Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL ends GUM Jan 2018

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2018, 2:43 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA 1K MM, Subway Club Member
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
No. They're still there. Often next to strip clubs.
Yup, there are dozens of strip club, gun range, massage parlor combos in Tumon (the tourist area) all fully targeted to at Asian tourists. On this particular corner there is an Outback, Westin, amusement park and no fewer than 2 gun ranges, 3 strip clubs, and 5 or 6 massage joints. If you are a traveler and haven't been to Guam you should add it to your list. It a fascinating part of the United States that most people don't see.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 3:21 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by kenn0223
Yup, there are dozens of strip club, gun range, massage parlor combos in Tumon (the tourist area) all fully targeted to at Asian tourists. On this particular corner there is an Outback, Westin, amusement park and no fewer than 2 gun ranges, 3 strip clubs, and 5 or 6 massage joints. If you are a traveler and haven't been to Guam you should add it to your list. It a fascinating part of the United States that most people don't see.
If I had to guess approximately what year I was there, I'd say around 1985ish? I had a friend who was a civilian employee on the military base, so I got a tour of the base, and the AMAZING beach on the base with those breathtaking cliffs! I have no idea what the status of that area is these days!

Old Jan 24, 2018, 4:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by davetravels
If I had to guess approximately what year I was there, I'd say around 1985ish? I had a friend who was a civilian employee on the military base, so I got a tour of the base, and the AMAZING beach on the base with those breathtaking cliffs! I have no idea what the status of that area is these days!

Yes, some of the best stretches of beach on the island are found behind the fence of the Air Force base at the north end of Guam.

However, you can drive on the edge of the Air Force base to Ritidian Point, which is part of a wildlife refuge run by the feds. It is, by far, the most beautiful beautiful I have ever seen. Ever. Anywhere.
davetravels likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 4:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Just to be clear: There's a good chance they aren't actually in the business of giving massages. At least judging from the so-called therapists, who provide services until 1 or 2 a.m.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 12:43 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, UA Gold, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec
I grew up in Japan thanks to my father serving in the military and spent many summers in Guam. Definitely was a great alternative to the more crowded Oahu (not to mention a far shorter flight).

I’ve read that Hawaii is doing a great job marketing it’s non-Oahu islands in Japan lately, and tourists are starting to visit them over Guam and Bali, which were once flooded with Japanese tourists. HA has started HND - KOA service to add to JL’s service out of NRT, and both may add more routes in the future (perhaps OGG or LIH?). I think it’ll be big that NH is upgrading HND - HNL to A380s in the near future as well, as capacity will skyrocket, and they can move the 787-9s that are currently on the route to other islands.

Old Jan 25, 2018, 12:55 am

Ya, if you have Anderson base access Tarague Beach is amazing, however Guam National Wildlife Refuge is pretty good too.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 6:51 am
Suspended

however Guam National Wildlife Refuge is pretty good too.
Yeah. Ritidian Point. As I said earlier, I think it is the best beach I have ever seen. Access is bad as it's closed on federal holidays, like Memorial Day or whatever, but it is worth visiting.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 6:49 pm
Suspended

Paging Delta.

In its latest arrival report, the Guam Visitors Bureau said the island welcomed 145,817 visitors last August, “becoming the best August — and the best month overall — in visitor numbers.”

GVB said August 2018 numbers eclipsed the previous record made in August 2016 with 144,758 visitors.

“Achieving the best August in visitor arrivals is a testament to the efforts being made to continue to grow and diversify our top economic driver and keep our unemployment rate low,” Gov. Eddie Baza Calvo said.

Guam’s seat capacity has since increased. United Airlines is reintroducing its Boeing 777-200 aircraft on two of three daily flights from Tokyo to Guam starting Oct. 28. The airline will also restore four weekly flights between Guam and Nagoya from Dec. 2, 2018 through the end of March 2019.

