FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Best seat on a MD-90 in J Class (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1868251-best-seat-md-90-j-class.html)

Stephan Richard Sep 22, 2017 6:28 am

Best seat on a MD-90 in J Class

I am on a AM flight going from PWM to ATL and the flight is an odd number flight so I assume they have FEBO meal service, For those of you who has been on it what is the best spot to sit in J class? Thanks for your help on this.

KDCAflyer Sep 22, 2017 6:35 am

Originally Posted by Stephan Richard (Post 28845603)
I am on a AM flight going from PWM to ATL and the flight is an odd number flight so I assume they have FEBO meal service, For those of you who has been on it what is the best spot to sit in J class? Thanks for your help on this.

It's not going to be business class. Just standard domestic first class seats and service. They code it as business since the flight number probably continues on as an international flight.

You can expect a standard first class meal within the meal windows (nothing between 2 and 4, nothing after 8). FEBO depends on the whims of whatever crew you get.

In terms of seats, any but the bulkheads are fine.

apodo77 Sep 22, 2017 6:40 am

Don't do the bulkhead.

Your seat will look something like this so don't get too excited:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-l...c/s800/341.jpg

LoganFlyer Sep 22, 2017 6:40 am

There's no real good seat on the MD90 in F, but I agree that the bulkheads are bad. So if it's an even numbered flight, I'd take 2B or 2C; if it's an odd numbered flight, I'd take 3B or 3C. That would maximize the chance of you getting your breakfast choice.

Cory6188 Sep 22, 2017 6:45 am

Do DL F/As really follow FEBO? I can't say I've paid that close attention but I can't remember the last time an F/A didn't just start at the front of the F cabin when taking orders, at least on domestic narrowbodies.

Only exception to that would be in D1, where I've seen some start at the front of one side and go around in a U shape, coming up the back of the other aisle.

LoganFlyer Sep 22, 2017 7:19 am

Originally Posted by Cory6188 (Post 28845649)
Do DL F/As really follow FEBO?

On odd numbered flights I'm on, DL F/As have been following FEBO about 80% of the time.

air1jdg Sep 22, 2017 7:36 am

I just flew DL 2136 (ATL - ELP) and DL 851 (ELP - ATL) and both were MD90 flights with a meal.

The FA crew was the same on each flight (they did an overnight and flew the next flight out the day I left). They did meals from the front on both flights. I had 2A going out and 3A coming back and got my choice. However the poor guys in the 4th row only got what was left over.

jrl767 Sep 22, 2017 7:39 am

Originally Posted by LoganFlyer (Post 28845636)
There's no real good seat on the MD90 ... but I agree that the bulkheads are bad.

this, x1000 (from a MadDog avoider)

Originally Posted by Cory6188 (Post 28845649)
Do DL F/As really follow FEBO? I can't say I've paid that close attention but I can't remember the last time an F/A didn't just start at the front of the F cabin when taking orders, at least on domestic narrowbodies.

LAX-SEA last week the lead FA specifically announced it: "This is an even-numbered flight so I'll be taking dinner and drink orders front to back"

SDQBound Sep 22, 2017 7:41 am

This year I've had FEBO followed 100% of the time, JFK-based crew.

lbcnu Sep 22, 2017 8:00 am

Originally Posted by SDQBound (Post 28845790)

This has not been my experience with JFK crews. On my last D1 transcon a few weeks ago the FA (on an odd # flight) started with 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B etc. and then when the left side of the plane was done she came up the other aisle and started with 1C, 1D etc. Since I was in 5D, guess what I got - leftovers! Otherwise mostly they just start at the front and work their way back, at least on my flights.

3Cforme Sep 22, 2017 8:20 am

Take a DC-9 and stretch it. Give it greater seat pitch in F (NW DC-9-10/30/50 were 34", -50s had 35"). Delta Comfort+ is 34".

http://web.archive.org/web/200310091...50/index.shtml

Give it more powerful, much quieter engines, and longer range. Put AC power in F and Comfort+. Wider seats in coach.
Modern avionics. And watch people complain about it!

Cory6188 Sep 22, 2017 8:23 am

Originally Posted by LoganFlyer (Post 28845742)
On odd numbered flights I'm on, DL F/As have been following FEBO about 80% of the time.

Originally Posted by SDQBound

Originally Posted by air1jdg
I just flew DL 2136 (ATL - ELP) and DL 851 (ELP - ATL) and both were MD90 flights with a meal.

The FA crew was the same on each flight (they did an overnight and flew the next flight out the day I left). They did meals from the front on both flights.

Originally Posted by lbcnu
This has not been my experience with JFK crews. On my last D1 transcon a few weeks ago the FA (on an odd # flight) started with 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B etc. and then when the left side of the plane was done she came up the other aisle and started with 1C, 1D etc.

So in other words, consistently inconsistent. :D

tvtd Sep 22, 2017 9:14 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme (Post 28845916)
Take a DC-9 and stretch it. Give it greater seat pitch in F (NW DC-9-10/30/50 were 34", -50s had 35"). Delta Comfort+ is 34".

Give it more powerful, much quieter engines, and longer range. Put AC power in F and Comfort+. Wider seats in coach.

To each his own. ;)

Adding my two cents, you’re better off the farther forward you can get. 2B/2C is best especially if you’ve got a rollerboard and don’t want to join the gate lice to fight for 1st row OH space. Slightly off-topic, 1st row of C+ In the MDs is arguably better on 1-1.5 hour flights simply because of legroom.

SJC ORD LDR Sep 22, 2017 9:27 am

Originally Posted by tvtd (Post 28846104)
To each his own. ;)

Adding my two cents, you’re better off the farther forward you can get. 2B/2C is best especially if you’ve got a rollerboard and don’t want to join the gate lice to fight for 1st row OH space. Slightly off-topic, 1st row of C+ In the MDs is arguably better on 1-1.5 hour flights simply because of legroom.

PWM - ATL is blocked for approximately 3 hours.

readywhenyouare Sep 22, 2017 9:30 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme (Post 28845916)

I don’t get it either. On the plus side, since it seems so many people hate the MD-88/90 there should be plenty of seats on the retirement flight. I will need to be sedated when that day comes. :(

I don’t know why Delta is retiring the MD-88 so young. The NWA DC-9’s were over 40 years old when they were retired. The majority of MD-88’s are still in their 20’s. Maybe it’s a parts inventory issue.