Rollover miles scenario

Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Delta 1MM, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Rollover miles scenario

Quick question on a rollover miles scenario. My father is a million miler so he has lifetime silver. Doesn't fly that often any more so I gift him Gold from my Diamond choice benefits.

This year it it looks like he'll reach 48,000 miles. Normally this would mean he would rollover 23,000 miles. Will this be the case or will it be different given the scenario above?
Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:28 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
I don't believe gifting or MM have any impact on rollover.

You could be Gold via normal methods, and if you earn 48k MQM you would be silver next year and rollover 23k MQM. The rollover is about the status you are earning for the next year, not the current one.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
If he's GM, he rolls over miles over 50,000. You need to specify the year(s) in question, though. (E.g. I just made DM. If I make someone GM now, it counts through Jan 2019, and they roll over MQMs over 50,000 this year.)
Old Sep 21, 2017, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by sethb
If he's GM, he rolls over miles over 50,000.
No, that is only if you are re-qualifying as GM.

If you are currently GM, but earn 48k MQM this year, then you rollover 23k MQM, and lose your GM status. Unless you get it gifted back again.

The question becomes I guess, do you get that rollover if you are gifted GM before the rollover period. I would say yes, as you rollover anything above the qualifying miles. Not sure if anyone has experience. It would be safest to delay the gifting until after the rollover.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 2:39 am

Rollover Medallion Qualification

Did your dad earn at least 3,000 MQD?

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en...onditions.html

Rollover benefit means MQMs earned in 2017 above a Member’s earned Medallion Tier will roll over to 2018 and count toward 2019 Medallion Status Qualification. Members who do not achieve any Tier of earned Medallion Status through the published requirements are ineligible for rollover MQMs. Members who receive complimentary or gifted Medallion Status are only eligible for rollover MQMs if they also earn at least Silver Medallion Status through the published requirements. Members who successfully complete a Status Match Challenge are also eligible for Rollover MQMs based on their earned Medallion Status.

For example:
If a Member is gifted Gold Medallion status in 2017 and also earns 30,000 MQMs and $3,000 MQDs in 2017, they will be able to roll over 5,000 MQMs since they met the earned Silver Medallion Qualification requirements level.

If a Member is gifted Platinum Medallion Status in 2017 and also earns 22,000 MQMs and $7,000 MQDs in 2016, they will be ineligible for Rollover MQMs since they did not meet the qualification requirements for earned Silver Medallion Status.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 3:17 am

Ah, I forgot about MQD... doesn't apply to me, so I rarely think about it.

So my answer was correct, as long as you also meet the Silver MQD threshold.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.