The additional four flights add more than 1,000 seats per week and over 16,000 seats between Guam and Japan to meet the increasing demand during the upcoming winter season as well as add convenient evening departure times in addition to the current morning departures.

Japan Airlines has decided to extend its second daily flights from Narita to Guam through March 2019. Jeju Air’s daily flights between Osaka and Guam launched on July 21 on a Boeing 737-800.

Additionally, Guam has 471 total charter flights from Japan for Calendar Year 2018, which is more than twice the amount from last year.

Marianas Variety - Guam tourism bounces back
Old Oct 11, 2018, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Pretty obvious that DL made a conscious decision to dump GUM and the southeast Asia beach market... note that they also killed off ROR and SPN during the reduction of flights from NRT. I'd be pretty surprised if they bring those back. They're pushing the traffic through ICN and codeshare with KE to get to GUM (or ROR).
Often1 and CHOPCHOP767 like this.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 8:11 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by rylan
Pretty obvious that DL made a conscious decision to dump GUM and the southeast Asia beach market... note that they also killed off ROR and SPN during the reduction of flights from NRT. I'd be pretty surprised if they bring those back. They're pushing the traffic through ICN and codeshare with KE to get to GUM (or ROR).
Agree of course. hockeyinsider has been in denial since page 1 of this thread, and clearly still is
Old Oct 11, 2018, 10:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by wolfpacktrojan
I grew up in Japan thanks to my father serving in the military and spent many summers in Guam. Definitely was a great alternative to the more crowded Oahu (not to mention a far shorter flight).

I’ve read that Hawaii is doing a great job marketing it’s non-Oahu islands in Japan lately, and tourists are starting to visit them over Guam and Bali, which were once flooded with Japanese tourists. HA has started HND - KOA service to add to JL’s service out of NRT, and both may add more routes in the future (perhaps OGG or LIH?). I think it’ll be big that NH is upgrading HND - HNL to A380s in the near future as well, as capacity will skyrocket, and they can move the 787-9s that are currently on the route to other islands.

Let me preface by saying that I've enjoyed many visits to Guam back in my Navy days, but I've heard Guam referred to within the islands of Japan as the "poor man's Hawaii". I suspect DL revenue management realized this and subsequently axed the flight.
Old Oct 11, 2018, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
Let me preface by saying that I've enjoyed many visits to Guam back in my Navy days, but I've heard Guam referred to within the islands of Japan as the "poor man's Hawaii". I suspect DL revenue management realized this and subsequently axed the flight.
I don't claim to be an expert on Japanese culture but I am on-island at least once a month and get the impression that Guam is on the cheaper end of beach destinations for the Japanese (and Korean) visitors. It also seems to skew younger, especially over the last few years.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 1:22 am

Programs: former MD-88 jumpseat Medallion. DL FO, AA PLT PRO. Marriott LT Plat.
It is good to see Guam traffic rebounding, although since North Korea is decidedly less trigger-happy than they were 12 months ago, maybe this isn't surprising that Japanese and Korean vacationers are returning.

The difference is that Guam serves a different ROLE in United's network than it did for Delta, something certain posters have a hard time grasping. Per UA's website, they still serve 11 nonstop destinations from GUM, plus stations on the Milk Run that aren't mentioned, and its obviously a large transit point for them for folks coming from around Micronesia. Putting a 777 back on GUM-NRT may also serve a broader benefit in their network besides just taking more people to GUM.

Summer 2016 saw 5 dedicated 757s for Delta in Asia, running NRT-GUM / SPN / ROR / KIX, and KIX-GUM with a mix of turns and overnights. After that summer, only 2 757's were remaining, doing basically day-time turns to GUM and SPN, plus the ROR overnight. Except for ROR, those didn't even connect with Delta's NRT TPAC bank back to the states, so for awhile prior to the stations closing, DL wasn't even really chasing US passengers anymore (You can debate whether or not they should have been). Those 757s are all back state-side now. The beach markets may still have a place in Delta's revenue portfolio, but it's pretty clear they were unable to hold their useful purpose in the airline's NETWORK portfolio.

