Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Gate Agent Problem

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2017, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by Traveller
How did you get to the gate without valid tickets/boarding passes?
The new boarding passes were given to me when I checked my bag in Atlanta.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 2:58 pm

Steps of this incident. original reservation was MCO-ATL-DCA
1. Arrived at MCO for 1730 flight at 1400. Shortly after arrival the flight was cancelled due to weather.
2. Called Skymiles member line immediately and explained it was very important we get to DC. Agent searched for alternate flights but none were available. I offered to drive to ATL and fly from there. We already had seat assignments
3. Agent said I will issue a ticket for that segment. Sorry about the MCO flight cancellation.
4. Immediately received a confirmation email. Also, checked my Skymiles app and the website and noted new boarding passes OU [complementary upgrade] seat 3A and 3B.
5. Arrived at ATL several hours before flight. Went to Sky Priority check in to check my bag. Was issued boarding passes for 3A and 3B.
6. Was told by gate agent I didn't have seat and may not get one.
History shows on Delta's system I had seats one hour before boarding started according to Delta representative who investigated later.
I have the boarding passes.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 3:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by apodo77
Had a crap GA (wearing a red polo) at ATL yesterday on 2150. He was rude and condescending to multiple people while checking bags due to overhead bin space being "full" (it wasn't once on board).
There was a red coat in the jetway and I asked her the gentlemans name (his badge was turned around and not visible) and she refused to give it to me and kind of laughed it off and walked away.
Please report both the GA and the redcoat.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 3:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by carbpow
1. Arrived at MCO for 1730 flight at 1400. Shortly after arrival the flight was cancelled due to weather.
2. Called Skymiles member line immediately and explained it was very important we get to DC. Agent searched for alternate flights but none were available. I offered to drive to ATL and fly from there. We already had seat assignments
3. Agent said I will issue a ticket for that segment. Sorry about the MCO flight cancellation.
4. Immediately received a confirmation email. Also, checked my Skymiles app and the website and noted new boarding passes OU [complementary upgrade] seat 3A and 3B.
5. Arrived at ATL several hours before flight. Went to Sky Priority check in to check my bag. Was issued boarding passes for 3A and 3B.
History shows on Delta's system I had seats one hour before boarding started according to Delta representative who investigated later.
4. Did the email just show a change to your reservation or were the tickets reissued too?

Getting boarding passes would seem to suggest that everything was OK, but without status you shold not have received upgrades to FC. IMO the GA should have kicked you back to coach since there were elites on the upgrade list but not kicked you off the flight.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 3:48 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
There are inconsistencies in the timing of this. If the OP arrived at MCO at 1400, dealt with the cancelled flight, contacted Delta to rebook, returned to parking garage for car, made the six-hour drive to ATL, and parked the car again, there is no way to arrive at ATL "several hours" before the last flight ATL-DCA, which departs at 10:05PM
Old Sep 16, 2017, 4:25 pm

Programs: BR Diamond, Dynasty Flyer Paragon, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by CarmenOM
There are inconsistencies in the timing of this. If the OP arrived at MCO at 1400, dealt with the cancelled flight, contacted Delta to rebook, returned to parking garage for car, made the six-hour drive to ATL, and parked the car again, there is no way to arrive at ATL "several hours" before the last flight ATL-DCA, which departs at 10:05PM
Perhaps OP flew the next day? The timeline is full of inconsistencies, it is so hard to follow!
Old Sep 16, 2017, 5:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
While the timing is off, this version, unlike the original, at least makes some sense. If OP does pursue this with DL, he needs to be absolutely accurate as DL can see when every agent made every entry. If OP is uncertain, just stick with "approximately."

I suspect that in the mess surrounding Irma, agents were pressed into service and supervisors were not available. The agent with whom OP spoke, likely did rebook OP on another ticket and into F because the flight was likely sold out in Y. While that is not the process which ought to occur, it is what did occur. (Supervisor ought to have obtained permission to upgrade #1 and 2 and then issue the Y seats to OP).

But, somewhere along the way, DL did not ticket the new ATL-DCA, and the gate kicked out the BP's because they were not associated with a ticket (a cursory glance would have shown the original ticket refunded and reservation cancelled).

OP really does not have a beef about being seated in Y. That is where he was ticketed. The GA can't do what OP thinks on her "own accord." The system handles it for her and OP as a non-elite can't support an upgrade, so back to steerage he goes.

My advice is contrary to OP's. The key is an e-ticket. Nothing short of an e-ticket gets you onboard a flight. BP's can be reprinted, but e-tickets need to be issued. The easiest thing here would have been to ask an MCO agent to issue paper tickets. DL hates this and it should not be necessary in 2017, but that is the easiest solution.

OP can complain to DL, but DL is likely to respond that it regrets the situation and hopes that OP understands that Irma created unique challenges. If DL does do an internal look, the phone agent will have learned a lesson: don't do anyone any favors. Just cancel the MCO-DCA ticket if OP wants and issue a refund. Then sell a new ATL-DCA and be done with it.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 5:11 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
I think that under the circumstances of Hurricane Irma, the two people involved were fortunate that Delta somehow got them to their destination.
Navig8R likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 6:07 pm

The new boarding passes were given to me when I checked my bag in Atlanta.
By the way I have "status" , currently Platinum and have been for quite a few years I've flown 150000 miles thus far this year with Delta.
I most likely will not be using Delta as much in the future. I have noticed their customer service going down in general over the past couple of years. Ny experience recently just confirms this. As I fly primarily internationally there are better options anyway.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 6:31 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
By the way I have "status" , currently Platinum and have been for quite a few years I've flown 150000 miles thus far this year with Delta.
I most likely will not be using Delta as much in the future. I have noticed their customer service going down in general over the past couple of years. Ny experience recently just confirms this. As I fly primarily internationally there are better options anyway.
Are you the OP?
Navig8R likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 6:33 pm

Programs: DL-DM MM & RW, UAL- PS, Marriott Lifetime PLT, SPG-PLT, Hilton-Gold
You may want to read the TOS of the forum....

You may not use multiple usernames and doing so will subject you to suspension of all usernames you have registered. The only exception to this rule is approved travel industry professionals, who may also have a personal username in addition to their official company username. Contact the Community Director for such approval.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 6:53 pm

Programs: Delta DM
Originally Posted by Often1
My advice is contrary to OP's. The key is an e-ticket. Nothing short of an e-ticket gets you onboard a flight. BP's can be reprinted, but e-tickets need to be issued. The easiest thing here would have been to ask an MCO agent to issue paper tickets. DL hates this and it should not be necessary in 2017, but that is the easiest solution.
While I have been issued a paper ticket during IRROPS before, what exactly is the benefit here of a paper ticket instead of getting the e-ticket reissued?
Old Sep 16, 2017, 6:55 pm

Moderator please delete all user names associated with my account. Close my account. Apparently there has been a foul up when I reactivated my account and it is confusing people
Old Sep 16, 2017, 7:35 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
This thread is just nuts lol
jamiestr likes this.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 8:08 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by hi55us
This thread is just nuts lol
no kidding

1) we have people just assuming for no apparent reason that OP has no status and freaking out that he got an upgrade that he is supposedly not entitled to

2) I ask if someone is the OP and the next response is "omg call the police the RULES are being BROKEN"
CrazyEddie likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.