Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Carry-On Rule?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2017, 12:39 pm
Original Poster

Carry-On Rule?

I'm a long-time DL diamond medallion flyer and I'm hoping you guys could clarify the actual and normally executed DL rules regarding carry-on bags? I had a small suitcase and a laptop case. On the way to the gate, I stopped for some much needed medicine (I saw there might be dogs on board and needed Claritin). At the shop I realized I should get a gift for my friend so I purchased him a small shot glass. Together, the the items in the plastic bag was no smaller than an adult fist. The gate agent stopped me from boarding and told me I was trying to "sneak" another carry-on bag onboard. It was beyond condescending. She then told me to put the tiny bag into my very narrow leather laptop case. She watched, with dozens of people waiting, as I shoved this bag into the case and smiled as the shot glass broke into a number of pieces - telling me to "plan ahead" next time.

Its only a shot glass, but it seems crazy with a policy that is beyond selectively enforced. I'm not trying to bring another roller bag or a duffel bag, it was an item the size of a fist that could easily fit into the seatback pocket. I've seen people bring bags of food much larger without issue, even as a third carry on, including multiple on the same flight. Any thoughts on if my anger is warranted?
Old Sep 17, 2017, 1:07 pm

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Selectively enforced hits it on the nose.

Technically, carrying food on in a separate bag could be a third item. Most of the time the rule is not enforced, even if the third or fourth item is much bigger than yours.

However, I have seen gate agents make people consolidate their items and you don't have much choice.

Once there was a person standing first in line to board and I noticed he had three items. The gate agent made more than one announcement that only two items were allowed and this person never paid attention (probably on purpose). When boarding started the gate agent would not let him on board with the three items. As I walked past I heard him saying something to the effect that I always am allowed to do this. Guess what - didn't work this time.

I'm not taking either side, but it would be nice if this was consistent along with other policies that are not consistent.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 1:24 pm

Programs: DL DM
More importantly, how does a shot class shatter into pieces when being put into a laptop bag? Was it made of ice?
Old Sep 17, 2017, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by stencil
More importantly, how does a shot class shatter into pieces when being put into a laptop bag? Was it made of ice?
Valid question - it was relatively thin glass but the bag was very full and didn't have much give when shoving an object in it. The whole thing was just silly.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 1:30 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by miraclebear2003
Selectively enforced hits it on the nose.

...As I walked past I heard him saying something to the effect that I always am allowed to do this...
Which illustrates what we all wish the rule could be: I can get away with what makes sense to me while nobody else can.

FWIW, I carry a duffel bag into which I can fit other things should there be a need. On international trips, I'll often have a very small backpack with clothes, a bag with cords and a bag with food in there in addition to my computer bag. the duffel meets the one-bad carryon rule but as soon as I get on, the bags go to different place. (In front on the floor, overhead and in the pocket.)
Old Sep 17, 2017, 1:30 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Why would it ever be good to put something that shatters from simply being placed in a laptop bag into the seatback pocket? That makes no sense.

If the item was that delicate, the pocket would be far worse for it than a bag,

On selective enforcement. Yes. I would agree they should enforce rules much stringer. But that is not a valid excuse for ignoring the rules.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by miraclebear2003
I'm not taking either side, but it would be nice if this was consistent along with other policies that are not consistent.
That would probably head in the direction of tighter enforcement.

Delta's rule is 1 carry-on plus 1 personal item, or 1+1 of liked-sized items. Some articles may be carried supplementally. Empty shot glasses aren't on the list.

Additional Approved Items
The following items do not count as personal items (they’re freebies):
A jacket and/or umbrella
Food or drink purchased after clearing the security checkpoint
Duty-free merchandise
Special items like strollers, child restraint seats or assistive devices such as wheelchairs or crutches

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en.../carry-on.html

There is no published Diamond/DYKWIA allowance.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 1:42 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Why are non revs allowed to bring on more than 2 bags?
chica likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 1:43 pm

Programs: Delta-DM, United, Hilton-DM, SPG-PLTM
My 1st guess is you were in ATL.

Did you have a jacket? Could you not put the shot glass in your pocket?

I experienced this a few times - with one particular gate agent, she does not play - but she takes it to the extreme, which is just ridiculous and uncalled for, IMO.

It seems many times you have gate agents like this - enforcing something so ridiculous, and then other gate agents let people walk on with cargo carriers
Old Sep 17, 2017, 2:02 pm

Programs: Skymiles GM
Originally Posted by apodo77
Why are non revs allowed to bring on more than 2 bags?
Who said they are?
Old Sep 17, 2017, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
That would probably head in the direction of tighter enforcement.

Delta's rule is 1 carry-on plus 1 personal item, or 1+1 of liked-sized items. Some articles may be carried supplementally. Empty shot glasses aren't on the list. Also could claim its duty free merchandise.

Additional Approved Items
The following items do not count as personal items (they’re freebies):
A jacket and/or umbrella
Food or drink purchased after clearing the security checkpoint
Duty-free merchandise
Special items like strollers, child restraint seats or assistive devices such as wheelchairs or crutches

https://www.delta.com/content/www/en.../carry-on.html

There is no published Diamond/DYKWIA allowance.
Put water in it and it goes through? If drink (which would be in a cup) is allowed i have a hard time seeing why a shot glass wouldn't.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 2:52 pm

It is an agent thing. A guy in front of me to board in Atl was arguing the other day over the size of his carry on. the gate agent told him it was too big he replied with the standard but I always use it and it fits. Gate agent said fitting and being too big are different things and the gate agents have full discretion and that bag is getting gate checked. And that pretty much sums it up. There are rules which may or may not be inforced depending on the gate agent. Now this same gate agent wouldn't let me on with a bag of popcorn as my third item and he kind of growled when I stuck it in my pocket and boarded
Old Sep 17, 2017, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyerCO
Put water in it and it goes through? If drink (which would be in a cup) is allowed i have a hard time seeing why a shot glass wouldn't.
^
Or if bought at the duty free.
OP got boned, pure and simple. That little bag qualified as a "freebie" regardless of contents.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 3:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
1. Did the GA want/expect you to throw the popcorn away or <yikes> give it to him?

2. I assume that when you were boarding, it took you a really long time to take the popcorn back out of your pocket and store it at your seat as you had planned? Some GAs understand delays even if they don't understand common sense or customer service.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 3:06 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
This is ridiculous. When Delta wants to bring back meals for all pax on all flights then GA's can be picky about this. Of course people bring on a meal or other small item purchased in the airport in addition to their carry on baggage.
99% of GA's, being reasonable people, don't go on a power trip like in this example.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.