I'm nostalgic and would love to see the Widget flying Asia / interport markets again, but it would be unlikely to send a small sub-fleet of planes back over to Asia to run a limited GUM / SPN operation again- you would likely need 4-5 planes to do anything meaningful over there, and removing that number of planes from the current profitable domestic flying probably isn't going to happen, especially when you can have KE do it for you.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 7:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by rylan
Originally Posted by kjnangre
Agree of course. hockeyinsider has been in denial since page 1 of this thread, and clearly still is
I'm not denying it. I think it's crap and I think it's been proven that Delta's reason for exiting Guam was a lie. It was obviously a strategic re-alignment of its markets, which was proved when they exited Saipan and Palau. Insteaf o being honest, they lied and claimed it was about a collapse in Japanese passengers. Delta should have been honest about the real reasons it was abandoning Americans on Guam, less than a year after promising it was committed to flying the beach routes from Tokyo–Narita.

Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
I don't claim to be an expert on Japanese culture but I am on-island at least once a month and get the impression that Guam is on the cheaper end of beach destinations for the Japanese (and Korean) visitors. It also seems to skew younger, especially over the last few years.
There's no doubt that Guam is cheaper, although airfares were about the same when I used to fly there. Guam is also geographically closer to Japan, which means someone from Japan can visit Guam for a weekend as opposed to a longer stay as is common in Hawaii. Tokyo–Guam is about three hours whereas Tokyo–Hawaii is about eight hours. That's a huge difference. For example, the average Japanese visitor to Hawaii spends almost two weeks there. For Guam the average Japanese visitor stays 2–3 nights.

Originally Posted by PurdueFlyer
It is good to see Guam traffic rebounding, although since North Korea is decidedly less trigger-happy than they were 12 months ago, maybe this isn't surprising that Japanese and Korean vacationers are returning.

The difference is that Guam serves a different ROLE in United's network than it did for Delta, something certain posters have a hard time grasping. Per UA's website, they still serve 11 nonstop destinations from GUM, plus stations on the Milk Run that aren't mentioned, and its obviously a large transit point for them for folks coming from around Micronesia. Putting a 777 back on GUM-NRT may also serve a broader benefit in their network besides just taking more people to GUM.

Summer 2016 saw 5 dedicated 757s for Delta in Asia, running NRT-GUM / SPN / ROR / KIX, and KIX-GUM with a mix of turns and overnights. After that summer, only 2 757's were remaining, doing basically day-time turns to GUM and SPN, plus the ROR overnight. Except for ROR, those didn't even connect with Delta's NRT TPAC bank back to the states, so for awhile prior to the stations closing, DL wasn't even really chasing US passengers anymore (You can debate whether or not they should have been). Those 757s are all back state-side now. The beach markets may still have a place in Delta's revenue portfolio, but it's pretty clear they were unable to hold their useful purpose in the airline's NETWORK portfolio.

I'm nostalgic and would love to see the Widget flying Asia / interport markets again, but it would be unlikely to send a small sub-fleet of planes back over to Asia to run a limited GUM / SPN operation again- you would likely need 4-5 planes to do anything meaningful over there, and removing that number of planes from the current profitable domestic flying probably isn't going to happen, especially when you can have KE do it for you.
Of course. I don't think Delta will return, unless Guam's numbers go through the roof or there is a subsidy from either the federal government or the Guam government.
Old Oct 12, 2018, 11:00 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
We're talking about the local tourism authority's puff piece.

The question is not traffic but rather PRASM. Nobody here has a clue what DL's PRASM was or what the PRASM is on the routes to which it repurposed its aircraft and crew. But, given that its downscale from HI and HI is not exactly upscale, the wisdom of DL's strategy is likely just fine.

Put another way, there are not likely any DL shareholders complaining about the strategy.
CHOPCHOP767 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.