Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Downgraded after Boarding - No one cares

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Downgraded after Boarding - No one cares

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2017, 11:35 am

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Dick Ginkowski
Judgment call and maybe six of one, half dozen of another. I'd rather have the pax have his or her luggage closer to him so that upon deplaning we don't have people swimming against the current and delaying people who may have tight connections.
It was a 752 and it took forever for everyone to get off before I could go all the way back to the 2nd/last exit row and get my carry-on from the OH bin. But I was going to my final so it was fine.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by SamOF
I understand that, but upgrades prior to the airport are different than upgrades processed off the list. Upgrades off the list are treated as standby passengers--just like you never have a HK segment in your reservation when you're cleared off the standby list (you will have an SB segment with a seat assignment), you never get a HK RU segment when cleared

It's possible that there are multiple ways for GAs to clear the list, and there's one that results in an HK segment that reduces available inventory. But that's not my experience.

To verify this, find a flight on Expertflyer that's departing without 20 mintues or so and has available F inventory. Click through to the seatmap--you'll see it's often full. I just verified this with a DTW-IAD and an MKE-MSP.
When upgraded, your booking class changes to RU. RU is a sub booking class of F. Thus F goes down by one. The seat map depends on how the agent handles the process of assigning seats to those upgraded.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 2:15 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by flyerCO
When upgraded, your booking class changes to RU. RU is a sub booking class of F. Thus F goes down by one. The seat map depends on how the agent handles the process of assigning seats to those upgraded.
No, it doesn't. Just like when you clear standby into Y it doesn't affect Y inventory (which is by definition on those flight for which Y is sold out). It will show whatever your fare class is on your boarding pass for standby, but you still don't have a HK segment in your reservation in that booking class, and that's what causes inventory to deplete.

You can see that flights generally still have F inventory after upgrades are processed. Find any flight with F inventory at T-45, then look at the same flight at T-20. You'll see the same F inventory with no available seats after upgrades are processed.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 5:38 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by kitkat77
I've reached a point of screen capturing upgrade and standby lists if I am on the cusp of an upgrade. My suggestion is to fill out the form on delta dot com and attach any proof you have, as the one time I've had an issue (standby list and fairly obviously non rev upgraded over #1 on upgrade list in a no-show situation, plenty of time before door closing), they personally called and apologized and said they would be disciplining the GA.

Yes, we are not entitled to it, but it's an advertised benefit with semi-transparent policies and lists in place. I would personally like all policies to be clearer, openly published, and more consistently enforced.
I have started doing this as well. I had a flight not that long ago where I was #1 on the UG list for F with 2 open seats. I was sitting in that two seat exit row aisle next to 2R on the 75D so wanted to board or risk having to swim upstream to get my bag. Entire flight boarded and then after about 5 minutes, two (obviously) non-rev passengers I had noticed in the boarding area boarded and went into F.

I had even told the GA before boarding that I was #1 on the UG list but was going to board because I had both a bag and a dinner jacket in a garment bag that I wanted to be sure I could get stored and he said he'd come get me. I was right inside the boarding door so he wouldn't need to look too far. Obviously never happened. The app still showed 2 F seats available as the doors closed.

Honestly it wasn't a big deal and the FA was nice enough to hang my stuff up in the closet and get it for me on landing, I was more confused than anything else. I don't know if maybe it is an IT/app issue, a GA issue (it was ATL) or just some fluke thing but I've been noticing it more and more. Not just Y/C+ to F but Y to C+.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 5:39 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
No, it doesn't. Just like when you clear standby into Y it doesn't affect Y inventory (which is by definition on those flight for which Y is sold out). It will show whatever your fare class is on your boarding pass for standby, but you still don't have a HK segment in your reservation in that booking class, and that's what causes inventory to deplete.

You can see that flights generally still have F inventory after upgrades are processed. Find any flight with F inventory at T-45, then look at the same flight at T-20. You'll see the same F inventory with no available seats after upgrades are processed.
Ever try to buy a ticket at T-20?
Old Sep 27, 2017, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium

The whole premise your coming up with could result in massive overbookings if true.

BTW Just watched a flight. F2, then upgrades cleared and F0.

Last edited by flyerCO; Sep 27, 2017 at 5:50 pm
Old Sep 28, 2017, 8:01 am

Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Honestly it wasn't a big deal and the FA was nice enough to hang my stuff up in the closet and get it for me on landing, I was more confused than anything else. I don't know if maybe it is an IT/app issue, a GA issue (it was ATL) or just some fluke thing but I've been noticing it more and more. Not just Y/C+ to F but Y to C+.
I'm beginning to think there's some IT issue...because this is what happened to me yesterday. UG cleared from Y to C+...I've got the screenshots from my phone to prove it, with a seat assignment. But the boarding pass doesn't update to a C+ seat.

Of course my C+ seat is occupied, and the "system" still shows me in Y, despite all three UG Lists (phone, DL.com, & airport monitor) showing otherwise...so I'm downgraded back to Y.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 5:43 pm

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by lsugolfer
I'm beginning to think there's some IT issue...because this is what happened to me yesterday. UG cleared from Y to C+...I've got the screenshots from my phone to prove it, with a seat assignment. But the boarding pass doesn't update to a C+ seat.

Of course my C+ seat is occupied, and the "system" still shows me in Y, despite all three UG Lists (phone, DL.com, & airport monitor) showing otherwise...so I'm downgraded back to Y.
I'm leaning towards IT issue myself. I've had a few segments where I have opted in for a C+ upgrade, can see C+ availability on the UG list, but the map shows C+ fully blocked out 72 hours out all the way up to when seats lock. The plane will leave showing C+ seats available on the UG list section of the app, and C+ will depart full, but who knows who is actually in those seats.

One of those segments I watched the FA (not GA) specifically track down two people who were clearly DL employees that she knew and move them to opposite C+ aisles after the door was closed. That is the one that really got me frustrated as I was #1 on the C+ UG list. I was doubly frustrated on that one because I was inexplicably booted from my Y exit row aisle 4 or 5 days prior to the flight and the CS agent couldn't get it back for me when I called in. Getting inexplicably booted from a preferred exit aisle picked at purchase has been happening A LOT lately too, 3 times in the last month actually.

At this point, I can't imagine it is anything except an IT issue and maybe the odd FA/GA going rogue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.