FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   New York to Charleston WV MD-88 options (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1867415-new-york-charleston-wv-md-88-options.html)

Stefanc Sep 17, 2017 5:50 pm

New York to Charleston WV MD-88 options

Hello,

I will be flying from New York to Charleston WV on either the 5th or 6th July 2018 and am hoping to fly on an MD-88.

Are there any Delta or American options that I can take with one or two MD-88's?

Thanks in advance!

Jon_R Sep 17, 2017 6:16 pm

On delta I don't see any direct flights NYC to Charleston WV.

You can get there EWR to Charleston WV via Atlanta on a MD 88.

jk88usa Sep 17, 2017 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by Stefanc (Post 28827232)
Hello,

I will be flying from New York to Charleston WV on either the 5th or 6th July 2018 and am hoping to fly on an MD-88.

Are there any Delta or American options that I can take with one or two MD-88's?

Thanks in advance!

That's a long ways off... so with schedule changes if your goal is really to get on an MD88 you should wait honestly until next March or April before booking (and I'm not sure how much longer before the 88 is nearly retired or is really hard to find on DL).

That being said... Your best bet for an MD88 out of NYC is via EWR... They stopped flying them into LGA a few months back (and I'm pretty sure they dont do many out of JFK?). I know EWR sees a lot more MD-XX aircraft though
though.

In Charleston you're pretty much either going to be on a regional jet or a 717 on Delta AFAIK. Again would recommend you wait but EWR-ATL-CHS might be best bet

steveholt Sep 17, 2017 6:31 pm

Book a flight in Delta Comfort (W class) for the day which you want to fly on where there's currently an MD-88, whatever the cheapest routing is. On the day of your actual flight, if there's a plane change, use the same-day confirm option ($75, assuming you don't have Delta status) to change onto a flight with an MD-88.

I'm suggesting Comfort because regular economy tickets need the same fare class to be available, which isn't often true the day of the flight. W class is available on the day of flight far more frequently. Combine this with booking an EWR-ATL leg as the previous poster suggested and your chances of ending up on an MD-88 are pretty sound.

Stefanc Sep 17, 2017 10:17 pm

Great! Thanks for the details, I have now found flights with a change at Atlanta that could possibly be two MD-88's or a mix of an MD-88 and a 717 :)

jwhuffman Sep 18, 2017 1:30 am

Originally Posted by jk88usa (Post 28827305)
That's a long ways off... so with schedule changes if your goal is really to get on an MD88 you should wait honestly until next March or April before booking (and I'm not sure how much longer before the 88 is nearly retired or is really hard to find on DL).

That being said... Your best bet for an MD88 out of NYC is via EWR... They stopped flying them into LGA a few months back (and I'm pretty sure they dont do many out of JFK?). I know EWR sees a lot more MD-XX aircraft though
though.

In Charleston you're pretty much either going to be on a regional jet or a 717 on Delta AFAIK. Again would recommend you wait but EWR-ATL-CHS might be best bet

CHS is Charleston, SC not Charleston, WV, which is the airport the Op was looking for, which the airport code is CRW. All flights into CRW are CRJ 100/200 with the exception of the last flight, which alternates between a CRJ-700, A319, 73W, and 717 depending on the day of week and month of travel.

CPMaverick Sep 18, 2017 1:34 am

Originally Posted by Stefanc (Post 28827883)
Great! Thanks for the details, I have now found flights with a change at Atlanta that could possibly be two MD-88's or a mix of an MD-88 and a 717 :)

I'm afraid you might not be flying to WV then... which airport is your destination?

Stefanc Sep 18, 2017 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by CPMaverick (Post 28828291)
I'm afraid you might not be flying to WV then... which airport is your destination?

WV is the destination airport. There are a number of options in July with 717's and one or two with an MD-88 for the first leg.

Stefanc Oct 12, 2018 11:05 am

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...209d46665.jpeg
A very late reply however managed to bag this beauty from Charleston SC - Atlanta with a change onto the same plane to Nashville