FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Comfort + to First upgrade (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1867945-comfort-first-upgrade.html)

sup3rj3ww Sep 20, 2017 10:39 am

Comfort + to First upgrade

Hello all,

If I am flying on a paid W ticket do I have a higher chance of a upgrade to F than those who have higher status than me but on main cabin tickets?

I am a Silver Medallion

Thanks

mnbp Sep 20, 2017 11:07 am

Originally Posted by sup3rj3ww (Post 28838700)
Hello all,

If I am flying on a paid W ticket do I have a higher chance of a upgrade to F than those who have higher status than me but on main cabin tickets?

I am a Silver Medallion

Thanks

You should have a higher priority than other Silver Medallions, but GM, PM and DMs will have higher upgrade priority than you.

rylan Sep 20, 2017 11:39 am

Unknown... we don't have the specific priority for how paid W is counted.

C W Sep 20, 2017 11:46 am

Originally Posted by rylan (Post 28838952)

We need two intrepid FlyerTalkers to do an experiment. Both of the same status, DL Reserve, and spend waiver status. They buy tickets with identical underlying Y inventory but one in C+ and one not. Compare where they land on the upgrade list. We can finally know :)

mnbp Sep 20, 2017 11:51 am

Originally Posted by rylan (Post 28838952)

Agreed. However, wouldn't it be true that OP would be behind any GM/PM/DM? I think your point is true within all FOs, how the upgrade-requesting FOs are sequenced. OP was asking about FO vs GM/PM/DM...

pvn Sep 20, 2017 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by sup3rj3ww (Post 28838700)
Hello all,

I am a Silver Medallion

Thanks

No. All golds, platinums, and diamonds will be ahead of you. We don't know exactly how paid W is treated, but medallion level is considered before fare class anyway so it doesn't matter.

msglsmo Sep 21, 2017 6:14 am

Four flights earlier this week: MCI-SLC-OAK and OAK-SLC-MCI. I'm a Silver, with Delta CC and MQD waiver earned. On all four flights, I paid for Comfort Plus on a W fare. For upgrades I was ~18th in line for 1-3 available first class seats.

I should note, I received an offer for a first class upgrade MCI-SLC for only $45 at check in. I didn't take it.

rylan Sep 21, 2017 7:03 am

Yes thats correct they would still be grouped within the silver category. Buying C+ doesn't get you ahead of DM/PM/GM.

MSPeconomist Sep 21, 2017 9:29 am

Originally Posted by mnbp (Post 28838826)
You should have a higher priority than other Silver Medallions, but GM, PM and DMs will have higher upgrade priority than you.

A FO with a FULL Y fare is likely to be ahead of a W "fare."

pvn Sep 21, 2017 11:36 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 28842432)
A FO with a FULL Y fare is likely to be ahead of a W "fare."

Well, maybe, we're all just guessing at how W ranks compared to main cabin fare buckets.

MSPeconomist Sep 21, 2017 12:16 pm

Originally Posted by pvn (Post 28842862)
Well, maybe, we're all just guessing at how W ranks compared to main cabin fare buckets.

That's why I said "is likely to be." I'm basing my statement on the reasoning that (1) DL *might* use the class of the underlying fare code for W "fares" and (2) most W fares in practice cost considerably less that FULL Y.