to help.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 7:18 pm

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by KevinSFO
It's so sad to see what has happened to Puerto Rico. San Juan has been my go-to destination for MQM runs for a while now. I can usually find $350-$400 fares from SFO which net me about 8000 MQMs. I have enjoyed spending a day or two on the beach and checking out old San Juan. I had been scheduled to do a run yesterday, but, of course, I canceled.

I hope the island begins to recover soon. I wonder if it would make any sense to schedule a trip in a month or so... Otherwise, I need to find another good destination for an MQM run from SFO.
I think it will be months, if not years. It will be amazing if they manage to get power restored in a month.

Originally Posted by davetravels
Are the flights THAT full out of there with people trying to get out, that it would be taking seats away from people who are desperate? Just curious.
In a word, yes. Much of the island won't have power for months. 80% of their crops were destroyed. It is a developing humanitarian crisis. Harvey may end up being more expensive, but in terms of impact on human lives, Irma was immeasurably worse.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 7:23 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
As far as a mileage run goes, for me, the flights DL.com is offering from ATL/SJU are on a B739. Even if I WANTED to go there, the B739 would be a no-go for me.

If they subbed a B744, like they did in Florida, I'd hafto think about it - - sorry to say.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 7:43 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Using some Moderator discretion. I am locking this thread but not deleting it. Please feel free to read the posts but further commentary is disabled.
Obscure2k
Delta Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.