Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Carry-On Rule?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2017, 8:05 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat 100/LT Gold, Marriott Plat, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Sorry, I often agree with you but your logic here is absurd. This is like the people who claimed that legalizing gay marriage would lead to legalizing relationships with animals. A logical fallacy. Stop the apologies for DL and just acknowledge that this GA was out of line.

When I fly I don't see a widespread problem of carry ons from airport purchases, I just don't. I don't think most people spend a lot of money at the airport as items tend to be grossly overpriced. Honestly, they should just let you bring on whatever you purchased in the terminal and not include it in the carry on allowance.
Completely agree with JDR here. The third bag/item should have been allowed in this case as it was an in-airport purchase. Generally when GAs see me carrying a small plastic bag (that smells like food from the airport) they don't even bring it up.

Doesn't matter that the shot glass was added to it. I also don't get how the OP couldn't either hold the shot glass (hidden from GA view), put it in a jacket pocket, in an extra pants pocket, etc. - just long enough to pass the podium, and then they are all set.

I hate when GAs belittle any customer - frequent flyer or first-time flyer - for violations of carry on rules. As long as the customer isn't trying to bring on more than one roller, they should be courteous when addressing them. LGA seemed to have a problem with this awhile back, but now ATL sticks out as having GAs on power trips nowadays.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by USCTrojan83
Valid question - it was relatively thin glass but the bag was very full and didn't have much give when shoving an object in it. The whole thing was just silly.
Thinking...if so fragile...why didn't you just put in a pants pocket?
Old Sep 18, 2017, 10:50 am

Programs: DL, Marriott & IHG Platty; HH Diamonte
I have always found it better to be 'proactive' rather than 'reactive' in life. This seems like a reactive moment even though you knew the rules. Yes, somewhat silly, but to avoid the hassle in the future follow the rules and anticipate the mentally challenged GA that you just gave one of the few chances in life for them to boss someone around.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 11:45 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Additional Approved Items
The following items do not count as personal items (they’re freebies):
A jacket and/or umbrella
Food or drink purchased after clearing the security checkpoint
Duty-free merchandise
Special items like strollers, child restraint seats or assistive devices such as wheelchairs or crutches
I thought pillows used to be on the list. I got challenged once in Atlanta for having pillow and umbrella, and I responded they were on the list. But turns out the pillow was not.

David
Old Sep 18, 2017, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Prem1K, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by OHDL1
Thinking...if so fragile...why didn't you just put in a pants pocket?
That strikes me as an excellent reason *not* to put it in a pants pocket.

O/H
DiverDave likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.