Korean Air to Group 1 Partner???

Old Sep 16, 2017, 12:40 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM/360; AA EP
Korean Air to Group 1 Partner???

Anyone have any news or ideas on when Korean will be "promoted" to a Group 1 partner? Flying them today is basically a waste, but an upgrade would make them far more attractive to Asia.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 1:08 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by map724
Flying them today is basically a waste
Do you mean they won't transport you to your destination?!?!?

Old Sep 16, 2017, 1:17 pm

Programs: DL Charter DM/DM/2MM, IHG Diamond Elite
Anyone have any news or ideas on when Korean will be "promoted" to a Group 1 partner? Flying them today is basically a waste, but an upgrade would make them far more attractive to Asia.
As would being awarded MQMs!
Old Sep 16, 2017, 1:21 pm

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
The agreement they signed this summer is still awaiting government(s) approval. Not sure if that will speed up Group 1.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 3:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Are you worried about MQM earnings or tying to use a GUC to upgrade on a KE operated flight? I'm confused.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM/360; AA EP
MQM. I could care less about GUCs.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RRDD
The agreement they signed this summer is still awaiting government(s) approval. Not sure if that will speed up Group 1.
DL doesn't need government approval to move KE to Group 1.@:-)
Old Sep 18, 2017, 3:39 pm

This would be huge for me.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 3:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA Plat, Hertz Pres. Club. SPG Gold
Hypothetical question:

If they moved KE to group 1 would that jeopardize MU being bumped or would they still have two group 1 Asian partners? I realize both AF/KL are group 1 and they're both European carriers, but I just thought that was because they were the same operating group?
Old Sep 18, 2017, 3:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by FSUnole03
Hypothetical question:

If they moved KE to group 1 would that jeopardize MU being bumped or would they still have two group 1 Asian partners? I realize both AF/KL are group 1 and they're both European carriers, but I just thought that was because they were the same operating group?
One has nothing to do with other. Besides DL owns part of MU and has a board member. MU isn't going anywhere.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 4:14 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
I also agree that MU is not going away. More likely CZ and CI move even further down the food chain. At least "implicitly" via KE moving up where they stay in place.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 4:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Aren't the Virgins effectively group 1? That would make at least two group 1 partners in Europe: VS and AF/KLM.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 4:27 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by FSUnole03
Hypothetical question:

AZ is also group 1, so there's clearly not any sort of soft rule against having multiple group 1 partners in a given region.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 5:35 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Nobody knows.

I can say with a great deal of confidence that within the next year, KE might move to group 1.
In2ishn likes this.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 5:52 pm

Programs: DL-Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by kjnangre
Nobody knows.

I can say with a great deal of confidence that within the next year, KE might move to group 1.

Great deal of confidence and "might" in the same sentence?

I agree but made me chuckle the way u worded that

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.